An Old School Catholic Message Board

Iraq War

Timothy

What are your thoughts on the war in Iraq?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='BeenaBobba' date='May 13 2005, 10:37 PM'] Well, if the United States has no authority, then the United States should not have started the war. Do you think the war is immoral, then, because it is waged by an illegitimate nation? And why do you think the U.N. lacks authority? I'm not sure that I understand your stance. [/quote]
I do not think that any nation which expressly denies the authority of God is legitiment, therefore I would say that the United States has never been legitement, ( Revolutionary France, communist nations etc would also not be legit) still they are in Power and therefore they are responsable to defend the subjets of their domain regardless. I am not sure if an illegitatent govenment can have a Just War. I have never been comfortable with the general interpretation of the legit authority requirment. all people hsve the authority to preform self defense so I think anyone can legitamently wage a defensve war, certianly rebelion agianst unjust rulers can also be waged, it is a very touchy subject there.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Q the Ninja' date='May 14 2005, 01:29 AM'] Our government didn't deny the authority of God... [/quote]
oh yes it did read some of the constitutional confrences. The issue of God not being in the Constitution was a big one, Him not being in there was done on purpose to seperate the country from Him and to show that authority came from the People and not from God. Have you read Rousseau, that is where our country comes from and anyone who doubtd it need only read Thomas Jefferson or Ben Franklin to see that this is the Case.

Don John of Austria

sorry multiple post

Edited by Don John of Austria

Q the Ninja

Yes, but our money still holds "In God we trust."

Have you ever read Washington? Man did he ever talk about the great use of religion in our country.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Q the Ninja' date='May 14 2005, 02:01 AM'] Yes, but our money still holds "In God we trust."

Have you ever read Washington? Man did he ever talk about the great use of religion in our country. [/quote]
Yes I have, and he also largly talks about Piety as a social control. The Role of religion is only thought of as a servent of the State. He certianly NEVER claims that the Authoity of the State comes from God.

"In God we trust" was added to our money during the Civil War and the Letter proposing it to the secratary of the treasury made it's case based on the fact that history ( should the North lose ) would remember the US as a heathen Nation. This is hardly a case for us not being founded as a heathen nation, in fact it lends creddence to the position that it was so founded.