An Old School Catholic Message Board

Infidel Challenge #2

Mateo el Feo

Mateo el Feo

According to the Hindu apologist:
[quote]Jesus has (purposefully) changed everything his father had told earlier to the Jews.[/quote]

He quotes the Holy Bible:
[quote name='Isaiah 65:16 (first half)']By which he will be blessed on whom a blessing is invoked in the land; He who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth;[/quote]

[quote name='Matthew 5:34' date=' 37'](34)But I say to you, do not swear at all; not by heaven, for it is God's throne;
(37)Let your 'Yes' mean 'Yes,' and your 'No' mean 'No.' Anything more is from the evil one.[/quote]

This question was answered in St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica ([url="http://www.newadvent.org/summa/"]main link[/url]):

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/summa/308902.htm"]Whether it is lawful to swear? (link)[/url]

Yawn...I love the Summa.

MichaelFilo

Convinient. I think it is quite clear that this man needs to be silenced, and since this thread lacks any clear purpose since the first post closed the debate, maybe it should be dedicated on finding a way to invite this fellow to our phorum, or if we should.

God bless,
Mikey

cmotherofpirl

There is nothing wrong with swearing to tell the truth. We do it every time we go to court.

This point Jesus is trying to make is very different. In private oaths, people were altering oaths to negate them. Instead of swearing by God, they were swearing by God throne, on heaven. etc and thinking if they did it that way they really didn't count.
Because if God wasn't really invoked they wouldn't have to keep their word. :)

Edited by cmotherofpirl

Paphnutius

One thing to keep in mind for future purposes on such things, because I can see him bringing in the lex talionis, is that Christ came to fulfill the law, not to abolish it. If there are changes or something along those lines from the OT then that is because the law was fulfilled in Christ.