An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interracial dating/marriage

Krush2k2

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='May 8 2005, 12:15 AM'] Usually if someone is dating or marrying outside their religion they are not too worried about being staunchly anything anyway.  People who look for true love look for it in the church they go to and/or friends that they have. They try to understand and, if the other is lack, lead one another to a deeper conversion.  They don't simply say, "Well, I'm Catholic and your Baptist, but, I don't really care about that."
My point is that marriage should be something that causes one to grow spiritually, if it is a worthwhile marriage, not something that stifles religious growth. [/quote]
I think you have to be *very* careful when you approach this topic. I agree that it is ideal to find a spouse who holds and cherishes the same beliefs as you, but thats not to say that everyone who gets married to someone of a different faith isn't staunch in their beliefs. I know there are several amazing devout Catholics on this phorum who have solid marriages to someone of a different religion and they would probably take great offense at the indication that they aren't worried about "being staunchly anything." (Obviously you can never *expect* to change someone, but if they are willing to change or raise the children Catholic then I don't think its all that horrible to marry someone of a different religion, maybe not ideal but not horrible.)

And on to inter-racial marriages/dating, I don't think that being "multu-racial" has had any adverse effect on my faith (that is being the direct result of an "inter-racial" marriage). lol

Edited by IcePrincessKRS