An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jansenism

Matt Black

Matt Black

Anyone know much about this? I guess I could Google for it but I'd be interested in knowing what posters know and think about it? IIRC, it was started as a heterodox movement within 17th century Catholicism by Cornelius Jansen, Bishop of Ypres in modern Belgium, and really took off in Louis XIV's France involving in particular the convent of Port-Royal, and was I think condemned as heretical ultimately by the Catholic Church. Some questions:-

1. What are/ were the nuances of Jansenist theology?
2. What is the Catholic Church's current attitude towards it?
3. Are there any extant groups either within or outwith the Catholic Church who still hold to Jansenism?
4. To what extent did it/ could it/ could it have acted as a bridge between Catholicism and Protestantism?
5. What do posters generally think of it?

Yours in Christ

Matt

William Putnam

[quote name='Matt Black' date='May 9 2005, 06:18 AM']Anyone know much about this? I guess I could Google for it but I'd be interested in knowing what posters know and think about it? IIRC, it was started as a heterodox movement within 17th century Catholicism by Cornelius Jansen, Bishop of Ypres in modern Belgium, and really took off in Louis XIV's France involving in particular the convent of Port-Royal, and was I think condemned as heretical ultimately by the Catholic Church. Some questions:-

3. Are there any extant groups either within or outwith the Catholic Church who still hold to Jansenism?
4. To what extent did it/ could it/ could it have acted as a bridge between Catholicism and Protestantism?

Yours in Christ

Matt[/quote]
Not being familiar with the subject, I looked in the old 1913 [i]Catholic Encyclopedia[/i] and found a rather comprehensive article about it:

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08285a.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08285a.htm[/url]

Perhaps some of your questions can be answered within...

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

[i]Pillar and Foundation of Truth, the Church.[/i] (1 Tim 3:15)

Brother Adam

In Augustinus he emphasized the need of an irresistible grace from God for salvation. Since the grace is irresistible, the overtones of Jansenism are predestinationalist and deterministic. Jansenist ideas have survived among some due to its moral rigorism.

It was offically declared a heresy by Clement XI in 1713 and of course, remains so today.

There were some Jesuit groups in France who argued towards Jansenist theology but no well known groups today argue for such a theology as it has been condemned as heresy.

For those who are full 5 point Calvinists it would serve more to sever ties unless they would accept that such a position is heresy. For those who do not believe in irresistible grace it could serve in ecumenical dialogue to help find common ground.

It's unfortunate some would believe in such an idea and reject free will and ultimately a decision for Jesus Christ.

[i]What do posters generally think of it?[/i]

I think that in evil times, the tradtion minded can tend towards Jansenism. I think Jansenism is basically scruples [i]as a sect[/i]. Our Lord condemned the Church of Ephesus (Apoc. Chapter II) because they "had left thy first charity" - HIM. Though they were completely zealous and could not stand evil.

The Devotion to the Sacred Heart was another heavenly answer to the Janesnists...this devotion was not new, but it solidified anew the Heart of God that loves and not only wishes to live inside our own, but for us to rest inside of His.

To insert ourselves into His wounds and drink His blood...that's what Father Martin (RIP) had said. To be united with Christ Jesus.

Good questions.

William Putnam

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='May 9 2005, 07:25 AM']Hey Bill WHERE have you been hiding?[/quote]
Hah! I'm everywhere, being active in some conferences, letting others grow fallow a bit. I get banned from others, so I move around to see what kind of "trouble" I can stir up. And when you defend the Catholic faith that's trouble in the eyes of some. :)

I got into some serious disagreements with a couple of others in another forum concerning the "bread of life" discourse of John 6, and for the life of me, I could not get them to admit that verses 53 through 58 are as emphatically literal as you will ever find in scripture. I finally had to say "I'm tired of it" and move on...

So, I will languish here for a while, and do what I have to do... :duel:

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

[i]Pillar and Foundation of Truth, the Church.[/i] (1 Tim 3:15)