An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Divine Mercy

return2truth

return2truth

Since my return to the Church I have discovered the wonderful joy and power of praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy as well as its novena. I had never heard of it while growing up. I pray it every day and it has helped my tremendously with my recovery from my prior ways of living.

I would like to hear what the rest of you think about the Divine Mercy and I have a question. Since the Church officially recognizes the revelation of the Divine Mercy given to St. Faustina, does this mean that the Church sponsors the idea that even the most ardent unrepentant sinner, if they are an otherwise decent loving human being to their neighbor, can gain a reprieve from Hell at the hour of their death if prayers for them are offered to the Divine Mercy? If so, it sounds like Jesus has made an effort to make that narrow doorway to his kingdom a little bit wider?

What do you all think?

MichaelFilo

It is a beautiful prayer. And the promises made cannot be approved. The fact that they have been "accepted" by the Church shows that they aren't disaproved, and so are good for saying. However, they will only convert if THEY pray it. But I put much faith into it. I plan to start saying it with the rosary at Church during the summer.

God bless,
Mikey

I trust St. Faustina's message; her diary is amazing. I love the Divine Mercy devotions.

I believe the promise return2truth is talking about is this, from St. Faustina's diary, entry 811:

[quote] When I entered my solitude, I heard these words: [b]At the hour of their death, I defend as My own glory every soul that will say this chaplet; or when others say it for a dying person, the indulgence is the same. When this chaplet is said by the bedside of a dying person, God's anger is placated, unfathomable mercy envelops the soul, and the very depths of My tender mercy are moved for the sake of the sorrowful Passion of My Son.[/b] [/quote]

The dying person doesn't have to say the chaplet themselves.

Edited by philothea

MichaelFilo

Hmmm. Learn something new every day. Although, I think what I was saying applies to not-dieing people. IF they say it but once they will convert before death.

God bless,
Mikey

Yeah, I think you mean this, entry 687:

[quote]Once, as I was going down the hall to the kitchen, I heard these words in my soul: [b]Say unceasingly the chaplet that I have taught you. Whoever will recite it will receive great mercy at the hour of death. Priests will recommend it to sinners as their last hope of salvation. Even if there were a sinner most hardened, if he were to recite this chaplet only once, he would receive grace from My infinte mercy.  I desire that the whole world  know My infinite mercy.  I desire to grant unimaginable graces to those souls who trust in My mercy.[/b][/quote]

It's a BIG diary. :)

son_of_angels

As someone about to finish converting to the Catholic Church (I have already had an inner conversion to it) I can say that it is well nigh impossible to resist conversion once one has co-operated with Divine Will in the beautiful Chaplet of Divine Mercy. I truly do attribute my conversion to Divine Mercy and the prayers of the Lady of All Nations.
I don't know about all the ins and outs of how the Chaplet can work for the dying if only said by someone beside a dying person, but I know, if I heard the words, it would probably change my life and my death to the love of Jesus. His mercy is what works in our heart to turn us to Christ and his Church.

I must say, having been in a significantly less devout region of the world's Catholics (also known as Michigan/yankee country), I am appalled that many Catholics, and Christians in general, do not know about this devotion. Even if there was not an apparition of our Lord associated with it, one would think that the prayers alone would be timeless. We need to be apostles of divine mercy to people everywhere! God wants to save souls not just from Hell after life, but the Hell of existence in this life, and the Divine Mercy is an angelic way to do that.

MilesChristi

[quote]I am appalled that many Catholics, and Christians in general, do not know about this devotion. Even if there was not an apparition of our Lord associated with it, one would think that the prayers alone would be timeless. We need to be apostles of divine mercy to people everywhere! God wants to save souls not just from Hell after life, but the Hell of existence in this life, and the Divine Mercy is an angelic way to do that. [/quote]

Amen! This devotion needs to be spread around as much as possible.

Before the day of His Judgement, the Lord sends us the day of His Mercy...

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='May 10 2005, 11:20 PM'] As someone about to finish converting to the Catholic Church (I have already had an inner conversion to it) I can say that it is well nigh impossible to resist conversion once one has co-operated with Divine Will in the beautiful Chaplet of Divine Mercy. I truly do attribute my conversion to Divine Mercy and the prayers of the Lady of All Nations.

[. . .]

I am appalled that many Catholics, and Christians in general, do not know about this devotion. Even if there was not an apparition of our Lord associated with it, one would think that the prayers alone would be timeless. We need to be apostles of divine mercy to people everywhere! God wants to save souls not just from Hell after life, but the Hell of existence in this life, and the Divine Mercy is an angelic way to do that. [/quote]
Sweet. Isn't God sneaky sometimes? :)

I too am astonished that the Divine Mercy devotions aren't better known. In our missalette Divine Mercy Sunday gets mentioned only as a tiny subtitle. I rarely hear it mentioned in church.

Next year my husband and I are going to request that there are special devotions in our parish.

return2truth

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='May 10 2005, 11:20 PM'] As someone about to finish converting to the Catholic Church (I have already had an inner conversion to it) I can say that it is well nigh impossible to resist conversion once one has co-operated with Divine Will in the beautiful Chaplet of Divine Mercy. I truly do attribute my conversion to Divine Mercy and the prayers of the Lady of All Nations.
I don't know about all the ins and outs of how the Chaplet can work for the dying if only said by someone beside a dying person, but I know, if I heard the words, it would probably change my life and my death to the love of Jesus. His mercy is what works in our heart to turn us to Christ and his Church.

I must say, having been in a significantly less devout region of the world's Catholics (also known as Michigan/yankee country), I am appalled that many Catholics, and Christians in general, do not know about this devotion. Even if there was not an apparition of our Lord associated with it, one would think that the prayers alone would be timeless. We need to be apostles of divine mercy to people everywhere! God wants to save souls not just from Hell after life, but the Hell of existence in this life, and the Divine Mercy is an angelic way to do that. [/quote]
I'm a michigander too!. I attend St. Ann in Cadillac. On the first Friday of every month, after an hour of private adoration before the Eucharist in the the church's chapel our Deacon leads a group of us (a bunch of elderly women and me, a 31 year old man) in a small celebration of the Divine Mercy. We sing the Chaplet and do the Rosary. We also sing some things in Latin which I don't recognize and perform a Litany of the Sacred Names of Jesus. It's awesome.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='May 10 2005, 09:39 PM'] Hmmm. Learn something new every day. Although, I think what I was saying applies to not-dieing people. IF they say it but once they will convert before death.

God bless,
Mikey [/quote]
There is no guarantee that someone will convert or revert at death if they have said the Divine Mercy once. It is not magical.