An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should we stop because the world hates what we say

thessalonian

thessalonian

I recently got booted from a protestant board. I have to say that some on that board liked me and some did not. I was very controverial and was often called arrogant for saying that Catholicism is the fullness of the truth. Now I certainly don't think we should be working on being disliked and should remain charitable. Something I am not always able to do but strive for. But what is being liked a sign of? If people become angry with us should we take that as a sign we need to change our tactics or that we went to far in our discussion? I really am interested in what you think. A few verses for consideration:

Acts.5
[40] So they took his advice, and when they had called in the apostles, they beat them and charged them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

Acts 6
[8] And Stephen, full of grace and power, did great wonders and signs among the people.
[9] Then some of those who belonged to the synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called), and of the Cyre'nians, and of the Alexandrians, and of those from Cili'cia and Asia, arose and disputed with Stephen.
[10] But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he spoke.
[51] "You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so do you.
[52] Which of the prophets did not your fathers persecute? And they killed those who announced beforehand the coming of the Righteous One, whom you have now betrayed and murdered,
[53] you who received the law as delivered by angels and did not keep it."
[54] Now when they heard these things they were enraged, and they ground their teeth against him.

Acts.17
[2] And Paul went in, as was his custom, and for three weeks he argued with them from the scriptures,
[17] So he argued in the synagogue with the Jews and the devout persons, and in the market place every day with those who chanced to be there.

Acts.18
[4] And he argued in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded Jews and Greeks.
[19] And they came to Ephesus, and he left them there; but he himself went into the synagogue and argued with the Jews.

Acts.19
[9] but when some were stubborn and disbelieved, speaking evil of the Way before the congregation, he withdrew from them, taking the disciples with him, and argued daily in the hall of Tyran'nus.

Blessings

thessalonian

By the way, it might be noted that one who heard those infuriating words of Stephen and likely was angered by them was a man named Saul.

cmotherofpirl

It depends on why they are angry.
Some people are angry when they discover the truth, some because they reject the truth.

thessalonian

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='May 10 2005, 11:49 AM'] It depends on why they are angry.
Some people are angry when they discover the truth, some because they reject the truth. [/quote]
That's a good point. The first time my wife heard Scott Hahn's conversion story he made her angry. She told me she could not stand listening to his voice. Later she confided that it was his message that made her angry. Angry that she had been decieved for so many years in her Protestant upbringing.

Blessings

thessalonian

Funny, I went to The Daily Word to read today's Navarre Bible Commentary and it is on Stephen's Martyrdom. Worth a read.

[url="http://www.cin.org/DWTuesday.html"]http://www.cin.org/DWTuesday.html[/url]

Oops. That's from April 12th. I needed to do a refresh.

Edited by thessalonian

Nicole8223

There is a definitely a way to say things while reminaing charitable, but the point remains that if you say something that someone disagrees with, especially concerning something so deep as matters of faith and morals, they will take it as a personal attack.

Catholics are naturally persecuted, and I think it is often a sign of a good job. If we are not being persecuted then are we really speaking truth enough? I mean, I know there are times and ways in which we can discuss things in a friendly way, but on the whole, when we speak of the church's teachings, people who disagree get angered.

I find that, if people who do no accept the truth are upset by your words or actions, than maybe it means you are doing the right thing. The world is not supposed to accept us.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='thessalonian' date='May 10 2005, 12:35 PM']I was very controverial and was often called arrogant for saying that Catholicism is the fullness of the truth.[/quote]
My initial thought when I read this is:

Aren't all Christians in the same boat when we claim that salvation only comes through Jesus Christ ("I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life")?

If these protestant individuals argue against the Catholic faith's claim on Truth, how can they get around the fact that Our Lord makes a similar exclusive claim to Truth that is seen as arrogant by some non-Christians, and even blasphemous to others.

We could go down another road: namely, what is the benefit of belonging to a religion that cannot or will not even make the claim that it is holds the fullness of Truth? Why belong to a "partially true" religion?

:)

Keep fighting the good fight!

thessalonian

Actually that daily word has application as well.
[url="http://www.cin.org/DWTuesday.html"]http://www.cin.org/DWTuesday.html[/url]

"The truly humble person
will have a genuine desire to be thought little of, and condemned
unjustly, even in serious matters. For, if she desires to imitate the
Lord, how can she do so better than in this? And no bodily strength is
necessary here, nor the aid of anyone but God " ("Way of Perfection",
l5, 2).

The presence of grace and faith in the soul equips it to fight the
Christian fight, which ultimately leads to rooting out sins and
defects. "From the very day faith enters your soul," Origen also says,
"battle must be joined between virtues and vices. Prior to the
onslaught of the Word, vices were at peace within you, but from the
moment the Word begins to judge them one by one, a great turmoil
arises and a merciless war begins. 'For what partnership have
righteousness and iniquity?' (2 Cor 6:14)" ("In Ex Hom.", III, 3).

"The true minister of Christ is conscious of his own weakness and labors
in humility. He searches to see what is well-pleasing to God (cf. Eph
5:10) and, bound as it were in the Spirit (cf. Acts 20:22), he is
guided in all things by the will of him who wishes all men to be saved
He is able to discover and carry out that will in the course of his
daily routine" (Vatican II, "Presbyterorum Ordinis", 15).

Noel's angel

I think we can all take heart of the account in Acts:4, of Peter and John before the Sanhedrin. The whole passage is relevant, but in particular:

"Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God. For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard."

MichaelFilo

I think that if others become angry at us, it is a sign of success. Remember, we are pilgrims, only in this world for a while. They will hate us, and fight us, and slaughter us, because they fear us. It isn't a matter of tact when they are angry, simply the fact that they cannot come to terms with God. They have opposed Him and put their faith in errors. Even Saul was wrong when he rejected the Christ. He would be very angry, after all, he set himself against God. Same with every non-Catholic, they will be angry with you, but then there will be those who will listen, waiting for God's message to pour forth from your lips, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Remember, if they hate you, they hate God's message. It means you are doing something right. It should plant a seed, if anything.

God bless,
Mikey

Edited by MichaelFilo

Noel's angel

yeah, isn't that why the Jews in Damascus wanted to kill Paul-because they saw him as a threat