An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sorry, another quick question.

PennyLane

Is it okay if a priest asks the people not to read the Gospel while he's reading it outloud?

Or should we follow along in the Gospell as he's reading it?

I think it's better to listen to the priest read it. there's nothing wrong with reading along, but it is better to hear it as it was meant to be heard, preached. all the gospels and letters were written at a time when most people were illiterate, they were intended to be read to the community by the priest.

[quote name='PennyLane' date='May 10 2005, 09:38 PM'] Is it okay if a priest asks the people not to read the Gospel while he's reading it outloud?

Or should we follow along in the Gospell as he's reading it? [/quote]
One of the things I like about growing up Byzantine Catholic: The readings aren't in our books. Only the prayers are. That way you have to pay attention....or at least make an effort to. None of that looking down and pretending to pay attention.

son_of_angels

Depends on the context.

Most of the time I'd say that was a great idea, especially if the Mass readings are in the vernacular. However, most of the time if they're in Latin the priest reads them from the pulpit afterwards anyway, so it could still make sense not to read along in a Book.

However, especially during Holy Week with especially long readings, I should think that unless the Mass is in the Vernacular it would be better to read along. Otherwise, one should keep their head up and pay attention. The priest is certainly within his pastoral rights to demand this of his parishioners.

Honestly, I think the key is to get rid of those awful paperback missals they stick in a lot of pews not only for the purpose stated above, but because the music is so bad in them I could compose it with two years of piano under my belt.

Tell the congregation to get their own missals if they must, but its probably better to do away, especially in a vernacular Mass, with Missals having the readings in them anyway (maybe just the Collect and minor propers).

[quote name='SarahB' date='May 10 2005, 10:55 PM'] One of the things I like about growing up Byzantine Catholic: The readings aren't in our books. Only the prayers are. That way you have to pay attention....or at least make an effort to. None of that looking down and pretending to pay attention. [/quote]
they sure tell you to "be attentive" enough anyway.. ;) :cool:

cmotherofpirl

Listening is much better than reading along, unless you have a problem with your hearing.

Our priest has always asked us to hear the Word of God.

I'd say that if you have time, read it before Mass, then feel free to keep the missal closed when it's out loud. In my experience, hearing it is more natural.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='PennyLane' date='May 10 2005, 08:38 PM'] Is it okay if a priest asks the people not to read the Gospel while he's reading it outloud?

Or should we follow along in the Gospell as he's reading it? [/quote]
I find it offensive when people are reading while the Gospel is being read, I frankly think it is disrespectful to the Mass and is on the verge of sinful. I wish the readings where not in the book at all.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='May 11 2005, 12:49 AM'] they sure tell you to "be attentive" enough anyway.. ;) :cool: [/quote]
Personally I think along with saying "Be attentive" a whole lot, they should go around smacking people with the incenser who they know aren't paying attention. What are the altar boys for, anwyay? ;)

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='SarahB' date='May 11 2005, 11:39 AM'] Personally I think along with saying "Be attentive" a whole lot, they should go around smacking people with the incenser who they know aren't paying attention. What are the altar boys for, anwyay? ;) [/quote]
:rotfl:

Man, I would get smacked so much... :blush: Not because I was bored with Mass (quite the contrary), but I get distracted by certain 21 month old and a 2 month old girls. ;)

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='May 11 2005, 12:24 PM'] :rotfl:

Man, I would get smacked so much... :blush: Not because I was bored with Mass (quite the contrary), but I get distracted by certain 21 month old and a 2 month old girls. ;) [/quote]
Well, then, you have an excuse. :P I just get upset with the people who say they're not being "fed" in church and yet they never pay attention. It's like....the plate is put in front of you and there's a whole banquet besides that and you're just not picking up the fork.

I enjoyed reading all of your comments!! Thanks for your imput.

I must say I agree, I think it's okay for a priest to ask if the parishoners would just listen... except in my mom's case where she brings her Magnificat everywhere.

God bless and thank you!!

I'm not sure, I tend to remember better what I read. to read along doesn't mean that you aren't listening to the priest, i don't know, for me It makes it easier to not be distracted because I can read the reading before and after Mass to get ready for it.

[quote name='slywakka250' date='May 12 2005, 11:51 PM'] I'm not sure, I tend to remember better what I read. to read along doesn't mean that you aren't listening to the priest, i don't know, for me It makes it easier to not be distracted because I can read the reading before and after Mass to get ready for it. [/quote]
A suggestion that I've heard is to find out what the reading is beforehand and read it yourself before Mass. That way, you know what is being said but you can still pay attention. That way, you won't miss out on anything even if your mind strays a little(as it tends to do for all of us at one point or another).