An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blessings for Non-communicants

dUSt

[i]ROME, MAY 10, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Answered by Father Edward McNamara, professor of liturgy at the Regina Apostolorum Pontifical University. [/i]

[b]Q: At many Masses these days, non-communicating participants approach the altar at Communion time and receive a blessing when they cannot communicate. However, some priests do not do this, saying it is not "in the rubrics." Is it all right for priests to do this? -- M.T., New South Wales, Australia [/b]

A: As far as I have been able to ascertain, this practice arose over the last two decades or so, above all in English-speaking countries, such as Australia and the United States, where Catholics form a significant minority amid a basically Christian population.

Because of this, it is relatively common to have non-Catholics present at Mass, for example, Protestant spouses of Catholics, catechumens, and other visitors. This is especially true of weddings and funerals when the number of non-Catholics is even larger.

Another common situation, which apparently gave rise to this practice, is the increase in non-Catholic students at Catholic schools and colleges. At times, about half the student body is unable to participate in Communion.

Situations such as these probably inspired the practice of inviting those unable to receive Communion to approach the altar to receive a blessing so as not to feel excluded.

Certainly this blessing is not in the rubrics and there is no obligation to make such an invitation. However, neither is there any prohibition and the practice seems to have been tacitly accepted by many bishops who are aware of this nascent custom and have even participated in giving such blessings.

As far as I know, no bishop has issued specific directives on this issue, nor has the Holy See intervened although it is certainly aware of its existence.

The decision as to whether to adopt such a practice depends on the concrete pastoral circumstances involved. As in all similar initiatives, due reflection is required regarding the custom's pastoral utility and as to any possible consequences that it may provoke in the short or long term, for example, changing the way people perceive the act of receiving Communion.

I'm curious if the interview addressed the ability of extraordinary ministers who are called to give the blessing as well.

Its that issue that gets a little murky for me anyway.

Noel's angel

EMs can't give the blessing. I think it is a positive thing having the blessing-especially for those who haven't yet received Communion, but are Catholic

I understand that they technically can't. But that doesn't mean they don't. And they do. A lot!

Hrmn.

I'm interested to see if anyone debates this. I can't see how blessing people could possibly be bad.

Except maybe when my absent-minded pastor gave communion to a non-Catholic husband who just came up for a blessing...

Noel's angel

usually in our parish, its the other way around. Young kids come up for Communion and our priest blesses them. Then they stand there and say 'no, I'm here for Communion'

I personally don't see the blessing by EMs to be "bad" per se. If I sneezed and someone said "God bless you" I wouldn't scream "YOUR NOT A PRIEST!!"

I would simply say thank you.

Are they technically not allowed? Yes. The priest is the only one who is dolling out blessings during the Mass. Is there a downside to an EM giving a blessing even though (s)he's not supposed to? There are so many Catholics who are ignorant of their faith, that I think it just adds to the confusion.

MilesChristi

[quote]I personally don't see the blessing by EMs to be "bad" per se. If I sneezed and someone said "God bless you" I wouldn't scream "YOUR NOT A PRIEST!!" [/quote]

I think there's an important difference between a layperson saying "God bless you" as opposed to a layperson giving a Trinitarian formula blessing while making the sign of the cross. I believe that the latter belongs only to those with Holy Orders. Sadly, I've seen many extraordinary ministers of holy communion crossing the line.

Extraordinary ministers CAN't give blessings. punto. and of course, i'm not talking about the God bless you situations or husbands/wives blessing each other or parents to children before they leave the house or something, but blessing blessings. thus, i make my husband change communion lines if we get stuck in an EM line (lol oh btw, hes not catholic, hence the need for a blessing... but i have high hopes!! ;) )

interestingly, i've only had a problem with EM blessing giving in CA. back home on the east coast, they wouldn't think to do it and people wouldn't expect one from them (cuz duh its not possible)... sigh... i miss normal dioceses

I think blessings in the communion line lead to priest shortages. Here's why:

- priest encourages blessings, and a lot of people come up
- leads to extraordinary ministers of communion giving the blessings
- leads people to start thinking lay people can do what priests do
- leads to the flawed thinking, "lay people are just as important as priests" mentality
- leads to the authority and leadership attributes of a priest to be diminished
- leads to diminished motivation to become a priest
- leads to potential priests ignoring the calling, because why become a priest if they're just like everyone else anyway?

Oh. Hm.

I haven't been to a church that had eucharistic ministers in a long time. I would be very irked if I saw them giving blessings.

Good points, dUSt.

-leads to lay pastors

leads to Diocese of San Bernadino and soon to be Archdiocese of Los Angeles because we all have "different gifts" even the layity so since there aren't enough priests, lets let anyone, including women, run a parish... that way, priests can "really be priests" because not all priests are qualified/called to lead a parish.

ugh. :irate:

sorry, end rant. just got bck from diocese training on this new parish leadership "model" beignning to be instituted in LA

[quote name='dUSt' date='May 11 2005, 06:53 PM'] I think blessings in the communion line lead to priest shortages. Here's why:

- priest encourages blessings, and a lot of people come up
- leads to extraordinary ministers of communion giving the blessings
- leads people to start thinking lay people can do what priests do
- leads to the flawed thinking, "lay people are just as important as priests" mentality
- leads to the authority and leadership attributes of a priest to be diminished
- leads to diminished motivation to become a priest
- leads to potential priests ignoring the calling, because why become a priest if they're just like everyone else anyway? [/quote]
I think if there was better education about things like that, then it wouldn't be such a problem. Unfortunately, the education of Catholics in this country is sorely lacking. Unless it's teaching the wrong things. That seems to be in abundance.