An Old School Catholic Message Board

Physician Tells of Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano

cmotherofpirl

KizlarAgha

[quote name='LittleLes' date='May 13 2005, 08:48 PM'] Indeed! And putting aside childish things and believing as a man. Even Paul said that. ^_^ [/quote]
Paul was a hopeless bigot.

[quote name='KizlarAgha' date='May 13 2005, 09:05 PM'] The donation of Constantine was an invention of the west.  We've known it was a forgery since the 16th century - and that was without modern historical researching methods.  Besides which, that was a document, this is a relic.  Let's not compare apples and elephants here. [/quote]
Your are really dating me here. In Catholic elementary school, I was taught that the Donation of Constantine was legitmate! :P

We're not comparing "apples and elephants" at all. The implication being given is that the Church can always be relied upon to protect evidence. I pointed out that this is hardly the case since it can be shown that members of the Church are more than willing to manufacture evidence if it is in the Church's interest.

And documents written by saints qualify as relics. (I think second class relics, if I remember correctly).

Clearly then, purported evidence of an 8th century alleged miracle must be questioned.

As the Catholic Encyclopedia's "False Decretals" admits:

The Collection of Isidore falls under three headings:

(1) A list of sixty apocryphal letters or decrees attributed to the popes from St. Clement (88-97) to Melchiades (311-314) inclusive. Of these sixty letters fifty-eight are forgeries; they begin with a letter from Aurelius of Carthage requesting Pope Damasus (366-384) to send him the letters of his predecessors in the chair of the Apostles; and this is followed by a reply in which Damasus assures Aurelius that the desired letters were being sent. This correspondence was meant to give an air of truth to the false decretals, and was the work of Isidore.

(2) A treatise on the Primitive Church and on the Council of Nicæa, written by Isidore, and followed by the authentic canons of fifty-four councils. It should be remarked, however, that among the canons of the second Council of Seville (page 438) canon vii is an interpolation aimed against chorepiscopi.

(3) The letters mainly of thirty-three popes, from Silvester (314-335) to Gregory II (715-731). Of these about thirty letters are forgeries, while all the others are authentic. This is but a very rough description of their contents and touches only on the more salient points of a most intricate literary question.

Any questions? :D

Edited by LittleLes