An Old School Catholic Message Board

the Family in heaven

mulls

Raphael's Mary intercession thread prompted this thought...

Jesus says that in the resurrection people "neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like the angels in heaven" Matt 22:30.

He also says "Whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother." Mark 3:35

Now, it seems that earthly marriages will not exist in heaven, and the family unit as we see it now will cease to exist (just speculating here obviously).

Given that such a strong bond as marriage is seemingly "broken" (don't really know what other word to use), and Jesus says that all who do his will are a part of his family, and that we're supposed to love Christ more than any member of our family (Matthew 10:37), does the relationship of Jesus to Mary as seen by Catholics really hold true in heaven?

If the marriage bond ceases, and all family bond ceases, is Mary really 'still' Jesus' mother?
If not, would Jesus still need to "obey" Mary in heaven, in obedience to the 4th commandment?

*See Raphael's Mary Intercession thread if you need context about the last question.

Thy Geekdom Come

First, I would say that the proper term isn't that marriages are broken, but that the sacrament of marriage is fulfilled in heaven. Everyone is intimately connected with everyone else and with God. Marriage is outdone.

Now, even though husband and wife are no more, I do think that there is likely a knowledge that "this person was my husband/wife" and there is most certainly a knowledge that "this person is my child/parent." I see no reason why the breaking of the bonds of marriage, or rather, of their being fulfilled and extended to all in an even closer, deeper union, would dissolve the family. On the contrary, I believe it would make the notion of family perfect.

[quote name='Raphael' date='May 18 2005, 05:33 PM'] First, I would say that the proper term isn't that marriages are broken, but that the sacrament of marriage is fulfilled in heaven. Everyone is intimately connected with everyone else and with God. Marriage is outdone.

Now, even though husband and wife are no more, I do think that there is likely a knowledge that "this person was my husband/wife" and there is most certainly a knowledge that "this person is my child/parent." I see know reason why the breaking of the bonds of marriage, or rather, of their being fulfilled and extended to all in an even closer, deeper union, would dissolve the family. On the contrary, I believe it would make the notion of family perfect. [/quote]
ok, i can go with that. so what of my other questions?

Brother Adam

I think Micah really hit the nail on the head. Just as "Call no man father" is intended to teach a lesson about God as our heavenly Father, not that we can't call our biological dads "father" these passages also point to greater truths. As Micah pointed out because there is a fulfillment of marriage to the bridegroom (which priests and brothers and sisters have already started living out here on earth!) but this does not nullify who was our family on earth. Family is very specifically very important to God. We see this especially in the old covenants and in our adopted sonship in the New Covenant. When we are in heaven, Jesus' father is still our own Father, your biological on earth will still have been your biological mother, your wife you will still know as having been your wife. As such Jesus mother will still and is still known to having given physical birth to Jesus, and with the words of Jesus on the cross still remains our own mother. It is an incredibly powerful tie. "The Son whom she brought forth is he whom God placed as the first-born among many brethren, that is, the faithful in whose generation and formulation she cooperateswith a mother's love" (CCC 501; John 19:26-7; Rom 8:29; Rev 12:17; Lunem Gentium 63). I realize this isn't exshaustive, but hopefully helpful.

Our spiritual adoption into the family of God remains in heaven. Mary, as given to us as spiritual mother, remains also.

Edited by Brother Adam

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='mulls' date='May 18 2005, 05:57 PM'] ok, i can go with that. so what of my other questions? [/quote]
Well, I assumed that the answer was clear, given the nature of my response.

[quote]If the marriage bond ceases, and all family bond ceases, is Mary really 'still' Jesus' mother?
If not, would Jesus still need to "obey" Mary in heaven, in obedience to the 4th commandment?[/quote]

The marriage bond doesn't cease, but becomes perfect, with everyone and among everyone. Therefore, yes, Mary is still Jesus' mother.

That said, since the next question is an "if not," I won't answer it.

Jesus' death and resurrection did not cause His relationship with His mother to cease. Mary is still called "the mother of Jesus" in Acts 1:14.