Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who feels sorry for Obi-Wan?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Should we move this to the debate table? :lol:

Don John of Austria
Posted

aye except I don't know if I'd call them swashbuckling, they didn't carry bucklers ;)

Yeah i'd like to see a good medieval order movie.

KizlarAgha
Posted

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 23 2005, 10:25 AM'] aye except I don't know if I'd call them swashbuckling, they didn't carry bucklers ;)

Yeah i'd like to see a good medieval order movie. [/quote]
I disagree. I think the I.33 manuscript would be perfect for interpreting the Teutonic Order's more civilian uses of swordsmanship. As you probably know, there are great tales of the three orders roaming around Acre duelling one another. I wouldn't expect the typical crusader shield to be used, nor for them to always be wearing armor. A sword and buckler duel would seem to be highly likely in this scenario.

Don John of Austria
Posted

[quote name='KizlarAgha' date='May 23 2005, 10:28 AM'] I disagree. I think the I.33 manuscript would be perfect for interpreting the Teutonic Order's more civilian uses of swordsmanship. As you probably know, there are great tales of the three orders roaming around Acre duelling one another. I wouldn't expect the typical crusader shield to be used, nor for them to always be wearing armor. A sword and buckler duel would seem to be highly likely in this scenario. [/quote]
Ah but a heater shield is much larger than a buckler and worn on the arm instead of held in the fist. you also arn't quite as agressive with it( well maybe you are if you've trained since you where 7 to swing that thing around, but I doubt it) still a good movie about them would be great. I would expect probably an arming coat would have een worn even around town, but perhaps not.

KizlarAgha
Posted

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 23 2005, 10:33 AM'] Ah but a heater shield is much larger than a buckler and worn on the arm instead of held in the fist. you also arn't quite as agressive with it( well maybe you are if you've trained since you where 7 to swing that thing around, but I doubt it) still a good movie about them would be great. I would expect probably an arming coat would have een worn even around town, but perhaps not. [/quote]
Do you really think they'd have kept the heater with them at all times? I mean, the guige makes it easy to wear I guess, but have you looked at the Manesse Codex from Germany? It shows German knights in their "off duty" moments. They all wear standard civilian clothes with swords and bucklers.

Don John of Austria
Posted (edited)

[quote name='KizlarAgha' date='May 23 2005, 10:34 AM'] Do you really think they'd have kept the heater with them at all times?  I mean, the guige makes it easy to wear I guess, but have you looked at the Manesse Codex from Germany?  It shows German knights in their "off duty" moments.  They all wear standard civilian clothes with swords and bucklers. [/quote]
Yeah I've seen those illistrations but I always thought that in hostile territory they probably were always more heavily armed. I know I would have been. Are there any illustrations from the Middle east that we know of?


ps. I know of plenty [i]of[/i] the holy land butthey are on the whole not [i]from[/i] the Holy Land.

Edited by Don John of Austria
Q the Ninja
Posted

You can't get mad at Anakin, nor could he have been saved...

It's called a tragedy.

KizlarAgha
Posted

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 23 2005, 10:53 AM'] Yeah I've seen those illistrations but I always thought that in hostile territory they probably were always more heavily armed. I know I would have been. Are there any illustrations from the Middle east that we know of?


ps. I know of plenty [i]of[/i] the holy land butthey are on the whole not [i]from[/i] the Holy Land. [/quote]
Yeah, the Maciejowski bible doesn't exactly cut it. I have seen some from medieval spain. I can get my professor to show me the whole manuscript sometime. It rocks. You can even see the Moorish heart shaped shields really clearly.

Craftygrl06
Posted

this is toledo_jesus on his gf's computer...

I feel bad for Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan suffered a huge amount of loss. imagine your Master being cut down by a Sith. Imagine watching your government become less and less a republic and more and more an empire. Imagine being witness to the destruction of your order, the literal extermination of the Jedi. Imagine being the only one left besides Yoda. Then imagine that your former student and friend is responsible, and has sold his soul to the dark side. While it's true that Palpatine's clone troopers were primarily the cause of the destruction, Anakin led the attack on the heart of the Jedi. He went for the roots. He killed the younglings.
Obi-Wan was right to leave Vader. Vader had killed the young boy from Tatooine and committed terrible crimes in his name. At this point in his life his passion and rage were so great that even when destroyed by Obi-Wan, he still attempted to claw his way up the ledge, spitting hatred and venom at the one who professed love for him. The betrayal was immense. At this point, he was beyond redemption. It wasn't until he had been completely broken, losing Padme, that the seeds were sown for his Return to the light side. I believe that Vader truly hit rock bottom only when he learned that he had lost Padme. When he met his son years later that love was still there and he was able to fulfill the prophecy

Winchester
Posted

I'da gone ahead and kicked his stumpy torso into the lava. Whadaya think about that?

DemonSlayer
Posted

Obi-Wan truly cared for those around him unlike Anakin, and he should've finished Anakin off, he was too much of a threat.

Posted

[quote name='Q the Ninja' date='May 23 2005, 11:59 AM'] You can't get mad at Anakin, nor could he have been saved...

It's called a tragedy. [/quote]
you can get mad at anakin, the dark side was not some unavoidable thing for him. it's not like it was all circumstances beyond his control; he chose it.

Kilroy the Ninja
Posted

[quote name='Winchester' date='May 26 2005, 02:28 AM'] I'da gone ahead and kicked his stumpy torso into the lava. Whadaya think about that? [/quote]
And that's why we love you Winchester :wub:


















ew.. ninja-mush..... :ph34r:

1337 k4th0l1x0r
Posted

[quote name='Winchester' date='May 26 2005, 02:28 AM'] I'da gone ahead and kicked his stumpy torso into the lava. Whadaya think about that? [/quote]
Why kick when you can force push?

Don John of Austria
Posted

[quote name='1337 k4th0l1x0r' date='May 26 2005, 02:18 PM'] Why kick when you can force push? [/quote]
because kicking is personal.

Kilroy the Ninja
Posted

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='May 26 2005, 03:00 PM'] because kicking is personal. [/quote]
:rolling:

DemonSlayer
Posted

Or maybe he should've thrown him back into the lava or whatever it was.

Posted

In short, I feel very sorry for Obi-Wan [b]and[/b] Anakin.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...