Crispy Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 dude, try Thousand Foot Krutch, theyre nice hard rock w/ a bit of hip hop mixed in. and like others here have said, i dont think B-16 would let any borderline music at mass, but i also dont think hed shut it out of the whole WYD, it IS for youth anywayz.
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 I know that they are just allowing those with musical talents to use them for God, but they made Mass sound like a rock concert today...
corban711 Posted May 29, 2005 Posted May 29, 2005 [quote name='toledo_jesus' date='May 29 2005, 03:04 PM'] I believe His Holiness has spoken on the subject of 'rock' music, and I don't believe it has ANY place at Mass. Rallies and fun stuff sure, but...Never at Mass. Nobody here seems to sense the obvious disconnect between 'rock' ( rebellious, wild, untamed and high energy) and the teachings of the Church. Call me a codger, but rock music with a Christian theme of love and whatall strikes me as toothless and betraying what rock really is. Now, I've never heard a confrontational Christian rock song. Rebel against the world and all its evils, that's true to rock in spirit. I'd like to though, you know, give it a chance. Does anybody have a direction to point me in? [/quote] "vengeance" by Seven Sorrows is a hard-core rock song that is true to the "rock spirit". check em out. www.sevensorrows.com many of their songs have great lyrics.
musturde Posted May 30, 2005 Posted May 30, 2005 [quote name='kateri05' date='May 29 2005, 02:47 PM'] we're not allowed to have them because JPII said so! cardinal arinze put it best: dancing in america isn't culuturally associated with worship, its what you do at clubs on saturday nites, not at mass. mass isn't for entertainment purposes. people in the US still have it (LA diocese cough cough) because they don't LISTEN to the holy father. places like nigeria or India (i didn't know they did) is because worshipping with their bodies is part of their culture. you want LD? go to nigeria! [/quote] I still don't see why not though. Its just dancing. If one part of the Church can do it, why cant another? We Americans are too dull to adapt is what your saying? I agree with that honestly. I mean have you ever seen a Catholic who had rythm (or who could spell it correctly)? Does this mean that Nigerians can't open a Mass with a high population of Nigerians and do mass in their Cultural way? I mean Maronites and Melkites can.
popestpiusx Posted May 30, 2005 Posted May 30, 2005 Rock has been used at World Youth Day Masses (as well as numerous other abuses). I have seen it and it is quite disturbing. The Holy Father is in control in so far as he hires and/or fires his master of ceremonies or Papal liturgist (Piero Marini). I think it is safe to say, though I certainly could be wrong (Lord knows that has happened before) that such things will not go on during the current pontificate.
toledo_jesus Posted May 30, 2005 Posted May 30, 2005 ok...interesting, I'll have to check out those bands.
toledo_jesus Posted May 30, 2005 Posted May 30, 2005 ok...listened to Vengeance, couldn't understand a word and don't really like the screaming or whatever that was...I shall continue to eschew rock from my list of music for worship. edited to say that interestingly, hip hop works better. I believe old school hip hop was about what was messed up in their lives and that translates pretty well.
Old_Joe Posted May 30, 2005 Posted May 30, 2005 Don't get me wrong. I like rock music (classic rock mostly), and I like litugrical music. If I go to a mass with rock music, I see it distracting maybe even detracting from the liturgy that is going on, which we are supposed to paying attention soon. The mass is not a Rock opera. I grew up in a diocese that doesn't even have praise and worship music at mass. They don't say it's wrong or anything. they'll play praise and worship at retreats and stuff. There's a time and place for everything. Hopefully our culture won't degrad the Mass to the point where we are consecrating pizza and pop and having liturgical rock.
Qoheleth Posted May 30, 2005 Posted May 30, 2005 My brother was Confirmed a couple weeks ago, and the ceremony was done with an interesting combination of rock and Gospel music. Me, my grandfather, and the bishop seemed to be the only ones with slightly pained looks on our faces, but it really felt secular, not divine. Fortunately the Church teaches that the sacrament will be efficacious regardless of the accompaniment, but I had trouble "lifting up my mind and heart to God."
Spiritual_Arsonist Posted May 31, 2005 Posted May 31, 2005 [quote name='Dave' date='May 23 2005, 07:16 PM'] I'm sure most of us will agree that rock music is out of place at Mass. Well, at World Youth Day Masses, there has been rock-type music (or at least that's what I've heard). I've heard traditionalists basically accuse John Paul II of not exercising his authority by allowing rock music at such Masses. However, I'm not so sure the Holy Father had any control of that type of thing, especially in regard to an event with thousands upon thousands of people. What do y'all think? Just for the record, I'm trying to respond to the aforementioned trads. Any help is appreciated. [/quote] Ah carp. I forgot to tell you Dave, I happen to play in a grunge band and we have been invited to play at WYD. See you there.
jp2_rules Posted June 2, 2005 Posted June 2, 2005 i was at WYD in toronto, and don't recall any rock music during the Masses. if you listen to the CD, they have the Mass parts on it. btw, having drums does NOT AT ALL constitute as rock music. it's a rhythm instrument, and can be used tastefully. classical music has drums. as to liturgical dancing, i don't recall that at all. HOWEVER, it [i]is [/i]WORLD youth day, and in some parts of the world, like Africa, liturgical dancing is acceptable. don't condemn until you actually know what's taking place. so no, i don't recall any liturgical abuses. and i wouldn't expect any this year either. peace, chris
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now