An Old School Catholic Message Board

Unsure

FightingforGod

FightingforGod

Last week my sister told us she wanted to be a sister. she is 14. she said shes been feeling the call for about a year now and has really been thinking and praying about it. Im thrilled for her. but im also scared. i dont know how to react or what to think. Im 2 yrs older than she is. She'll be starting high school soon. I dont know what to think or what. Im so confused. Help me out please! I love hr dearly and will support her in whatever she wants to do, but it feels like im losing her for some reason. i cant explain it. my mom feels it too, we've talked about it together. her family would spaz out. they are no-religion, not atheist, just dont have a preference, and my dads family would be happy-reserved. they r catholic. anyways. help....advice!

Noel's angel

all you can do is pray for her and encourage her. Just support her as you have been doing. Hey, if you feel you are losing her to someone, I can think of no one better to lose her to than God!

Paphnutius

Probably not what you want to hear, but in a way you are loosing her. If this her calling then she will live in a seperate community (probably cloistered, although it is harder for nuns to have a cloister) and live a completly different life. You have to realize though, it is for love of God. You love her and so support her in following her calling. It will be painful if she does leave to join, but you will always be her older brother. As Noel said, support her and let her go her own way. It is still early for anything definite, but pray with her about it. Do adoration together and the like.

Paphnutius

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='May 24 2005, 11:55 AM'] sorry, off topic but it's really funny when people call me Noel lol [/quote]
Even further off topic. Could you give me a brief explination of you name and sig?

Noel's angel

indeedio.

Name:Noel's angel.
Reason:I had a good friend who was a priest and his name was Noel. He used to call me his angel and in Januray 2004, he died of cancer. He meant a lot to me, so the name is kida a reminder and tribute to him. Funny how he always saw me as his angel, but now I guess he's really mine :)

My signature is just a picture of Gunther von Hagens who invented the process of plastination and I was just messing around on Paintshop pro and came up with it.

FightingforGod

actually....im a girl....its ok tho, not many kno that, she doesnt want to go into a cloister, but she can only come home and visit like every 3 yrs....i just have so many mixed reactions

Paphnutius

[quote name='FightingforGod' date='May 24 2005, 12:22 PM'] actually....im a girl....its ok tho, not many kno that, she doesnt want to go into a cloister, but she can only come home and visit like every 3 yrs....i just have so many mixed reactions [/quote]
Ooops sorry about that. :blush:

Well can I ask you something? Have you found or begun to discern God's call in your own life?

usually they can write letters more often than that, if that helps any.

and while it is true that it will never be the same without her, she is not lost. She is not gone forever. No one every really is. Things just change. Speak to each other in prayer and with your heart. You will hear it even though it seems impossible. :)

MilesChristi

Remember, if this is truly her vocation, it is the way of life chosen for her by God in which she will find the most happiness and fulfillment while on earth.

Although it may be tough to let go, I'm sure you want your sister to be happy in doing God's will. You may also find that a religious vocation often brings down blessings upon the entire family...

FightingforGod

oh most definately, i want her to follow this path if its what God wants for her. I have but I haven't yet felt the call down that path. My path lies elsewhere I believe. I have always felt this pull to be a biologist, and recently, i think that photojournalism would be awesome. Im trying to figure out if thats my vocation or career, but I 'll find out soon enough.

Paphnutius

[quote name='FightingforGod' date='May 24 2005, 08:53 PM'] oh most definately, i want her to follow this path if its what God wants for her. I have but I haven't yet felt the call down that path. My path lies elsewhere I believe. I have always felt this pull to be a biologist, and recently, i think that photojournalism would be awesome. Im trying to figure out if thats my vocation or career, but I 'll find out soon enough. [/quote]
The reason why I asked if you had begun to discern God's call in your life is because once of begin to understand where that is and in what direction it is leading you to, you will become ever more accepting and appreciative of your sister's call. When you begin to realize the joy of following your vocation, even at the early stages of discernment, you will know what your sister is feeling and wish just that for her. Understanding and accpeting your vocation will help you to understand and accept your sister's, whatever that may be.

Chorusgirl

Hello!! Im sure this is hard for you, I know its been hard on my family with me leaving soon for the convent. Just keep her in your prayers, pray for her vocation too and that she might follow Gods will... And pray for strength, courage and wisdom for you, your sister and family. Take care and God bless you. Place your trust in our Lord God! :)