An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Priscilla

Myles Domini

[url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P67.HTM"]The Gifts and Fruits of the Holy Spirit[/url] from the Catechism of the Catholic Church ^_^

I also heard of other gifts of the Holy Spirit. Like the speaking in different tongues and such. Is that what you are asking?

We believe in the gifts of the spirit but sometimes we're skeptical. There have been some cases when a person claimed he spoke in tounges... but then just mumbled jibberish.

Nicole8223

The answer is yes...although what musturde said is very true. But, despite skepticism, the gifts ARE for today.

Pope Benedict IV: "What the New Testament tells us about the charisms - which were seen as visible signs of the coming of the Spirit - is not just ancient history, over and done with, for it is once again becoming extremely topical."

So, it's not ancient history. The Holy Spirit has plans for us, yet!

I just wondered only I know some charismatic Catholics and Mary-verneration seems to go out of the window once a Catholic is "baptsied in the Holy Spirit".

Alos, when I was 15 I received the laying on of hands at my charismatic Methodist church and spoke in tongues.

When I got involved with the Christadelphians they told me the gifts of the Spirit weren't for today and what I practised was "glossolalia". So I stopped.

I once told someone that what I spoke was "gibberish" and immediately my heart smote within me: and I repented for I fear I may have blashphemed the Holy Spirit.

However, I do not practise the gift now: I can't do it of faith, so whatever is not of faith is sin - but sometimes I really feel I need the gift as I just do not know how to pray - and whoever prays in an unknown tongue prays unto God and edifies himself. I certainly need edification sometimes!

Paphnutius

Just my two cents, I heard that toungs can only be spoken when there is someone who has the gift of interpretation of tounges.

[quote name='Priscilla' date='May 27 2005, 11:02 AM'] I just wondered only I know some charismatic Catholics and Mary-verneration seems to go out of the window once a Catholic is "baptsied in the Holy Spirit". [/quote]
That's definitely not always true. Most of the charismatics that I know have a very healthy devotion to Our Lady. I've been involved with a number of charismatic communities, and all of them were not protestant wanna-be's. They had a love for the Eucharist, the Church and Mary.

[quote]Just my two cents, I heard that toungs can only be spoken when there is someone who has the gift of interpretation of tounges.[/quote]

The explanation that I've been given was that there are 2 types of tongues:
1. a "personal prayer tongues" -> cf. Rom 8:26 "In the same way, the Spirit too comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit itself intercedes with inexpressible groanings."
2. "prophetic tongues" -> cf. 1 Cor 14 Note that the context appears to support two "versions" of tongues. At first it's talking about it's use in prayer, then it begins talking about it in the context of a group.

BTW, the Catholic Church by no means teaches that you must have the gift of tongues to go to heaven.

As a final note, discernment and prudence must be used to prevent emotionalism from creeping in. And To answer the original question, yes.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Priscilla' date='May 27 2005, 12:02 PM'] I just wondered only I know some charismatic Catholics and Mary-verneration seems to go out of the window once a Catholic is "baptsied in the Holy Spirit". [/quote]
Odd. I've experienced the opposite. I find they tend to almost have an over-devotion to Mary

Paphnutius

[quote name='scardella' date='May 27 2005, 12:16 PM']
[/quote]
[quote]1. a "personal prayer tongues" -> cf. Rom 8:26 "In the same way, the Spirit too comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit itself intercedes with inexpressible groanings."
[/quote]Such a type would by like Samuel's mother in the temple praying for a child?

[quote]2. "prophetic tongues" -> cf. 1 Cor 14  Note that the context appears to support two "versions" of tongues.  At first it's talking about it's use in prayer, then it begins talking about it in the context of a group.
[/quote]The type that would need the interpreter?

Thanks for the input

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='May 27 2005, 12:23 PM'] Such a type would by like Samuel's mother in the temple praying for a child?
[/quote]
Here's the quote:
[quote]As she remained long at prayer before the LORD, Eli watched her mouth, for Hannah was praying silently; though her lips were moving, her voice could not be heard. Eli, thinking her drunk, said to her, "How long will you make a drunken show of yourself? Sober up from your wine!" "It isn't that, my lord," Hannah answered. "I am an unhappy woman. I have had neither wine nor liquor; I was only pouring out my troubles to the LORD. Do not think your handmaid a ne'er-do-well; my prayer has been prompted by my deep sorrow and misery."
- 1 Sam 1:12-16[/quote]

You could interpret it that way, I would think. Him thinking her drunk would be the key. In Acts when the Holy Spirit descends, the Apostles are also thought to be drunk. That would be the important parallel to support it. HOWEVER, you could just as easily interpret it as Eli misinterpreting her excessive emotion. Hence, my caution regarding discernment.

[quote]The type that would need the interpreter?[/quote]
Yeah, the prophetic version would have someone speaking in tongues to a group of people. That would need an interpreter. It would be kind of silly to have someone go up to a group of people, speak some "gibberish", and have nobody to interpret it. Of course, I've heard that people have actually spoken a regular language that perhaps only one person in the group understood. Whether the gift of prophetic tongues is limited to Spanish, French, Japanese, etc. or includes the "gibberish" is up to debate, as far as I know. I have seen the "gibberish" with a specific interpretation before, though.

I've taken the Catholic Inventory of Spiritual Gifts workshop.
Now, I personally would never want the gift of tongues (I'm not comfortable letting the Holy Spirit pray through me... guess I'm a control freak), but there are two "species" of it.
Forgive me if I'm repeating someone: According to CISG...
Public tongues: requires interputation, is for everyone to know. God would give someone a message through this unless there was someone to interput.
Another form of this would be speaking in another language... I did that as a kid, it freaked my mom out. Someone was like "I didn't know your daughter could speak French." My mom said, "She can't." I was just talking to this little girl, I had no idea she was speaking another language.
Private tongues: is a gift of private prayer, where only God knows what you are saying. It's basically surrendering to the Holy Spirit. I figure the same thing could be accomplised by saying "Lord, your will be done in me." But you can also pray over other people with it.

As with all Charisms... God is in control.