An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question from Protestant priest

Timothy

A friend of mine whom is a Protestant priest has asked me to figure out a question he posed. So, I am looking to the pham for so help, here it goes. He wants to know what got fixed durring Pentecost in Acts 2 that was broke in the Old Testement. :P

Edited by Timothy

Nicole8223

tower of babel? just a guess cause of the tongues and languages....i really don't know

Edited by Nicole8223

homeschoolmom

Yeah, that'd be my guess. Our priest mentioned it in his homily on Pentecost.

Myles Domini

It is the tower of Babel but also a little more because it symbolises the universal nature of the Church. The Church is principally universal and draws all the people under the sun into it and they all hear the Church in their own language. It is symbolic of the Church's designation to bring the world together within itself under Our Lord in a visible unity overseen by St Peter. It signifies that the Church is not the Church without visible communion and also that the Church is not merely a collection of national churches but speaks principally in a universal way to all.

It sounds like he's going to try to attack the Church on grounds of the Latin Mass...

Please let us know if he does... you might want to study up the rebuttals before talking to him again.

God Bless!
ironmonk

homeschoolmom

[quote name='ironmonk' date='May 28 2005, 08:36 PM'] It sounds like he's going to try to attack the Church on grounds of the Latin Mass...
[/quote]
You think so? I can see why you might say that, but as a former Protestant, I wouldn't have thought of that.

because the way tongues are used now is babbeling that no one understands... (at least the 'pentecostals' and 'charismatics')

Universal Latin was a Divine Fix, because it was connected to a Divine Church that spoke the languages of all peoples.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='May 28 2005, 08:36 PM'] It sounds like he's going to try to attack the Church on grounds of the Latin Mass...

Please let us know if he does... you might want to study up the rebuttals before talking to him again.

God Bless!
ironmonk [/quote]
Ironmonk can you send me a link of the rebuttals so I can take a lo-ok at them. Thanks!