An Old School Catholic Message Board

I will never regret not sinning

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

I think this is neat, so I thought I would share. In my own constant pursuit of sanctification and trying to orient myself towards leading a holy life and avoiding sin, I find that in moments of temptation when the devil has laid something before me that seems so sweet and so pleasurable at the time, to not merely call to mind the cross of Christ, what he did for me in the past, but what Christ has for me in the future. I lately have always remembered that never will I regret NOT sinning. Even if I can't see the benefit now, I will in the future and it can only increase my relationship with God my Savior. I find it especially helpful to think back to the last time I received Jesus in the Eucharist, and call to mind that the next time I receive Jesus I will be able to say that to the best I could, I did obey Him and how much I do love Him. Doing this has helped me avoid many small and large sins. I try always not to be proud of overcoming such temptation (then I really am setting myself up to fall) but to remain incredibly humble, for it wasn't my own doing, but Christ working in me that has let me say 'yes' to Him everyday and 'no' to my sinful flesh.

Edited by Brother Adam

thessalonian

In Augustines confessions, he laments the sins he would have committed had he not found Christ. Now that is an abhorence of sin. It is also a recognition that we have not power over sin but in Christ we do have such power.

God Conquers

Positive. Excellent post, it is very true.

I sometimes thank God for the preservation He has given me in the past from serious sin as well.