An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Church and Domestic Violence

Cure of Ars

Cure of Ars

At my work I am taking an online training for Domestic Violence. In the history section it says the following.

[quote]Around 1140 AD the Catholic church codified rules stating a wife was obligated to submit to the punishment of her husband. It was Canon law that set the general principals that guided all of Europe on the subject of women until the 16th century. In medieval Europe, feudal law made wives their husbands’ chattel or property, like livestock, with wifely disobedience enforced by community punishment such as iron muzzles with spikes that depressed the tongue, known as “public chastisement.”[/quote]

I am too angry right now to respond to this. The Catholic Church is the only religion mentioned directly in the history. If you guys could help me out with this I would appreciate it. I also need to pray about what my response should be.

Here are some other quotes;

[quote]Seeing the position of women in historical religious context

Some of the world's religions have historically seen women as second-class citizens, and these views have tended to set cultural and legal precedents. They were (and in some instances still are) unable to own property, unable to hold positions of power within the church, reach salvation without a husband, or even have control over their own bodies.

While none of these things are abuse, per se, the patriarchy sets up a "power-over" dynamic which can become a foundation for abusive behaviors.[/quote]

[quote]Spiritual abuse occurs when there is a deep-seated belief in an autocratic system of leadership in the home -- where there is only one partner in charge. This belief allows one partner to tout themselves as able to speak "God's Will" and to interpret scripture and make decisions for everyone involved. This can lead to emotional, verbal, and spiritual abuse.

Scriptures DO NOT condone the use of violence, but do encourage principles that can contribute to domestic violence if they are misconstrued as justification by an abuser.

Scripture interpretation can be a very dangerous tool in the hands of an abuser. Unhealthy interpretation of scriptures can make a victim feel ashamed or abandoned by deity. However, when interpreted correctly, scriptures can be a very positive tool. [/quote]

[quote]Understanding the role of faith leaders

The problem of spiritual abuse is further compounded by the fact that many religions rightly place a high importance on maintaining the sanctity of family. However, this makes it extremely difficult for a victim of domestic violence to get the kinds of help she or he needs to be safe.

Faith leaders, hoping to be of good service to their congregation, sometimes recommend that the family get counseling together when there is a problem of abuse in the home. However, without individual domestic violence-specific counseling for the abuser (and the victim if she wants it), the problem will likely become worse.

Faith leaders should always know when to refer their congregation members to a DV professional for help. With the proper training, faith leaders can be a huge help in fighting domestic violence in fighting our communities and homes.[/quote]

Paphnutius

I would recommend researching this decree: Decretum Gratiani.

It seems to be what was put out around that time that brought together past canons. It is kinda down on women (not being created imago Dei, not being able to touch sacred objects, etc...), but I saw nothing about the punishments listed above.

I did see something that mentioned that they cannot be deaconesses until the age of 40. Interesting.

Anyway that was all I could really find. Good luck and God's speed.

Textbooks (especially in traditionally liberal disciplines) are always very clear about how they feel about the Holy Church. In fact, the writer has a bone to pick with religion in general, which after all makes it "very difficult" for women to be safe.

phatcatholic

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04391a.htm"][b]this article[/b][/url] lists the principle collections of church law throughout the history of the church. with this, at least you'll know exactly which documents to look for when you are researching what church law has said about the role of women. i will try to find more.....

phatcatholic

i'm getting the impression that if you don't know german or latin, ur screwd as far as this research is concerned.........

phatcatholic

now, i don't know if this is indicative of the time in which he lived, or of universal church doctrine, or both, but aquinas' treatment of [url="http://www.newadvent.org/summa/109200.htm"][b]the production of woman[/b][/url] could be seen as furthering the opinion of your professor, or of whoever wrote the quotes you provided.

phatcatholic

btw, these articles list the early collections of church law as well:
[b]--[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09056a.htm"]Canon Law[/url]
--[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03279a.htm"]Apostolic Canons[/url]
--[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03281a.htm"]Collections of Ancient Canons[/url]
--[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03287a.htm"]Ecclesiastical Canons[/url]
--[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11636a.htm"]Penitential Canons[/url][/b]

phatcatholic

from [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15687b.htm"][b]this article[/b][/url], we read the following, under the subtitle "Women in English-Speaking Countries":[list]In English the word "woman" is a contraction of "wife-man". This indicates that from the earliest times the Anglo-Saxons believed that woman's proper sphere was the domestic one. The earliest English laws treat consequently for the most part of the marriage relation. The so-called "bride-purchase" was not a transaction in barter, but was a contribution on the part of the husband for acquiring part of the family property; while the "morning-gift" was a settlement made on the bride. This custom, though in use among the ancient Teutonic nations, is also found in old Roman laws embodied in Justinian's redaction. King Ethelbert enacted that if a man seduced a wife from her husband the seducer must pay the expenses of the husband's second marriage. As to property, King Ina's code recognizes the wife's claim to one-third of her husband's possessions. At a later date King Edmund I decreed that by prenuptial contract the wife could acquire a right to one-half of the family property, and, if after her husband's decease she remained unmarried, she was entitled to all his possessions, provided children had been born of the union. Monogamy was strictly enforced, and the laws of King Canute decreed as a penalty for adultery that the erring wife's nose and ears should be cut off. Various laws were enacted for the protection of female slaves. After the Norman conquest, even more than in Anglo-Saxon times, the tendency of legislation was rather to legislate around husband and wife than between them. The consequence was that the husband as predominant partner acquired greater rights over his wife's property and person. On his death, however, she always reclaimed her dower-rights and some portion of his possessions. At the same period the Scottish laws regulated, according to the woman's rank, a certain sum to be paid to the lord of a manor on the marriage of a tenant's daughter. We may remark here that the infamous droit du seigneur (the right of the lord to pass the first night with his tenant's bride) is a fable of modern date, of which not the slightest trace is found in the laws, histories, or literature of any civilized country of Europe. The statute law of England dispenses women from all civil duties that are proper to men, such as rendering homage, holding military fiefs, making oath of allegiance, accepting sheriff's service, and the obligations flowing therefrom. They could, however, receive homage and be made constables ofa village or castle if such were not one of the national defences. At fourteen, if an heiress, a woman might have livery of land. If she made a will, it was revoked by her subsequent marriage. A woman could not be a witness in court as to a man's status, and she could not accuse a man of murder except in the case that the victim was her husband. Benefit of clergy was not allowed to women in pre-Reformation times, as the idea was repugnant to Catholic feeling. Women might work at trades, and King Edward III, when restricting workmen to the use of one handicraft, excepted women from this rule. There were many early regulations as to the dress of women, the general prescription being that they should be garbed according to the rank of their husbands.
[/list]there is also a section on "Women in Canon Law" which may be helpful, although it doesn't list any of the severe penalties you cited. the entire article is helpful in that it shows how the Church has actually elevated the role and dignity of woman, not surpressed it.

i hope that helps

pax christi,
phatcatholic

Cure of Ars

Ok, I think this is going to need some professional help. I called Catholic Answers and asked my questions. They should be getting back to me sometime next week.