An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lectionary

Mrvoll

What Lactionary do you like better  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The reason that they don't coincide is because the Liturgy of the Word was reformed. So, the readings in the various cycles, is not consistent with that of the pre-Vatican Council II Liturgy.

Not a big deal.....both are the word of God.

now, the faithful are exposed to the whole of Scripture in the Liturgy.... ( at least, this is my understanding.... if i am wrong, someone please correct my error)

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Jun 11 2005, 04:32 PM']now, the faithful are exposed to the whole of Scripture in the Liturgy.... ( at least, this is my understanding.... if i am wrong, someone please correct my error)
[right][snapback]609365[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Over a three year period, 97% of Sacred Scripture is read at Mass.

Brother Adam

I'd like to see a short resource produced with the daily mass readings and Sundays readings for all three cycles all together (and instead of them all drawn out, yes i know they are online for it to just be the references)

(I.E.
6/12/05
Reading 1: _____
Reading 2: _____
Gospel: _______
6/13/05
Reading 1:____
.... and so on)

FutureSoror

I don't really like one better than the other, although sometimes I wish they just both used the same one.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jun 11 2005, 05:46 PM']I'd like to see a short resource produced with the daily mass readings and Sundays readings for all three cycles all together (and instead of them all drawn out, yes i know they are online for it to just be the references)

(I.E.
6/12/05
Reading 1: _____
Reading 2: _____
Gospel: _______
6/13/05
Reading 1:____
.... and so on)
[right][snapback]609392[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Bro. Adam....

[url="http://myweb.lmu.edu/fjust/Lectionary.htm"]Roman Catholic Lectionary Website[/url]

conservativecatholic

I received a Daily Roman Missal (Post Vatican II) as a gift for confirmation a few weeks back and I've been comparing it to the pre-Vatican II Latin Missal of my mother. In my opinion, the readings that embody her pre-vatican II missal are much more organized and the nexus between a particular day's readings in the Latin missal are clearly visible rather than today's missal. Although I will say, the Daily Roman Missal that my parents gave me is awesome!

Edited by conservativecatholic

You know, I like to watch Luthern Service on Sun. morings. ( I go Sat. Night) and they use the same readings, so that is why I started this thread.

[quote name='conservativecatholic' date='Jun 13 2005, 08:40 PM']I received a Daily Roman Missal (Post Vatican II) as a gift for confirmation a few weeks back and I've been comparing it to the pre-Vatican II Latin Missal of my mother. In my opinion, the readings that embody her pre-vatican II missal are much more organized and the nexus between a particular day's readings in the Latin missal are clearly visible rather than today's missal. Although I will say, the Daily Roman Missal that my parents gave me is awesome!
[right][snapback]610961[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I use that every day.....It is a Scepter Publishers product. A product of the Work.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 11 2005, 05:24 PM']Over a three year period, 97% of Sacred Scripture is read at Mass.
[right][snapback]609384[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
only if scriptures are not left out for "pastorial reasons" somthing I find very very common. BUtthat is not the Churches fault.

son_of_angels

As someone who attends both the Tridentine Mass and the Missa Normativa, I appreciate both missals. The new one seems uniquely suited for public reading, and for scriptural exposition in the homily. The older one is better and demonstrating the mystical subject of the various feasts and so forth which we celebrate. Also, there is a good deal of flexibility with the old one as to which readings are used during Ferias, whereas the newer one has readings specifically appointed for each day.
I, however, like the old lectionary much better because it uniquely points to the devotional subject of each mass, and thus has a much better system for votive masses, saint's day masses, and so on. It simply is better suited to the unique character of a Mass as opposed to a worship service. Also, when it uses multiple readings before the Gospel, as on Ember days, these readings are followed each by a tract and collect, which makes the service more focused and prayerful.
I also understand that this lectionary would probably not be suited to the Novus Ordo mass, as the readings in the new mass are something which you specifically sit down and listen to from the pulpit. This is much different than the readings being chanted or read from the altar while kneeling (at Low Mass) or standing. In the old mass, the readings form a part of the overall prayer, whereas they are just kind of presented as a block in a new mass.

So there's my thoughts.

[color=purple]
[quote name='dspen2005' date='Jun 11 2005, 06:32 PM']now, the faithful are exposed to the whole of Scripture in the Liturgy.... ( at least, this is my understanding.... if i am wrong, someone please correct my error)
[right][snapback]609365[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 11 2005, 07:24 PM']Over a three year period, 97% of Sacred Scripture is read at Mass.
[right][snapback]609384[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jun 15 2005, 11:38 PM']only if scriptures are not left out for "pastorial reasons" somthing I find very very common. BUtthat is not the Churches fault.
[right][snapback]612959[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm a little confused. Do any of you know the changes the lectionaries made in regards to like, the concerns women made at the time? Including more women in the scripture and such? I would think that the post-Vatican II lectionary would be better at addressing their concerns but I might be wrong.

I guess I just wonder, how, if 97% of Sacred Scripture is read at mass over a 3 year cycle, with whatever changes were made in the readings post-Vatican II, is there still a large omission of women from the readings? Not that I don’t whole-heartedly revere, value and learn from all scripture, but, as some critics say, readings with women are either missing, reconfigured, made "optional", or exised/skipped over within the context of a larger story - and if the passage makes it past these 4 things is more likely to be on a Weekday. It's not even like it's just a little difference, like, 70% male 30% female, (both stories can be read for either gender, I just mean highlighting the characters, although there is a greater male presence in the Bible as a whole), but it's far lower.

The lectionary includes many readings showing the struggle people face in joining Christ, and dealing with their own lives along the way…but so many passages for women in particular are difficult for them to understand and reconcile with their own lives in a Christian manner – whether that be wives submitting to their husbands, the portrayl of a woman’s body, or whatnot. While I don’t know that I mind that being left out, that is a major issue that affects Christ’s message for many, many women that is never in the lectionary and rarely talked about on the altar on Sunday. We need to address somewhere besides quiet study groups the fact that the divine word of God has used woman to explain evil :( … it’s so hard to understand, and I think more people would if this was addressed more in the lectionary.

Does anyone know of any changes to the liturgy pre/post Vatican II that deal with this?
[/color]

son_of_angels

[quote]We need to address somewhere besides quiet study groups the fact that the divine word of God has used woman to explain evil  … it’s so hard to understand, and I think more people would if this was addressed more in the lectionary.[/quote]

Actually I think that this sort of issue is exactly the sort that we need to avoid or ignore. Both the Novus Ordo and Tridentine Lectionaries come from the past, not just the recent past, and not from particular political agendas. They are a beautiful heritage that needs to be preserved.
I do not believe that either the lectionary or the mass needs to be "adapted" to suit modern congregants, nor do we need to "create" liturgies or lectionaries that have an agenda as opposed to flowing from the perennial devotion ignited by the heritage of the Church.

Edited by son_of_angels

conservativecatholic

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 15 2005, 09:28 PM']I use that every day.....It is a Scepter Publishers product.  A product of the Work.
[right][snapback]612956[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes sir...The Daily Roman Missal is published by Scepter. That's so cool. I had no idea it had an association with Opus Dei. Very nice! :)