An Old School Catholic Message Board

Every parish in Steubenville is being closed

Brother Adam

Fides_et_Ratio

However, after attending Mass at Holy Rosary (I think)... it's probably for the best that it's being closed... my youth minister, me, and the priest were the only ones singing along, the organist maybe knew 3 notes, maybe 5 people were dressed like they were at Mass, and they announced the family bringing up the gifts and said something about Mr. so-and-so was a successful businessman in the area, and lastly, all but 5 people (the same 5 who looked like they were at a Mass) left the Church before the priest processed down the aisle at the conclusion of the celebration.

One of the worst parishes I've ever been to.

Brother Adam

That's about the opposite of what I have experienced there and I've been about a dozen times.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jun 17 2005, 09:13 PM'][. . .]  or turn off the lights, most people are  going to give what they really can if the go into a church which is dark from lack of electricity, all of these things should be done before the parish itself is closed. How often is that done... in my diocese never.
[right][snapback]615054[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
As a little side note, I like Churches that don't have a lot of bright lighting. Every time that I've gone to the Russian Orthodox Cathedral in SF it's dark and it's lit mainly by candles. It's beautiful.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/apotheoun/sf_russianchurch.jpg[/img]

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jun 18 2005, 12:30 AM']That's about the opposite of what I have experienced there and I've been about a dozen times.
[right][snapback]615069[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It might not have been Holy Rosary... that's why I said "I think" in parathesis... it wasn't Holy Family, but I was thinking it was Holy something... I'd have to ask my youth minister.

My experiences at the Churches in the Steubenville area helped me to discover that I fit better in the Byzantine Church.

:D

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Jun 18 2005, 12:26 AM']However, after attending Mass at Holy Rosary (I think)... it's probably for the best that it's being closed... my youth minister, me, and the priest were the only ones singing along, the organist maybe knew 3 notes, maybe 5 people were dressed like they were at Mass, and they announced the family bringing up the gifts and said something about Mr. so-and-so was a successful businessman in the area, and lastly, all but 5 people (the same 5 who looked like they were at a Mass) left the Church before the priest processed down the aisle at the conclusion of the celebration.

[right][snapback]615064[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
woa... you know it's quite a coincidence because that is the only church in steubenville I've ever been to... I was on a roadtrip with my friend, it was Sunday, and it was the only Church we could find. Anyway, it was amazing. I remember remarking to my friend at the end "that's novus ordo done right"

they had incence and bells...
no liturgical innovations...
no one was dressed inappropriately (it wasn't like they were all dressed up, though some were, but none was immodestly dressed)

one of the best Roman normativa churches I've ever been to.

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jun 18 2005, 12:45 AM']My experiences at the Church's in the Steubenville area helped me to discover that I fit better in the Byzantine Church. 

:D
[right][snapback]615082[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The Byzantine priest I talked to told me that they (Eastern rite Catholics) like to discourage "disgruntled Latin rite Catholics from changing rites" for fear that they may try to "Latinize" their "beautiful Eastern liturgies" :P

Aloysius...
ack, so maybe it wasn't Holy Rosary... I'm pretty sure it was not Holy Family either, but those are the only two "Holy ......" parishes I know of in Steubenville... maybe I was wrong on the name... I'd have to check with my youth minister. It was a Saturday vigil Mass, I remember that much very distinctly, because we were catching it on the way to Columbus because I didn't want to stay any longer than I had to.
I have a bad memory, especially when plagued by sinus headaches. Perhaps this will teach me to keep my mouth shut about specifics while experiencing said sinus headaches. :wacko:

sorry... lol

I just thought that was crazy because it's the only parish I've ever been to in Steubenville... I've seen the church on the steubenville campus but never attended mass in steubenville any time except that one time at that one place... lol bad luck you just happened to mention the one place in steubenville i had been to and loved liturgically

oh, and Apotheon is definitely byzantine. he's not disgruntled latin... he's liturgically and theologically eastern

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Jun 17 2005, 09:53 PM']The Byzantine priest I talked to told me that they (Eastern rite Catholics) like to discourage "disgruntled Latin rite Catholics from changing rites" for fear that they may try to "Latinize" their "beautiful Eastern liturgies" :P
[right][snapback]615084[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I can understand that fear, and I too would discourage anyone who wants to become Byzantine without actually assimilating the spirituality and theology of the East.

For me changing rites worked out because my theology (i.e., triadology, christology, focus on theosis and the nature of grace as divine energy) had already become Eastern. I don't want Westerners to come to the East in order to Latinize it.

[quote name='Philippe' date='Jun 17 2005, 10:01 PM']We all must trust that this is God's Will and that it will strengthen our Church in the long run
[right][snapback]615088[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree. I do feel sad for all those who have invested sweat and tears in the building up of all the parishes that will be closing, and I feel for those who will have less options on where to attend Mass, but perhaps out of all this suffering some good will come.

I'll have to attend Mass at Holy Rosary again. I remember not being too fond of it.

It is sad that so many churches are closing in steubenville (and around the US).

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jun 17 2005, 11:12 PM']Big enough that every mass at every parish is packed each sunday.
[right][snapback]614995[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thats not entirely true. There are a few smaller parishes that had almost no parishoners except fora few elderly people who had been going there for ages.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Jun 18 2005, 12:26 AM']However, after attending Mass at Holy Rosary (I think)... it's probably for the best that it's being closed...
[right][snapback]615064[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jun 18 2005, 12:30 AM']That's about the opposite of what I have experienced there and I've been about a dozen times.
[right][snapback]615069[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Jun 18 2005, 12:41 AM']It might not have been Holy Rosary...
[right][snapback]615077[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jun 18 2005, 12:46 AM'] "that's novus ordo done right"

they had incence and bells...
no liturgical innovations...
no one was dressed inappropriately (it wasn't like they were all dressed up, though some were, but none was immodestly dressed)

one of the best Roman normativa churches I've ever been to.
[right][snapback]615083[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[quote name='Oik' date='Jun 18 2005, 03:56 AM']I'll have to attend Mass at Holy Rosary again. I remember not being too fond of it.
[right][snapback]615126[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Honestly, I don't think that Holy Rosary is all that great. Its not horrid, but its not that great. It suprises me that several people have said that they thought it was one of the better parishes (are you SURE it wasn't Holy Family? lol Their church is more modern looking and the Tabernacle is off to the side, but I find the liturgy far better there than at Holy Rosary). Believe me, I've gone there enough times to know that I'm not satisfied with it, we went there nearly every week when I was pregnant (through both pregnancies) because I felt too ill in the mornings and they are one of the few parishes in the greater Steubie area that has an evening Mass. (And I've gone to at least 6 of the parishes in the general Steubie/Weirton area, I'd have to say that they are leaving the best parishes in the area open.) I'd say that probably at least 8 out of 10 people at Holy Rosary aren't dressed appropriately for Mass (girls in tiny skirts and belly shirts for example).

Edited by IcePrincessKRS