An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope set to return to traditional liturgy

Fidei Defensor

This is great news!

Besides, the article doesn't read "Pope Benedict os condemning Life Teen Masses."

This means the return o fthe liturgy as a witness. This is great! No one is undoing the work of Pope John Paul the Great. He built up the people and his legacy is amazing.

We need more emphasis on the sacredness of the Liturgy in our day and age. This emphasizes the sacred space, the holiness, the Sacrafice of Christ in the Mass.

With a greater emphasis on the Mass, more of the laity can turn their efforts to ministries outside of the Mass, to help build up the community.

Good Friday

I would point out to detractors that the return to the use of Latin and Gregorian Chant in papal liturgies makes those liturgies more universal (catholic), not less universal. The use of one standardized language, normative for the entire Latin Rite, makes papal liturgies universal in that it does not give English, Spanish, Italian, Polish, etc. a pride of place -- instead, it subjects them all to Latin, the universal language of the Latin Church. The use of one standardized form of music, such as Gregorian Chant and/or classic polyphony, ensures that favoritism is not shown to one cultural form of music over another, by ensuring that all of these are subjected to chant and polyphony, the universal liturgical music of the Latin Church.

Pope Benedict XVI is making the papal liturgy more truly universal (that is, more truly catholic), and he is making the liturgy welcoming toward people of all races, nationalities, cultures, etc. We should be celebrating his decision to make his liturgies more universal, not criticizing it.

Ash Wednesday

Right on, Good Friday.

I think we should keep in mind that Benedict going back to more traditional styles shouldn't be intended or introduced as a "slam" on whatever John Paul allowed. Every pope has their own style and gifts to bring to the Church.

[quote]i wouldnt consider this great news. Gregorian chant is not for everyone, at least no we can cater to the likes of many. I know if it was like this, i know people that would stop going.[/quote]
I'm wary of attempts at pleasing everyone, because usually in the end, nobody is pleased and the unity is lost. If someone stops going to Mass because they don't like Gregorian chant, then they obviously don't understand the importance of the Eucharist. It's no different than Catholics that left the Church when they introduced the Novus Ordo.

Many such as myself have endured years of banal music for the sake of the Eucharist.

Ich liebe meinen pabst. :hearts:

Ich leibe meinen deutschen heiligen Vater!

I have a funny for you all- whenever someone says
"Our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI" I just want to go "woo!" :D
and whenever someone says he name of our Bishop, I want to go "yeah!"

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Jun 20 2005, 02:08 PM']Ich liebe meinen pabst. :hearts:
[right][snapback]617024[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Isn't Pabst a beer? ;) Appropriate for a German Pope. ;)

[quote name='Good Friday' date='Jun 20 2005, 01:54 PM']I would point out to detractors that the return to the use of Latin and Gregorian Chant in papal liturgies makes those liturgies more universal (catholic), not less universal.  The use of one standardized language, normative for the entire Latin Rite, makes papal liturgies universal in that it does not give English, Spanish, Italian, Polish, etc. a pride of place -- instead, it subjects them all to Latin, the universal language of the Latin Church.  The use of one standardized form of music, such as Gregorian Chant and/or classic polyphony, ensures that favoritism is not shown to one cultural form of music over another, by ensuring that all of these are subjected to chant and polyphony, the universal liturgical music of the Latin Church.

Pope Benedict XVI is making the papal liturgy more truly universal (that is, more truly catholic), and he is making the liturgy welcoming toward people of all races, nationalities, cultures, etc.  We should be celebrating his decision to make his liturgies more universal, not criticizing it.
[right][snapback]617000[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly. Awesome.

Although, as a member of the Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic Church, I do not see the use of Latin as "universal," I do see it as a significant sign of historical continuity within the Latin Church. Thus, the use of the Latin language in the celebration of the Divine Liturgy by the Latin Patriarch can only be thought of as a good thing.

What does this mean for the Latin Rite Catholics world wide? I wonder if he's going to push this worldwide.

Guest Eremite

[quote]And so, I think we have to restore not so much certain ceremonies, but the essential idea of liturgy – to understand in liturgy, we are not representing ourselves, but we receive the grace of the presence of the Lord with the Church of the heaven and of the earth.  And the universality of the liturgy, it seems to me, is essential.  Definition of liturgy and restoring this idea would also help to be more obedient to the norms, not as a juridical positivism, but really as sharing, participating what is given to us from the Lord in the Church.

--Pope Benedict XVI

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/ISSUES/RATZINTV.HTM"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/ISSUES/RATZINTV.HTM[/url][/quote]

I don't expect major changes, but rather, a renewal of our Liturgical hearts. If he can change hearts, everything else will follow.

Q the Ninja

Oh brother. This only goes for the Liturgies at St. Peter's and no one cares what the Mass is like when they go to see the Holy Father. :rolleyes:

Did you know that his Wednesday audiences are larger than Pope John Paul II's?