An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Latin Vulgate

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Is it time for a new, modern English translation of the Latin Vulgate?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jun 22 2005, 07:58 PM']You know its funny I don't actually find the Navarre all that helpful. That's why I sold two of them to Dust and only kept the Gospel and Acts. I find the St. Jerome Bible Commentary much more helpful.

I also have a few really ancient Bible commentaries from the library of a priest who passed away at our parish.
[right][snapback]619925[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The only problem is that that commentary holds erroneous theories like crazy...such as that Luke did not author his Gospel or acts, the Markan priority theory, and it some times doubts the inspriation of the Bible. It seems to be the intellectual heir to the Liberal quest.

And the RSV is quite good.

Edited by Theoketos

JMJ
6/27 - St. Cyril of Alexandria
[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 26 2005, 06:06 PM']I still assert that the current translations are acceptable.
[right][snapback]624655[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I second this. Fr. John Echert, the Scripture scholar on EWTN's website, says that the RSV:CE is the best modern English translation of the Bible that's he's seen.

As for the Vulgate being useful for scholarship...this is true in a secondary way, perhaps. It doesn't make much sense to limit scholarship to these sources - they're translations and carry with them the defects of translations. Read the Greek.

Well...who do you think taught me New Testament in college?

Did he teach you too, or was he gone by the time that you took NT?

Incidentally, did you know that he was just made pastor of St. Augustine (the indult parish, for you non-Minnesotans) and Holy Spirit? And Bryan Pederson is the assistant......

Can anyone say traditional?

JMJ
6/28 - St. Iranaeus of Lyons
[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 28 2005, 10:48 AM']Well...who do you think taught me New Testament in college?

Did he teach you too, or was he gone by the time that you took NT?

Incidentally, did you know that he was just made pastor of St. Augustine (the indult parish, for you non-Minnesotans) and Holy Spirit?  And Bryan Pederson is the assistant......

Can anyone say traditional?
[right][snapback]626188[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I was in his last New Testament class. Yeah, I know a seminarian from St. Augustine's who goes to St. John Vianney. I was never able to get out there during my time in Minnesota. Oh well. :P Just hit up the indult parish here in Omaha, and it was a nice Liturgy.

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Jun 28 2005, 03:11 PM']JMJ
6/28 - St. Iranaeus of Lyons

I was in his last New Testament class.  Yeah, I know a seminarian from St. Augustine's who goes to St. John Vianney.  I was never able to get out there during my time in Minnesota.  Oh well. :P  Just hit up the indult parish here in Omaha, and it was a nice Liturgy.
[right][snapback]626436[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Where are you going to Major Sem?

JMJ
7/1 - Bl. Junipero Serra
[quote name='Cam42' date='Jul 1 2005, 06:26 AM']Where are you going to Major Sem?
[right][snapback]629215[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'll be entering Theology I at Fundelein...er, MUNdelein in the fall. ;) I look forward to attending St. John Cantius in Chicago sooner or later.

Oh boy....good luck.....I know much about Munelein. I will pray for you.

I also know Cantius very well....great place. Good Mass. Frs. Frank, Jim and Dennis are all great people.

Fr. Burns Seeley is one of the smartest men I have ever met.