An Old School Catholic Message Board

LittleLes

blovedwolfofgod

blovedwolfofgod

Does anyone think we are too mean to LittleLes? This is how I see it. He comes with an assertion and tries to build his case. Everyone else tries to take it apart. Its a phenomenal battle of words. I learn a great deal of stuff. But it seems like people just try and ignore him or put him off, or ridicule him. I think we should thank him. He may be wrong, or nuts, or have a chip on the shoulder, but everyone learns a little when he is around. I believe that sometimes people are put in our lives so that we can learn, or to cause us to learn. Maybe LittleLes is an opportunity.

We are too nice to LittleLes. There is a BIG difference between discussion, debate, communication of ideas, honest conversation. We have had MANY non-Catholics and non-Christians debate and discuss and honestly exchange a differing opinions and perspectives.
We have had a few people like Les who aren't really interested in being open minded, instead, they only want us to be open to their opinion so they can 'pontificate'. Les has repeatedly failed to engage in honest discussion and explain the specific challenges made.
Scripture also tells us there comes a time to shake the dust off your feet and move on. Les is less of an opportunity than you think. He is tolerated because that is the nature of the people here and a few have the patience and fortitude to continue to debunk and defend against his absurd claims. You'd have to read more of Les' posts to see how much a bore this has been for a very long time.
Better yet, start a poll and see how many people think that Les is a pain and should be kicked off. I'm not sure if the majority would vote that yet, but it would be a large percentage. :cool: <_<

[quote name='blovedwolfofgod' date='Jun 23 2005, 04:59 AM']Does anyone think we are too mean to LittleLes? This is how I see it. He comes with an assertion and tries to build his case. Everyone else tries to take it apart. Its a phenomenal battle of words. I learn a great deal of stuff. But it seems like people just try and ignore him or put him off, or ridicule him. I think we should thank him. He may be wrong, or nuts, or have a chip on the shoulder, but everyone learns a little when he is around. I believe that sometimes people are put in our lives so that we can learn, or to cause us to learn. Maybe LittleLes is an opportunity.
[right][snapback]620294[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well i really don't know what yer takling about, as evidenced maybe by my grand total of like 10 posts...but I think you are thinking correctly about this...I once had to learn something

haha :D

[i]once[/i]

this one thing being

[b]it is more important to love the person than to win the argument...[/b]

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jun 23 2005, 06:37 AM'][b]it is more important to love the person than to win the argument...[/b]
[right][snapback]620343[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This comment reminded me of the following words from a homily given by Pope John Paul II:

"St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross says to us all: Do not accept anything as the truth if it lacks love. And do not accept anything as love which lacks truth! One without the other becomes a destructive lie." [Pope John Paul II, "[u]Homily delivered at the Canonization of Edith Stein[/u], [i]L'Osservatore Romano[/i], 14 October 1998]

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jun 23 2005, 08:52 AM']This comment reminded me of the following words from a homily given by Pope John Paul II:

"St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross says to us all:  Do not accept anything as the truth if it lacks love.  And do not accept anything as love which lacks truth!  One without the other becomes a destructive lie." [Pope John Paul II, "[u]Homily delivered at the Canonization of Edith Stein[/u], [i]L'Osservatore Romano[/i], 14 October 1998]
[right][snapback]620350[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[i]Thats awesome! [/i]

...You like G. Palamas, do you? Haha- I visited a church named after him. He really caused me alot of problems, you know...in debates with Greek Orthodox monks, etc etc- [i]they kept quoting him![/i]

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jun 23 2005, 06:58 AM'][i]Thats awesome!  [/i]
...You like G. Palamas, do you? Haha- I visited a church named after him.  He really caused me alot of problems, you know...in debates with Greek Orthodox monks, etc etc- [i]they kept quoting him![/i]
[right][snapback]620352[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I am a Palamite, so I love St. Gregory Palamas.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jun 23 2005, 08:52 AM']This comment reminded me of the following words from a homily given by Pope John Paul II:

"St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross says to us all:  Do not accept anything as the truth if it lacks love.  And do not accept anything as love which lacks truth!  One without the other becomes a destructive lie." [Pope John Paul II, "[u]Homily delivered at the Canonization of Edith Stein[/u], [i]L'Osservatore Romano[/i], 14 October 1998]
[right][snapback]620350[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

I have some problems with her canonizationization. Didn't she have the requirement for miracles waived because she was a martyr. But the Nazi's executed her for being Jewish, not for being Catholic. So how was she a martyr for the faith? :(

And of course Catholic's take every word which someone who is beatified or canonized said as coming straight from God. It's a darn good thing that Father Leon Dehon's scheduled beatification has been put on hold! :P

Oh Littleles,

Why must you make it so hard for a man to say something nice in connection with you?

The point of my post, and of the post I was responding to, was that people should be charitable when speaking with you. Is that such a terrible thing?

May God bless you,
Todd

BTW - The questions in this post are rhetorical, so please don't feel compelled to respond to them.

1337 k4th0l1x0r

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jun 23 2005, 09:22 AM']RESPONSE:

I have some problems with her canonizationization. Didn't she have the requirement for miracles waived because she was a martyr. But the Nazi's executed her for being Jewish, not for being Catholic. So how was she a martyr for the faith? :(

And of course Catholic's take every word which someone who is beatified or canonized said as coming straight from God. It's a darn good thing that Father Leon Dehon's scheduled beatification has been put on hold! :P
[right][snapback]620372[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
RESPONSE:

It is not your right as a supposedly faithful Catholic to have a problem with a canonization. It is an infallible decree of the pope. She didn't have all the requirements waived for being a martyr. Being a martyr does pretty much make you qualify for being a venerable, but miracles still must be present before beatification and canonization. The Nazi's didn't only execute Jews, but also executed Catholics. While it can be said that she may have been executed for being a Jew had the Nazis been taking her to the concentration camp for that purpose, it can also be argued that she was killed because she was a nun as well and would have been even moreso detested by the Nazis for being both a Jew and a Catholic nun.

Also the quote wasn't meant as the words of God. The words of the saints are advice that maybe we on Earth should heed. Must you construe that people here are saying this is something from the mouth of God. They never said it was but you seem to have no problem making baseless accusations.

Edited by 1337 k4th0l1x0r

i think we have tried the route of charity for a long time now. Still we should be charitable forever. Sometimes the nicest thing to do is to boot people.

[quote name='1337 k4th0l1x0r' date='Jun 23 2005, 09:43 AM']RESPONSE:

It is not your right as a supposedly faithful Catholic to have a problem with a canonization.  It is an infallible decree of the pope.  [/quote]

RESPONSE:

It is absolutely my right to have a problem with the canonization of any individual. Check your canon law.

If you've been reading your Catholic news papers or reading Netscape news, you know that Fr. Leon Dehon's beatification - already approved, has been put on hold after complaints about his anti-semitism were received from the French bishops, and French goverment officials refused to attend the beatification.

That beatification would have been "infallibly" in error. :wacko:

[quote name='jezic' date='Jun 23 2005, 09:51 AM']i think we have tried the route of charity for a long time now. Still we should be charitable forever. Sometimes the nicest thing to do is to boot people.
[right][snapback]620392[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think I might agree. Les seems to incite people to uncharitable behavior. If only for the sake of the Catholics who can't control their emotions, he should not be encouraged. <_<

It would be totally different if he actually was open to... anything, or even stayed on topic so people could have a rational discussion.

Kilroy the Ninja

This thread is entirely inappropriate.

This is a debate board. Not a gripe board.

We have all been called to charity numerous times.

Please refrain from creating threads regarding how to deal with individuals. This is not a high school social club.

God Bless.

Since the promulgation of the revised [u]Code of Canon Law[/u] in 1983, the norms and procedures to be followed in the process of beatification and canonization are no longer a part of the code; instead, they are now found in the Apostolic Constitution [u]Divinus Perfectionis Magister[/u].