An Old School Catholic Message Board

Older/Late Vocations Men & Women

ofpheritup

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 22 2005, 02:31 AM']let us know how it goes! :D:
[right][snapback]653972[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:idontknow: :shock: :idontknow: :blink: :idontknow: :topsy: :o :idontknow:

I'M BACK...I like the statement, "let us know how it goes." Okay, well I guess...... IT WENT.

I went looking for answers (of course) didn't find any but came back with more questions. I HAVE A HEADACHE.

Dad (God) has a great sense of humor. As anyone who knows Him realizes.

One of the things I am being asked to look at is, would I consider getting remarried. WHERE DID THAT COME FROM? I want to send it back. Where is UPS when you need them?

Before I left and for all the time I have been researching THAT was never a question or option. I guess it is now.

I love you, thank you SO MUCH for your support. I AM SO BLESSED TO HAVE YOU IN MY LIFE. Please continue to pray for me.

I NOW HAVE SOME THINKING TO DO.

:juggle: :getaclue: :bigthink: :bigpray:

ps. Today is the Feastday of St. Maximillan Kolbe

All For Jesus

Welcome back, ofpheritup...I had been thinking about you lately. I hope you enjoyed your visit. Sometimes it is hard to know what God is asking of us and all we can do is hand it over to Him.- He wants to help us so much, all we have to do is surrender our wills to Him-(though this is not an easy thing to do.) Pray hard!

• 2 weeks later...
passionheart

Hello,

I was thinking about us "older vocations" types and I think we should show the same enthusiam as our younger counterparts.

So my question is this in a other words a POLL

If given the opportunity, what order would you enter and why? The order can be either active or contemplative. Let us support and help one another find our way.

Cheers,

DM

[quote name='passionheart' date='Aug 27 2005, 11:39 PM']Hello,

I was thinking about us "older vocations" types and I think we should show the same enthusiam as our younger counterparts.

So my question is this in a other words a POLL

Let us support and help one another find our way.

Cheers,

DM
[right][snapback]702343[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No it isn't a POLL.

I started this topic to support anyone who is "older"and considering a vocation to the religious life. I was (am still) hoping we can share experiences...good....bad...or indifferent.

I am not quite sure I know what you mean when you say "show the same enthusiasim as our younger counterparts." I DO. and so does everyone else I have been in contact with.

Specifically what I would like to see happen is finding out what communities DO ACCEPT OLDER VOCATIONS and list those.
Do you know of any?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

There is a yahoo group that has started a list of communities that accept older vocations, but I don't have a website handy...

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Aug 28 2005, 09:43 PM']No it isn't a POLL. 

I started this topic to support anyone who is "older"and  considering a vocation to the religious life.  I was (am still) hoping we can share experiences...good....bad...or indifferent.

I am not quite sure I know what you mean when you say  "show the same enthusiasim as our younger counterparts."  I DO. and so does everyone else I have been in contact with.

Specifically what I would like to see happen is finding out what communities DO ACCEPT OLDER VOCATIONS and list those. 
Do you know of any?
[right][snapback]703143[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Have you considered starting your own.? That would certainly solve the problem. and yes I am serious. I have considered religious life for awhile bu I was too old by everyones standards.

passionheart

My friend,

I have seen these same links to same orders that will accept older women. However, my point in my post is this:

Maybe people have found orders that accept older women and they didn't proceed because they felt it wasn't their vocation. I give you my example, I have been searching for the orders that accept older women and quite frankly, I got tired of seeing the same names or when I did inquire I didn't hear back from them.

Sr. Joseph Andrew of the SMME is a friend of mine and she suggested a cloistered domincan order in Buffalo. I have been contact with them and even though I am over their age limit, they will consider me because they are looking to see if I have a vocation to a prayer and other aspect of the cloister life.

Now I hadn't thought about the Dominicans in my life because they are few and far between in Canada and also I didn't have a good opinion of the them in the past. But now I am looking at their charism and I say "hey not bad. A possible fit after all these years"

Yes, I believe we should support each other in our walk and yes if God is calling you to start an order then great. I happen to know of two women who are starting an order and they like myself are older. However, I think we can get so focussed on "getting in " that we neglect the our own personal spirituality. This is what I would like to talk about as well, what charism attracts you?

So what if the order accepts older vocations if you aren't attracted to the charism of the order. I know the Poor Clares accepts older vocations but I have no attraction to the Franciscan spirituality.

So why not talk about our charism because you never know someone may know of a group that fits. That is what I met by my post and maybe Poll isn't the correct word but why not talk about what attracts you!!!

Cheers,

DM

As was posted on another thread, it appears that the Community of St. Jean will be opening a branch of the active sisters in the US. It should be noted with this community the Active sisters have no age limit but the cloister do.

Some friends of mine who are now Little Sisters of the Poor told me about them appearing "Life on the Rock" on EWTN about a year back. I was able to watch show via the internet since I don't receive EWTN. I wrote to the sister and we did correspond a little but it was very slow.

Cheers,

DM

[url="http://www.geocities.com/nuntobe/over_45.htm"]A List of Communities Which Consider Women Age 45+[/url]

Here ya go opher!!! :)

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Sep 7 2005, 12:58 PM'][url="http://www.geocities.com/nuntobe/over_45.htm"]A List of Communities Which Consider Women Age 45+[/url]
Here ya go opher!!!  :)
[right][snapback]714475[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

THANK YOU.

I have just been informed that the "Panhandle Franciscans" discern with each woman on a case by case basis. I have checked out their website and they have a great apostolate.

Their site can be reached at panhandlefranciscans.org

• 1 month later...

Hello.

It seems that this thread hasn't been too active but I want to say that I am visiting the Domincian Nuns in Buffalo during your week of Thanksgiving.

I hoping to meet the Council this time and maybe plan for an Aspirancy with them. I didn't think I could do an Aspriancy because there was no way I could afford to take this time away. I lifted up my vocation woes, financial and other woes to the Lord and asked Him if this is His will to open a door for me. I have tried but I can't do anymore.

Well, recently I was visiting the Madonna House Apostalate field house here in Ottawa and one of the staff members asked me about the Aspirancy. I asked why and then she told me that she approached one of the benefactors of the house and they could provide me with enough money so I could afford to go. I couldn't believe it and moreover, I know know I must continue to meet with these nuns. I believe is was very appropriate that I receive these alms from MadonnaHouse since I took this request to both our Blessed Mother and St. Joseph. Also I am awe a the generosity of the staff member because MadonnaHouse itself lives by donations.

So I am trying to take the time to prepare for this trip. It has been over 20yrs since I have been looking for my place and a door is opening. Yet, I think the real lesson here is for me to truly learn to trust, and surrender all to our Beloved.

Blessings,

DM