Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm builiding up quite a library here... but there's one thing that would absolutely MAKE IT or BREAK IT... one thing that I'm not sure I can live without getting into this library soon.

can you get... like... a 21 book set; with all the documents of all 21 ecumenical councils? preferably in hard cover? how expensive do you think that would be?

I'd seriously be willing to drop a couple hundred bucks on that.

Posted

I have the flimsy all-document Vatican II red book...

but I would like that VII book in my lib alot better if it were sitting next to the other 20. and then I would so read them ALL cover to cover... I probably wouldn't sleep or eat...

Posted (edited)

alas, you are far greater than me (big surprise, i know)

Edited by iggy
Posted
:P I didn't do it yet... get it right: i [b]WILL[/b] be far greater than you :P

I'm just going to organize all my searches for these things for sale

[url="http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2c7ChEiBNe&isbn=0895550741&itm=5"]Paperback Trent[/url]

[url="http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2c7ChEiBNe&isbn=0895550180&itm=6"]Dogmatic Stuff from Trent to Vatican I[/url]

[url="http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2c7ChEiBNe&isbn=057003213X&itm=8"]Exam of the Council of Trent- Hardcover[/url]

if you find any post the links here.
Posted

It is expensive, and that is why I don't own it.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0878404902/ref=pd_sxp_f/104-4139909-6847931?v=glance&s=books"]The Decrees of the Ecumenical Councils, by Norman P. Tanner[/url]

P.S. - Sadly the translation is somewhat affected by socalled "inclusive language."

Posted
:blink: woooah... so are they all in one book or are there 21 books? is it absolutely positively everything? I thought it'd end up even pricier than that... I'd be willing to buy that if it was EVERYTHING... :drool:
Posted

Here is a good website on the Ecumenical Councils:

[url="http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/8920/churchcouncils/"]Councils of the Church[/url]

Posted

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jun 25 2005, 11:54 PM']:blink: woooah... so are they all in one book or are there 21 books?  is it absolutely positively everything?  I thought it'd end up even pricier than that... I'd be willing to buy that if it was EVERYTHING... :drool:
[right][snapback]623988[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think it's a two volume series, but I'm not sure.

Posted

yeah, I saw another site like that once.

it's wierd I know... but I have to have it in print... it's just not the same online

[url="http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2c7ChEiBNe&isbn=0878404902&itm=1"]http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...878404902&itm=1[/url]

I have a member card at barnes n noble AND a coupon for an extra $5 off my next online purchase... so I might be getting it here :cool:

Posted

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jun 26 2005, 12:01 AM']it's wierd I know... but I have to have it in print... it's just not the same online
[right][snapback]623991[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I prefer books as well.

Posted

The member price at BN.com is a little better than the sale price at Amazon.com.

:)

Posted

You might go to your local library, or to a university library near you, in order to look through the book and see if it is worth purchasing. Because it is rather expensive.

Posted

shouldn't I just take the word of "Mike, doctrinal student of theology" on the Barnes N Noble site? :cool: lol

I could get my Barnes N Noble order it in for me, they don't require you to actually buy it cause if you don't buy it it just goes on their shelves

Posted

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jun 26 2005, 12:32 AM']shouldn't I just take the word of "Mike, doctrinal student of theology" on the Barnes N Noble site?  :cool: lol

I could get my Barnes N Noble order it in for me, they don't require you to actually buy it cause if you don't buy it it just goes on their shelves
[right][snapback]624003[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
LOL, certainly you can trust Mike if you want to.

The only reason I personally would try and look through the book before buying it, is because I have heard that the translator used "inclusive language." I have a major aversion to so-called "gender neutral" language, which I see as a form of English that is motivated by a non-Christian anthropology.

Posted

yeah that's true. however, I can stand it so long as it doesn't get in the way of meaning.

even the new translation of the Mass, for instance, will say in the Gloria "peace to his PEOPLE on earth"... now.. while I prefer men and think it would be much superior, I can stand "people"

"him or her" "his/her" "he/she" or the most infamously ugly of all "(s)he" cause me to go into convulsions.

Posted

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jun 26 2005, 01:11 AM']yeah that's true.  however, I can stand it so long as it doesn't get in the way of meaning. 

even the new translation of the Mass, for instance, will say in the Gloria "peace to his PEOPLE on earth"... now.. while I prefer men and think it would be much superior, I can stand "people"

"him or her" "his/her" "he/she" or the most infamously ugly of all "(s)he" cause me to go into convulsions.
[right][snapback]624027[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, that's why I would want to look at it first, because I might be able to ignore it if it there isn't a dramatic amount of it.

That being said, the book does contain the original language on the other page, so that too might make it worth the purchase.

Posted

woah.... that is awesome... learn Greek and Latin while I learn about every single Council this great Church has ever come up with... wow

what better way to learn Latin/Greek than the way people always did it before... in the bosom of the Church!

Posted

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jun 26 2005, 01:40 AM']woah.... that is awesome... learn Greek and Latin while I learn about every single Council this great Church has ever come up with... wow

what better way to learn Latin/Greek than the way people always did it before... in the bosom of the Church!
[right][snapback]624036[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well it certainly would be nice to have the doctrinal formulations in their original language.

:D

Posted

oh my goodness... I have to wake up my mom and get her to give me her credit card... I'll write her a check

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...