An Old School Catholic Message Board

veiling and canon law

Aloysius

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jul 1 2005, 09:06 PM']The Bishops pray all the time with their miters on.
[right][snapback]629759[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I didn't know that your bishop wears his miter while praying the Eucharistic prayer.

Guest Eremite

[quote]Which Western Church had men "pray" with their head covered.[/quote]

This has nothing to do with the discussion. The question is not where, in fact, the mores of the people permitted covered heads. Rather, the question is that the Church allowed it at all, since St. Paul makes no exceptions. The Church is Catholic, not fundamentalist. The disciplines of St. Paul are not part of the deposit of faith.

[quote] I don't accept your assumption that the word "assisting" is identical to the word "praying."[/quote]

The ordinary "assistance" of the faithful consists in the responsorial acclamations (eg, "et cum spiritu tuo", "Amen", etc). The entire Mass is a prayer, and the faithful take part in it. Their assistance is part of their prayer, for "the Holy Mass is a prayer itself, even the highest prayer that exists" (St. Pius X).

Guest Eremite

[quote]I didn't know that your bishop wears his miter while praying the Eucharistic prayer. [/quote]

St. Paul does not call it a dishonor "when you're celebrating the Eucharist". He calls it a dishonor to pray, period, with head covered. If a Bishop is outside with his people, and has his miter on, and utters an impromptu prayer, he is dishonoring his head, according to the Revised Fundamentalist Version of Scripture.

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jul 1 2005, 09:14 PM']The ordinary "assistance" of the faithful consists in the responsorial acclamations (eg, "et cum spiritu tuo", "Amen", etc). The entire Mass is a prayer, and the faithful take part in it. Their assistance is part of their prayer, for "the Holy Mass is a prayer itself, even the highest prayer that exists" (St. Pius X).
[right][snapback]629767[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well of course life itself is a prayer, but I don't think that is what canon law is talking about.

Requiring that the priest or other minister wear a specific garment as a sign of his office during a particular service is not the same as totally nullifying a practice of the Church that is founded upon divine revelation.

Nowhere has the Magisterium issued a document positively ending the practice of women covering their heads while praying. If you can supply such a document I will concede to you that the Roman Rite has authoritatively broken an Apostolic Tradition through the issuance of an indult (as it did once before when it allowed women to serve at the altar), but so far you have only given your opinion of what the scriptural text means and what the Church has commanded.

Guest Eremite

Of course the Church hasn't ended the practice of veiled heads. Any woman can veil herself as she sees fit. What the Church HAS done is remove any legal requirement to do so.

Your selectively fundamentalist reading of St. Paul does not bear up under logical scrutiny. Nowhere does St. Paul mention praying in a Church. Taking his injunction at its word-for-word value, he forbids women to pray at all unless their head is covered.

Since there is no ecclesiastical requirement for women to wear a veil, then you are left with appeal to the exhortation of St. Paul. As I've pointed out, however, your appeal is selective and exegetically inconsistent. You limit the necessity of veils to Church, and yet St. Paul makes no such distinction. You have no recourse to ecclesiastical law, because it has been abrogated with the introduction of the Code of 1983. Thus, your case stands on shoddy foundation.

Time for me to go to bed. I think I've said all I can say on this topic, without going in circles. :D

I still await your copy of the indult permitting the new practice during the liturgy.

God bless, and sleep well,
Todd