An Old School Catholic Message Board

doctrine on mortal sin

jezic

I am wondering a lot about specifically how the church defines a soul in the state of mortal sin. Like it has been said they are dead to grace.

Anyone know where this doctrine is/etc?

i have questions once there is an answer and i get some time to read.

Edited by jezic

[quote name='CCC #1857']For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."[/quote]

[quote name='CCC #1858']Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: "Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother." The gravity of sins is more or less great: murder is graver than theft. One must also take into account who is wronged: violence against parents is in itself graver than violence against a stranger.[/quote]

[quote name='CCC #1859']Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God's law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.[/quote]

[quote name='CCC #1861']Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God's forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ's kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back. However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God.[/quote]

is a soul "dead to grace" when they are in mortal sin?

Grace can still act on a soul, correct?

Edited by jezic

IXpenguin21

When a person exists in the state of mortal sin, they have fallen away from their justified nature. they reject the grace they once posessed.

They can still receive graces, like through prayer, fasting, making sacrifices, serving others, attending the Mass (but not receiving the Eucharist), but they themselves do not exist in a state of grace.

To exist in a state of grace is our goal on this Earth. It is the only way to get to heaven.

[quote name='jezic' date='Jun 28 2005, 07:29 PM']is a soul "dead to grace" when they are in mortal sin?

Grace can still act on a soul, correct?
[right][snapback]626952[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
In the Latin Catholic tradition, when a person commits a mortal sin he is no longer in a state of grace, i.e., he no longer has habitual or sanctifying grace in his soul. But he can still receive actual graces, including the grace of conversion.

My question:

To I understand correctly that a state of mortal sin can be reached wihtout realization of the pending eternal consequences? Or does knowledge of the consequences fall under the 'full knowledge' clause?

The three elements of mortal sin:

Grave Matter
Full Knowledge
Deliberate consent

Also, is the CCC part of the infailible teachings of the church?

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jun 29 2005, 11:11 AM']My question:

To I understand correctly that a state of mortal sin can be reached wihtout realization of the pending eternal consequences?  Or does knowledge of the consequences fall under the 'full knowledge' clause?

Grave Matter
Full Knowledge
Deliberate consent

[right][snapback]627281[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The Catechism is part of the infallbile magisterium of the Church. While the book itself can contain typographic errors, the truths contained therewithin are not in error.
[quote name='Fidei Depositum #3']The Catechism of the Catholic Church, which I approved 25 June last and the publication of which I today order by virtue of my Apostolic Authority, is a statement of the Church's faith and of catholic doctrine, attested to or illumined by Sacred Scripture, the Apostolic Tradition and the Church's Magisterium. I declare it to be a sure norm for teaching the faith and thus a valid and legitimate instrument for ecclesial communion.[/quote]

My earlier post speaks to the understanding of knowledge exactly. Look to CCC #1859.

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jun 29 2005, 08:11 AM']My question:

To I understand correctly that a state of mortal sin can be reached wihtout realization of the pending eternal consequences?  Or does knowledge of the consequences fall under the 'full knowledge' clause?

Grave Matter
Full Knowledge
Deliberate consent

[right][snapback]627281[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think that the "full knowledge" referred to in relation to mortal sin is centered on the recognition of the sinful character of the act in question, and of its direct opposition to God's law.

As far as the [u]Catechism of the Catholic Church[/u] is concerned, it is not [i]per se[/i] an infallible act of the Magisterium, but it does contain teachings that have already been infallibly defined or declared.

i understand the three conditions for a sin to be mortal. I am just trying to understand how the whole idea works.

what does sanctifying grace do that actual grace doesn't?

[quote name='jezic' date='Jun 29 2005, 08:29 AM']i understand the three conditions for a sin to be mortal. I am just trying to understand how the whole idea works.

what does sanctifying grace do that actual grace doesn't?
[right][snapback]627289[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sanctifying grace is a habitual state of existence, and as such it involves living continuously in God's charity, while actual graces are particular helps given by God.

Guest Eremite

Re: The Catechism

Pope Benedict XVI explains its authority:

[quote]This brings us to the question already mentioned before, regarding the authority of the Catechism. In order to find the answer, let us first consider a bit more closely its juridical character. We could express it in this way: analogously to the new Code of Canon Law, the Catechism is de facto a collegial work; canonically, it falls under the special jurisdiction of the Pope, inasmuch as it was authorized for the whole Christian world by the Holy Father in virtue of the supreme teaching authority invested in him. . . .

This does not mean that the catechism is a sort of super-dogma, as its opponents would like to insinuate in order to cast suspicion on its as a danger to the liberty of theology. What significance the Catechism really holds for the common exercise of teaching in the Church may be learned by reading the Apostolic Constitution Fidei depositum, with which the Pope promulgated it on October 11, 1992--exactly thirty years after the opening of the Second Vatican Council: "I acknowledge it [the Catechism] as a valid and legitimate tool in the service of ecclesiastical communion, as a sure norm for instruction in the faith."

The individual doctrine which the Catechism presents receive no other weight than that which they already possess. The weight of the Catechism itself lies in the whole. Since it transmits what the Church teaches, whoever rejects it as a whole separates himself beyond question from the faith and teaching of the Church

"Introduction to the Catechism of the Catholic Church", pgs. 25-27[/quote]

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 29 2005, 10:18 AM'][snip]

My earlier post speaks to the understanding of knowledge exactly.  Look to CCC #1859.
[right][snapback]627282[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, did have a look at it... and if I understand correctly, you need to know that it is a sin, it is in opposition of God's law and also includes consent.

But nothing to consequence... IE: you do not need to know that this sin will (or may) dam you to hell forever in order for the sin to be mortal. Hence, the ultimate consequence (to the sinner) towards mortal sin does not need to be known.

Thus, it would be a reasonable assumption that some sinners have placed themselves in a state of fallen grace wihout realilzing it? Knowing that they have done grave sin, but not knowing they are dammed for their actions and choice and consent thereof...

[quote]As far as the Catechism of the Catholic Church is concerned, it is not per se an infallible act of the Magisterium, but it does contain teachings that have already been infallibly defined or declared.[/quote]

I beg to differ. Look not only to Apostolic Consititution Fidei Depositum, but also to the Apostolic Letter Laetamur Magnopere.

It is clear from this writing that it is part of the definitive Magisterial teaching.

[quote name='Laetamur Magnopere']With today's promulgation of the Latin typical edition, therefore, the task of composing the Catechism, begun in 1986, is brought to a close and the desire of the aforementioned Extraordinary Synod of Bishops is happily fulfilled. The Church now has at her disposal this new, authoritative exposition of the one and perennial apostolic faith, and it will serve as a "valid and legitimate instrument for ecclesial communion" and as a "sure norm for teaching the faith," as well as a "sure and authentic reference text" for preparing local catechisms (cf. Apostolic Constitution Fidei Depositum, no. 4).[/quote]

[quote name='Laetamur Magnopere']Drawn up by the special Commission of Cardinals and Bishops established in 1986, the Catechism was approved and promulgated by me in the aforementioned Apostolic Constitution, which today retains all its validity and timeliness, and finds its definitive achievement in this Latin typical edition.[/quote]

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jun 29 2005, 08:36 AM']But nothing to consequence... IE: you do not need to know that this sin will (or may) dam you to hell forever in order for the sin to be mortal.  Hence, the ultimate consequence (to the sinner) towards mortal sin does not need to be known.

Thus, it would be a reasonable assumption that some sinners have placed themselves in a state of fallen grace wihout realilzing it?  Knowing that they have done grave sin, but not knowing they are dammed for their actions and choice and consent thereof...
[right][snapback]627294[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
As I understand the doctrine of the Church on this issue, the person does not have to know the consequences of their action. Thus, grave matter, full knowledge (of the sinful character of the action), and deliberate consent, are all that is necessary for a sin to be mortal.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 29 2005, 08:38 AM']I beg to differ.  Look not only to Apostolic Consititution Fidei Depositum, but also to the Apostolic Letter Laetamur Magnopere.

It is clear from this writing that it is part of the definitive Magisterial teaching.
[right][snapback]627295[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The Catechism is no more infallible in itself, than the [u]Code of Canon Law[/u] is, both of them are acts of the Pope's Authentic Magisterium.

Of course many of the dogmas and doctrines contained in the Catechism are infallible, but they are infallible because of prior definitions or declarations by either the Pope alone, or by the Pope and the whole Episcopal College.