An Old School Catholic Message Board

a Hebrew rite

photosynthesis

photosynthesis

There's an organization called the [url="http://hebrewcatholic.org/"]Association of Hebrew Catholics[/url], for Jews who have "completed" to Catholicism. It seems like they are trying to start a Hebrew Rite of Catholicism.

your thoughts?

Guest Eremite

I'm a little bit familiar with them.

They understand that rites don't just appear out of thin air. Rites develop from communities. There couldn't be a Hebrew rite unless it developed organically from a Hebrew community.

I think it would be a great idea to establish a sui iuris Hebrew Catholic Church. It would aid greatly in helping Jews see that becoming Catholic is not a renunciation of their Jewish heritage, but its fulfillment. And they don't need to give up their cultural traditions, anymore than Byzantine Catholics do.

The establishment of such a Church might also have eschatological significance, in that we know a massive conversion of the Hebrew peoples will precede the parousia.

And also, a Hebrew Catholic Church would have a special mission of dialogue with their brothers in the flesh of Abraham.

Guest Eremite

Self governing.

The Catholic Church is a communion of 22 "sui iuris", or "self governing", Churches. For example, there's the Roman Catholic Church, the Byzantine Catholic Church, the Ukranian Catholic Church, etc.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jun 29 2005, 04:35 PM']22?  that's a lot.
[right][snapback]627719[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, but it's also awesome. It shows the universality(sp?) of the Church.

The different Rites are(and also where they can be found primarily just because I think it's neat :lol: ):

Latin
Maronite(Found in Lebanon, Cyprus, Egypt, Syria, Israel, Canada, US, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Australia.)
Syriac(Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Egypt, Canada and the US.)
Malankarese(India and North America.)
Chaldean(Iraq, Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Turkey and the US.)
Syro-Malabarese(India)
Armenian-Byzantine(Armenia, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Turkey, Egypt, Greece, Ukraine, France, Romania, United States and Argentina)
Albanian-Byzantine(Albania)
Belarussian-Byzantine(Belarus, parts of Europe, the Americas and Australia.)
Bulgarian-Byzantine(Bulgarian)
Czech-Byzantines(Czech Republic)
Krizevci-Byzantine(Croatia and the Americas)
Greek-Byzantine(Greece, Turkey and Europe.
Hungarian-Byzantine(Hungary, Europe and the Americas.)
Italo-Albanian-Byzantine(Italy, Sicily and the Americas.)
Melkite-Byzantine(Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, Canada, US, Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina and Australia.)
Romanian-Byzantine(Romania, Europe and the Americas)
Russian-Byzantine(Russia, China, the Americas and Australia)
Ruthenian-Byzantine(Russia, Hungary, US and Croatia)
Slovak-Byzantine(Slovakia and Canada)
Ukrainian-Byzantine(Ukraine, Poland, England, Germany, France, Canada, US, Brazil, Argentina and Australia)
Coptic(Egypt, the Near East and some in the US)
Ethiopian/Abyssinian(Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, and Jerusalem.)

You can go [url="http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/catholic_rites_and_churches.htm"]here [/url] for the list, with some added information(when the different Churches reunited with Rome, etc) Interesting stuff. :D

Guest JeffCR07

oh, and I agree with Eremite. Rites of the Church are not inventions of the laity. If this group of people lives and worships together, and if they continue to grow, then when the time is right they could potentially ask their local bishop (and I would assume Rome) to become a church in themselves. I am not sure what they would do concerning the Divine Liturgy.

As a Byzantine Catholic I hold that the Rite of St. James, which is the foundation of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, is the already existing "Hebrew" rite within the Church.

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jun 30 2005, 01:02 AM']As a Byzantine Catholic I hold that the Rite of St. James, which is the foundation of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, is the already existing  "Hebrew" rite within the Church.
[right][snapback]628057[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ooh, good call

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jun 30 2005, 02:01 PM']What's the Rite of St. James like?
[right][snapback]628422[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, if its anything like Apotheouns posts, then I would assume its pretty awesome.

the liturgy was composed by St. james...just like the greek orthodox was composed by john chrysostum, i think...