An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Moment of Death

Semperviva

[i]The Moment of Death (In articulo mortis)
To the faithful in danger of death, who cannot be assisted by a priest to bring them the sacraments and impart the Apostolic Blessing with its plenary indulgence (see Canon 530 ß 3 of Code of Canon Law), [b]Holy Mother Church nevertheless grants a [B]plenary indulgence[/b] to be acquired at the point of death, provided they are properly disposed and have been in the habit of reciting some prayers during their lifetime. [/B]The use of a crucifix or a cross to gain this indulgence is praiseworthy.

[b]The condition: provided they have been in the habit of reciting some prayers during their lifetime supplies in such cases for the three usual conditions required for the gaining of a plenary indulgence. [/b]

The above grant is taken from the [1967] Apostolic Constitution The Doctrine of Indulgences, Norm 18. [/i]

Just thought the above indulgence is[i] amaaaazing[/i]!!!!!!!!!! The [i]one[/i] condition supplies for the usual conditions...and given the above, it seems that no-one need ever go to purgatory. I'm not saying no-one goes to purgatory btw ;)

let_go_let_God

That's pretty interesting, but I only have a vauge idea of what of an indulgence is, could someone inlighten me please?

God bless-
LGLG

Semperviva

[quote name='let_go_let_God' date='Jun 30 2005, 10:09 PM']That's pretty interesting, but I only have a vauge idea of what of an indulgence is, could someone inlighten me please?

God bless-
LGLG
[right][snapback]629101[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Plenary Indulgence - General Conditions

The following "General remarks on Indulgences" from Gift of the Indulgence summarizes the usual conditions given in the Church's law (cf. Apostolic Penitentiary, Prot. N. 39/05/I):
1. This is how an indulgence is defined in the Code of Canon Law (can. 992) and in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (n. 1471): "An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven, which the faithful Christian who is duly disposed gains under certain prescribed conditions through the action of the Church which, as the minister of redemption, dispenses and applies with authority the treasury of the satisfactions of Christ and the saints".

2. In general, the gaining of indulgences requires certain prescribed conditions (below, nn. 3, 4), and the performance of certain prescribed works ..... [in this case, those granted for the Feast of Mercy]

3. To gain indulgences, whether plenary or partial, it is necessary that the faithful be in the state of grace at least at the time the indulgenced work is completed. [i.e. one must be a Catholic, not excommunicated or in schism.]

4. A plenary indulgence can be gained only once a day. In order to obtain it, the faithful must, in addition to being in the state of grace:

—have the interior disposition of complete detachment from sin, even venial sin;

—have sacramentally confessed their sins;

—receive the Holy Eucharist (it is certainly better to receive it while participating in Holy Mass, but for the indulgence only Holy Communion is required);

—pray for the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff.

5. It is appropriate, but not necessary, that the sacramental Confession and especially Holy Communion and the prayer for the Pope's intentions take place on the same day that the indulgenced work is performed; but it is sufficient that these sacred rites and prayers be carried out within several days (about 20) before or after the indulgenced act. Prayer for the Pope's intentions is left to the choice of the faithful, but an "Our Father" and a "Hail Mary" are suggested. One sacramental Confession suffices for several plenary indulgences, but a separate Holy Communion and a separate prayer for the Holy Father's intentions are required for each plenary indulgence.

6. For the sake of those legitimately impeded, confessors can commute both the work prescribed and the conditions required (except, obviously, detachment from even venial sin).

7. Indulgences can always be applied either to oneself or to the souls of the deceased, but they cannot be applied to other persons living on earth.

........so that's the amazing thing about the indulgence given at the moment of death, its like its so lenient that the Church.......and God :D ... obviously [i]really want everyone to go to Heaven!!!!![/i] lol

[quote]........so that's the amazing thing about the indulgence given at the moment of death, its like its so lenient that the Church.......and God  ... obviously really want everyone to go to Heaven!!!!! lol[/quote]

Of course, that is why God created us!!!!!

(1) The Catholic teaching on indulgences is indeed an interesting one and has an colorful history. The Church developed the position that in addition to the eternal punishment due to sin which could be forgiven through the sacrament of Penance, a temporal punishment also existed and a “satisfaction” had to be made. It is noteworthy that when Jesus is described in the New Testament as forgiving sins, he never mentioned any temporal punishment or assigned a “penance.”

(2) But the Church did and if not satisfied on earth, this temporal punishment was to be satisfied in “Purgatory,” a theological creation like Limbo.

(3) Originally developed about the eleventh century, the concept of receiving an “indulgence” or remission from the Church in whole (plenary indulgence) or in part (partial indulgence) for the temporal punishment due sin was introduced. This was possible because the Church, “by means of Indulgences, remits the temporal punishment due to sin by applying to us the merits of Jesus Christ, and the superabundant satisfactions of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of the saints; which merits and satisfactions are in its spiritual treasury.” Note the emphasis on accounting!

(4) Starting in the fourteenth there was a substitution of money gifts for works of charity and prayers necessary to gain Indulgences.

LittleLes

to be continued........

(1) Pope Leo X (1513-1521) was faced with a serious economic problem in obtaining funds to reconstruct St. Peter’s Cathedral in Rome. Cardinal Pucci, his advisor, came up with a what seemed like a good idea. In short, it would be possible to convert the “spiritual treasury” of the Church to hard cash by simply selling Indulgences.

(2) A Dominican friar, Johann Tetzel, became the chief Indulgence broker for the Church. Tetzel told the laity in a sermon that “You should know that all who confess and in penance put alms into the coffer according to the counsel of the confessor, will obtain complete remission of all their sins.”

(3) This abuse was one of the causes which led to the Protestant reformation. In fact, Luther’s famous Ninety-Five Theses nailed to the door of the Wittenberg Church complained of the selling of indulgences. Erasmus, in his “Praise of Folly” complained “The Court of Rome has lost all sense of shame. I see that the very height of tyranny has been reached. The Pope and Kings count the people not as men, but as cattle in the market!”

(4) Later the practice of selling indulgences was discontinued and a certain number of days (or penance) was assigned to the saying of certain prayers. Again, note the accountant mentality.

(5) Later still, Paul VI in his encyclical Indulgentarium Doctrina dropped the days assignment to Indulgences

LittleLes

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 2 2005, 06:14 AM']Again, note the accountant mentality.
[right][snapback]629923[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It' is the snide comments like this that alienate you from the people at this board.

[quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' date='Jul 2 2005, 09:43 AM']It' is the snide comments like this that alienate you from the people at this board.
[right][snapback]629958[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

It is important that data be correct. Not that it be popular. ;)

Semperviva

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 2 2005, 10:32 AM']RESPONSE:

It is important that data be correct. Not that it be popular. ;)
[right][snapback]629971[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
HAHAHA littleles is annoyingly cute...aaaaw (Semperviva pinches littleles' cheek)...HAHAHA...yesyes we all know selling indulgences was bad bad bad, andiamo, let's just move along, mmmkay?

(1) Pope Leo X (1513-1521) was faced with a serious economic problem in obtaining funds to reconstruct St. Peter’s Cathedral in Rome. Cardinal Pucci, his advisor, came up with a what seemed like a good idea. In short, it would be possible to convert the “spiritual treasury” of the Church to hard cash by simply selling Indulgences.

(2) "Moreover, I adhere with religious submission of will and intellect to the teachings which either the Roman Pontiff or the College of Bishop enunciate when they exercise their authentic Magisterium, even if they do not intend to proclaim these teachings by a definitive act."

Since the granting of indulgences involved a doctrine and Pope Leo authorized selling them, do Catholics have to "adhere with religious submission of will and intellect" to that practice? :D