An Old School Catholic Message Board

Inclusion of Revelation in the Bible

Snowcatpa

[color=purple] Hey all, I was talking with a Protestant neighbor of mine about what books different Bibles included and she was dead convinced that Catholics didn't have the Book of Revelation in their Bible. Apparently her brother and his wife, not sure if they're Catholic or not, told her that.

I mentioned that we definitely did have Revelation and that, to the best of my knowledge, the Catholic Bible has stayed pretty much the same book-wise since it was compiled. She was very hestitant to believe me, however. She thinks that if we do now have Revelation, we just added it back recently.

Does anyone know any information on how this rumor got started? Or what information I can give her to convince her? If I'm wrong please set me straight too!

Thanks! :) [/color]

Semperviva

In the early church, before the Canon was established, there were many different Apocalypses written. Those were def. excluded from the NT, except John's ah course. :D (yeay John)

The canon of Scripture has not changed since it was first compiled around 400 BC. (date may be off a bit.) The Church (Catholic) did that as she had every right to since the Holy Bible belongs to her. What we call "Apocolypse", is often referred to as "Revelations" (same book though.)

Protestants removed 7 books in the 1500's. And yes, some Protestant Bibles have been printed without Revelations.

Guest Eremite

The book of Revelation was disputed in the early Church, but was eventually received into the Canon.

From the Council of Trent:

[quote]Of the New Testament, the four Gospels, according to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John; the Acts of the Apostles written by Luke the Evangelist; fourteen Epistles of Paul the Apostle, to the Romans, two to the Corinthians, to the Galatians, to the Ephesians, to the Philippians, to the Colossians, two to the Thessalonians, two to Timothy, to Titus, to Philemon, to the Hebrews; two of Peter the Apostle, three of John the Apostle, one of James the Apostle, one of Jude the Apostle, [b]and the Apocalypse of John the Apostle[/b].[/quote]

"Apocalypse" simply means "unveiling".

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jul 2 2005, 12:19 PM']The book of Revelation was disputed in the early Church, but was eventually received into the Canon.
[right][snapback]629988[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, hehe, silly guys probably thought some would read it incorrectly.

Oh, wait!