An Old School Catholic Message Board

If...

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

If I started a race around the world today and made it back to the same point I am standing at right now in one year, have I really gone anywhere?

*looks confused and tries to focus*

lol too early in the morning for me to even try this question

Thy Geekdom Come

Well, there are different ways to answer, but if you're looking at it philosophically, you can never return to the same position. First, the earth moves in space, so on a universal grid, it's highly unlikely that that spot on the earth would ever line up with that spot in space again. Further, the earth changes, so the location changes. Moreover, there's the issue of time, which would have changed. :P

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jul 7 2005, 10:00 AM']Well, there are different ways to answer, but if you're looking at it philosophically, you can never return to the same position.  First, the earth moves in space, so on a universal grid, it's highly unlikely that that spot on the earth would ever line up with that spot in space again.  Further, the earth changes, so the location changes.  Moreover, there's the issue of time, which would have changed. :P
[right][snapback]634228[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:huh:

Yeah what he said

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jul 7 2005, 11:02 AM']Umm, that sounds like mathematics to me.  :P
[right][snapback]634231[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Math is born of philosophy. ;)

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 7 2005, 11:02 AM']But geometrically would have I moved?
[right][snapback]634233[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, you would have moved, but no, you couldn't return to the same spot.

The most important thing, however, is that if I raced against you, I would win. :P

Brother Adam

Discounting the space travel and time stuff, in distance, would have I moved?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 7 2005, 11:06 AM']Discounting the space travel and time stuff, in distance, would have I moved?
[right][snapback]634239[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Depends on how you measure. If you consider "movement" to be total change in position, you would come out even, so no. If you consider it to be the absolute value of a graph of your motion, then yes, you did.

[quote name='Carrie' date='Jul 7 2005, 10:14 AM']:blink:

I think I need at least 3 or 4 more coffees before I can even begin to think about this thread.
[right][snapback]634256[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

my thoughts exactly lol

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 7 2005, 09:48 AM']If I started a race around the world today and made it back to the same point I am standing at right now in one year, have I really gone anywhere?
[right][snapback]634215[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Boy you have a lot of free time on your hands this morning...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 7 2005, 12:37 PM']Boy you have a lot of free time on your hands this morning...
[right][snapback]634299[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, he should go do the dishes. :P