An Old School Catholic Message Board

Alright...

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

How about a more serious debate.

If a person is in a state of mortal sin, should they even bother continuing to pray and attend mass until they go to confession? Would God hear them?

Yes, but you never know. :)

We are required by Divine Law to attend Mass, so it would be pointless (and hurtful) for me to stop attending.

Edited by qfnol31

Thy Geekdom Come

Would God hear them...probably not.

Would God guide them back to the Church? Hopefully.

People fall and come back all the time...God has to be moving in all that is good, so repentence is prompted by God (and repentence is our response to His stimulus)...I would say that God would use it to help bring us to repentence.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 7 2005, 11:49 AM']More specifically what about prayer?
[right][snapback]634329[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Whether God hears our prayers or not, we do. Sometimes when we listen to what we're saying in our prayers, we realize things about ourselves and seek to be closer to Christ...thus, repentence.

Fidei Defensor

God "hears" our prayers always because he is God. But he does not necesarily "answer" them when we are in the state of mortal sin, unless it will cause us to return to the state of grace..
Or just my guess.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 7 2005, 10:43 AM']How about a more serious debate.
If a person is in a state of mortal sin, should they even bother continuing to pray and attend mass until they go to confession? Would God hear them?
[right][snapback]634308[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
if that is the case then what about people who fall into mortal sin who are not Catholic? With one mortal sin would that mean they were damned to hell? I believe God always hears you when you pray .