An Old School Catholic Message Board

It seems like most christians have had

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

Those who have had everything handed to them are more likely to not believe in god. Could this be a human psychological thing? We have hope that there is a god so we find reason to continue living.

Thy Geekdom Come

We come to God through the cross. Only in realizing how weak we are...and yet still surviving...can we see God's work in us.

Brother Adam

Those who have material things take those things and replace God with those things. They see no need for God, which is why it is harder for a rich man to enter heaven than a camel to go through the eye of a needle.

roseograce

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Jul 8 2005, 05:42 PM'] Could this be a human psychological thing? We have hope that there is a god so we find reason to continue living.
[right][snapback]636396[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's funny; I would almost look at it from the opposite viewpoint: if we know that there is a God, we won't be as afraid of death as those who deny him and cling to life as if there isn't an eternal one.

Although, I do see your point. :)

I defy anyone to find a person from scripture, who did what God asked of him/her and didn't go through hell.

lifeteenchick527

u have to be able to see the need for God, if u have to many material things then u dont see that u need God b/c u think u can do it all on ur own :(
everyone NEEDS GOD!!

God Bless
LTC :hearts:

Apparently part of the reason people don't pray to St. Louis de Montfort too much is that he tends to reward people with Crosses.

Isn't this addressed by the last Beatitude?

Even people who have material things find that they fail to bring true or lasting happiness. Happiness is different than being annoyed by the things in life. The only people who don't have 'problems or annoyances' are dead people.

People who admit the reality of the circumstances are the ones who tell you it's rough to find peace and happiness in this world, but it's always available when we have God's perspective.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jul 8 2005, 05:51 PM']I defy anyone to find a person from scripture, who did what God asked of him/her and didn't go through hell.
[right][snapback]636451[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You mean figuratively, right?

roseograce

I'm pretty sure that was meant figuratively. ;)

[quote name=' jas Jis']Even people who have material things find that they fail to bring true or lasting happiness. Happiness is different than being annoyed by the things in life. The only people who don't have 'problems or annoyances' are dead people.

People who admit the reality of the circumstances are the ones who tell you it's rough to find peace and happiness in this world, but it's always available when we have God's perspective. [/quote]

Exactly! I know a priest who describes union in a similar way. I'm paraphrasing here, but he says that when he was first experiencing union, he thought he was crazy. No one liked him or needed him....he didn't really have any friends, and yet he was [i]happy[/i] about it all. He was content because he was totally immersed in God's love; he was able to look at things from God's perspective, which is always joy and love.

Thats because true happiness can only come from God.
Because God is true love.

Anything else is a shadow of the truth, a shadow of the reality that is God.

WOW! God is soooooo awesome.