An Old School Catholic Message Board

Requiem Mass...

Semperviva

Semperviva

My aunt died yesterday morning.
Her children have decided to have a "memorial service"...
no funeral mass....
(although i have no idea what this memorial consists of)

what is the Church perspective on not having a christian burial....????? She did receive last rites so there was that at least.......

(Benilda D'Agostino-Romanello, please say a prayer for too)

lifeteenchick527

*prayers*

um... iam not exactly sure... i know that they definately recomend a Mass funeral... but i've been to "memorial services"...but the only reason they called it that was b/c the person was creamated (sry sp?) but there still was a mass and all...

God Bless
LTC :hearts:

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 8 2005, 08:58 PM']My aunt died yesterday morning.
Her children have decided to have a "memorial service"...
no funeral mass....
(although i have no idea what this memorial consists of)

what is the Church perspective on not having a christian burial....????? She did receive last rites so there was that at least.......

(Benilda D'Agostino-Romanello, please say a prayer for too)
[right][snapback]636557[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

First off, I am sorry to hear about your aunt. I will remember her in my prayers.

Secondly, I assume that she was Catholic and in good standing, so there should be a funeral. But it is not mandatory. It is much like the Sacrament of Matrimony. It is desirable, but not mandatory. [b]We should not deprive the Catholic persons who are still living of the Mass.[/b] I feel passionately about this....

One can still go through the rites, without the Mass.

You can always ask for a mass to be said for her soul by your local priest. (Ask what the usual fee is. In most cases its $5-10) You can always remember her as your intentions when you go to mass. There are many ways to show your love and prayers for her without a formal requiem mass. The Requiem Mass is a lovely thing, but it is not neccessary.

peace...

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jul 8 2005, 09:04 PM']First off, I am sorry to hear about your aunt.  I will remember her in my prayers.

Secondly, I assume that she was Catholic and in good standing, so there should be a funeral.  But it is not mandatory.  It is much like the Sacrament of Matrimony.  It is desirable, but not mandatory.  [b]We should not deprive the Catholic persons who are still living of the Mass.[/b]  I feel passionately about this....

One can still go through the rites, without the Mass.
[right][snapback]636630[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i don't even think they are havin any kidnof rites said, no mass, no catholic rites, just a cremation and "service" of some kind...thanks fer the prayer everyone... if i have a mass said for her, will it have the same weight or spiritual grace as a funeral mass...

Edited by Semperviva

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 9 2005, 11:52 PM']i don't even think they are havin any kidnof rites said, no mass, no catholic rites, just a cremation and "service" of some kind...thanks fer the prayer everyone... if i have a mass said for her, will it have the same weight or spiritual grace as a funeral mass...
[right][snapback]638033[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, it doesn't have the same "weight." But it is a very laudable thing. Praise God that you will remember her in that way.

It is a sad situation, but there is nothing that is explictly says that one must go through the Rite of Christian Burial. The funeral Mass is not for the dead, but for the living. By the time that the funeral Mass is to take place, she is gone. Her soul has already undergone particular judgment and she is in one of the "big three."

As I said, the funeral is a commemoration of the person who has died. Receiving the Sacrament of the Sick was the most important part of the dying process.

I am sorry that you will not be able to attend a funeral, but know that the funeral Mass has no bearing on her soul. And that is a good thing. When I attend a funeral Mass, I think of that....it is very soothing.