An Old School Catholic Message Board

covered head for women

dairygirl4u2c

Does a women sin when she prays without covering her head?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

1 Corinthians 11:5
[quote]Every woman that prays or prophesizes with her head uncovered dishonours her head: for that is as if she were shaven. [/quote]

note, not an old testament rule..
explain what need's explainin'...
spanx

why doesn't anyone wear covers?

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

St. Paul does go on to say that each woman should choose for herself what she thinks is proper.

there are a few ways people explain this away, but I cannot see St. Paul making the choice the woman's as one really? where does St. Paul do that?

is it your interpretation of the obscure verse 10? "And for that reason the woman ought to have authority over her head, for the angels' sake." or are you trying to use verse 13 "Jude for yourselves; is it fitting that a woman should offer prayer to God unveiled?" when clearly he used that question rhetorically and answers a resounding "no" with the next verses.

Noel's angel

I thought it was meant that a womens 'glory' is her hair and that she should cover her head by having long hair...maybe I'm wrong

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jul 9 2005, 02:23 PM']:huh: not in so many words... how does he say that?
[right][snapback]637525[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was just pointing out that phrase because it makes for a funner discussion. :P

he does say not covering your head is just as bad as covering your hair off, he's using an analogy there. my translation uses the word "veil" instead of "cover" which gets across the meaning of what Paul wrote much better, for he was talking about veils

[quote]I was just pointing out that phrase because it makes for a funner discussion. :P[/quote]

... but where does that phrase come from? :huh: not from St. Paul... sorry just confused as to what you mean here, he never said that each woman should decide for herself... he said that the church of corrinth should judge for themselves rhetorically to set it up to say "see how obvious it is that women should veil their heads in church!"

Noel's angel

14Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

1 Corinthians 11:14-15

v a woman brings shame upon her head if she uncovers it to pray or prophesy; she is no better than the woman who has her head shaved [color=red](having your head shaved is thus different from uncovering it) [/color]vi If a woman would go without a veil, why does she not cut her hair short too? If she admits that a woman is disgraced when her hair is cut short or shaved, then let her go veiled.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c']why doesn't anyone wear covers?[/quote]
The discipline of veiling is not required by Church Law, though it is encouraged. In certain countries, Catholic women frequently use veils.

Looking at verse 16 in the same chapter of St. Paul's Letter to the Corinithians, I interpreted this to mean that veiling was advice and not a command.
[quote name='1 Cor 11:16']But if anyone is inclined to be argumentative, we do not have such a custom, nor do the churches of God.[/quote]