An Old School Catholic Message Board

doing things in God's name

bx_racer

what do they mean do everything in God's name? is it like don't sin or does it mean think about God every second. because some guy on this website says he "skates for God" but i dont really get that. he used that line of do everything in His name. am i just weird or what?

infinitelord1

[quote name='bx_racer' date='Jul 9 2005, 08:57 PM']what do they mean do everything in God's name? is it like don't sin or does it mean think about God every second. because some guy on this website says he "skates for God" but i dont really get that. he used that line of do everything in His name. am i just weird or what?
[right][snapback]637868[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i believe it is to simply do good and refrain from evil......no more......no less.

People need to think more about this as this term in used to often.
Doing everything is gods name in a pretty mad statement unless your a priest. You can try to do as much as you can in gods name...

If you send a church money you do so in gods name,
if you light a candle at church you do so in gods name,
if you help out free in a fair, church hall ect... again you do so in gods name.

However if you strap on 50 pounds of TNT and board a bus in London and blow up innocent people, or fly a plane into a tower killing more innocent people and yet they say they do so in gods name then that is how wars start over religion.

Its all about context..

infinitelord1

[quote name='TLJC' date='Jul 10 2005, 05:46 AM']People need to think more about this as this term in used to often.
Doing everything is gods name in a pretty mad statement unless your a priest. You can try to do as much as you can in gods name...

If you send a church money you do so in gods name,
if you light a candle at church you do so in gods name,
if you help out free in a fair, church hall ect...  again you do so in gods name.

However if you strap on 50 pounds of TNT and board a bus in London and blow up innocent people, or fly a plane into a tower killing more innocent people and yet they say they do so in gods name then that is how wars start over religion.
Its all about context..
[right][snapback]638224[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i dont think you even have to get specific about it........i believe atheists do something in gods name when they do a good act.......if u catch my drift.

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Jul 10 2005, 08:40 PM']i dont think you even have to get specific about it........i believe atheists do something in gods name when they do a good act.......if u catch my drift.
[right][snapback]638928[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

well yeah, i guess. but it sux to be atheist. you know i'm not saying atheists are necessarily bad people they can be pretty cool but i mean think about it. it smells of elderberries to not believe in God. u don't know ur purpose and u think u will end up nowhere when u die. i think everybody's gone through a phase in their life like that where you doubt God.

1 Corinthians 10:31
Colossians 3:17 23&24

I was raised with the saying OFFER IT UP. Which meant everything you do, do it well, give your best. Do it with love, literally offer it as a gift to God.

The little way of St. Therese (The Little Flower) gave everything she did to God no matter how small it seemed.

I think it also means to be aware of that as you work God is there with you. Brother Lawrence wrote a book called I think "Practicing the Presence of God." If I have the title wrong would someone PLEASE correct me.

don't think i'm being sarcastic i'm serious, does that involve like cleaning the dishes, listening to music, playing mad death metal, and going to the bathroom (alright maybe not going to the bathroom)

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 11 2005, 10:19 AM']1 Corinthians 10:31
Colossians 3:17  23&24

I was raised with the saying OFFER IT UP. Which meant everything you do, do it well, give your best. Do it with love, literally offer it as a gift to God.

The little way of St. Therese (The Little Flower) gave everything she did to God no matter how small it seemed.

I think it also means to be aware of that as you work God is there with you. Brother Lawrence wrote a book called I think "Practicing the Presence of God." If I have the title wrong would someone PLEASE correct me.
[right][snapback]639411[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

NOPE I don't think you are being sarcastic. I asked the same questions. Only my mother wasn't quite so understanding.

Is anyone still praying the Morning Offering?

Ok smartie :) ALMOST everything we do can be offered to God. Remember what Mother Theresa used to say "do little things with great love."

God is love that is "what He understands." When you are asked to do something and all you may do is grumble what value is there in it? You can't give it to God.

Love/sweetness/compassion/charity is what turns the tide in the world.
When we act like everyone else how can God use us? If we don't love he cannot recognize us.

Edited by ofpheritup

White Knight

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Jul 10 2005, 09:40 PM']i dont think you even have to get specific about it........i believe atheists do something in gods name when they do a good act.......if u catch my drift.
[right][snapback]638928[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, since atheists denine God completely, they can do no good for him. [b]PSALMS 14:1 and PSALMS 53:1[/b] both proof that scripture reference that is.

[b]PSALMS 14:1 "The fool has said in his heart his, 'There is No God.' They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, There is none who does good."

PSALMS 53:1 "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.' They are corrupt, and have done abominable iniguity; There is none who does good."[/b]

Both Verses litterially say the same extact thing.

Edited by White Knight