Aloysius Posted August 4, 2005 Posted August 4, 2005 actually, it is wrong to schedule them and use them every week. ultimately what Rome has in mind if you read what it says about them is the priest comes on some certain sunday, says "wow, there are way too many people, where are the extraordinary ministers of holy communion who have been permitted by the bishop to distribute?" to plan to use it each and every sunday goes directly against the clear intent Rome had in allowing this. The priest to person ratio is no worse now than it was when the Americas were first being colonized, and those priests didn't need any help distributing. It's supposed to be in extreme and extra-ordinary circumstances. planning to use them every sunday is the abuse of making them ordinary. if you really must plan to use another minister every sunday you should institute men to be acolytes in a stable ministry. anyway, not your fault though. I'm sure it was a great experience for you. however, on the rare occasion I receive from one of the overly (ordinarily) used extraordinary ministers of holy communion I will still receive on the tongue because I am completely unworthy of holding Christ in my hand and as much as possible only consecrated fingers should cradle the Precious Body.
bernadette d Posted March 16, 2012 Posted March 16, 2012 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1121320988' post='642890'] The EMCs that feel weird when distributing on the tongue shouldn't be EMCs in the first place. Sorry. Most churches could get rid of over half of their EMCs and still have too many anyway. They shouldn't be used except when neccesary. [/quote] I could not agree more. In England too there are too many. In our Diocese there is a good training program, but many EM's don't appear to realise the enormous privilege it is. (As witness the instance in the first post, none of the assigned ones turned up) I write as an EMHC since 1980!
Nihil Obstat Posted March 16, 2012 Posted March 16, 2012 I hope that within my lifetime the use of EMHCs completely stops.
bernadette d Posted March 16, 2012 Posted March 16, 2012 (edited) [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1331913686' post='2401833'] I hope that within my lifetime the use of EMHCs completely stops. [/quote] I agree with this sentiment, but here in England,at least, Priests are getting older and not being replaced In sufficient numbers.We need to pray unceasingly for more Priests. Meanwhile pray that the EMs become ever more mindful of the privilege which is theirs. Some of us are. Edited for typos (done on mobile!) Edited March 16, 2012 by bernadette d
Archaeology cat Posted March 16, 2012 Posted March 16, 2012 [quote name='bernadette d' timestamp='1331914768' post='2401842'] I agree with this sentiment, but here in England,at least, Priests are getting older and not being replaced I'm sufficient.numbers.We need to pray unceasingly for more Priests. Meanwhile pray that the EMs become ever more mindful of the privilege which is theirs. Some of us are. [/quote]Amen. My old parish is being closed due to the monastery having insufficient numbers to continue staffing it, and the diocese has insufficient priests. I try to remember to always pray for them.
Vincent Vega Posted March 16, 2012 Posted March 16, 2012 [quote name='bernadette d' timestamp='1331908645' post='2401796'] I could not agree more. In England too there are too many. In our Diocese there is a good training program, but many EM's don't appear to realise the enormous privilege it is. (As witness the instance in the first post, none of the assigned ones turned up) I write as an EMHC since 1980! [/quote] I do have to ask why you were compelled to bump this thread.
cmaD2006 Posted March 16, 2012 Posted March 16, 2012 Gruu where are you .... Yeah, this is almost a 7 yr old thread!
bernadette d Posted March 16, 2012 Posted March 16, 2012 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1331930782' post='2401956'] I do have to ask why you were compelled to bump this thread. [/quote] Did not notice the date
Vincent Vega Posted March 17, 2012 Posted March 17, 2012 Well where did you even find it? It obviously wasn't just hanging out on the front page.
bernadette d Posted March 17, 2012 Posted March 17, 2012 (edited) Not sure I like your tone much..............is there some rule about "straying" off the front page? Also is the subject any less relevant today than it was then? I don't "hang out" anywhere, your youth is showing. Edited March 17, 2012 by bernadette d
Vincent Vega Posted March 17, 2012 Posted March 17, 2012 [quote name='bernadette d' timestamp='1331980885' post='2402287'] Not sure I like your tone much..............is there some rule about "straying" off the front page? Also is the subject any less relevant today than it was then? I don't "hang out" anywhere, your youth is showing. [/quote] There's not a rule, no. Not a hard rule, anyway, but there is something bizarre about bumping a thread that hasn't been replied to in 7 years. Also, I wasn't taking a tone, just asking a question. Also also, a.) I didn't say you were hanging out. b.) forgive me for using colloquialisms that have been made popular within the past four decades(?).
Adrestia Posted March 17, 2012 Posted March 17, 2012 [quote name='bernadette d' timestamp='1331980885' post='2402287'] Not sure I like your tone much..............is there some rule about "straying" off the front page? Also is the subject any less relevant today than it was then? I don't "hang out" anywhere, your youth is showing. [/quote] Defensive much? I also thought it was weird to bump such an old thread, and I'm a bit older than the person who beat me to the question. Ad hominem not necessary.
bernadette d Posted March 17, 2012 Posted March 17, 2012 Weird.....bizarre........all for the simple oversight of not noticing the date on a post, oh dear.
Lil Red Posted March 18, 2012 Posted March 18, 2012 perhaps she did what we usually suggest to people "Go and look up all the threads on <insert topic here>, there's a ton"? give the gal a break. and bernadette, you are acting a little defensive
eagle_eye222001 Posted March 18, 2012 Posted March 18, 2012 This battlefield has enough casualties. I think we all basically agree. I don't see a [b]real [/b]disagreement in this thread. We all acknowledge the disciplines instituted by the Church, and we all recognize that there are some serious abuses of this practice. We need to pray for our priests and future priests that they may have the grace to adhere and teach this role properly.
bernadette d Posted March 18, 2012 Posted March 18, 2012 (edited) Yes, I can see I did appear defensive, sorry. I will certainly look VERY closely at dates on posts in future especially as the point of the message was obscured by the "bumping". Typo again, no good on phone! Edited March 18, 2012 by bernadette d
Nihil Obstat Posted March 18, 2012 Posted March 18, 2012 [quote name='bernadette d' timestamp='1332065465' post='2402929'] Yes, I can see I did appear defensive, sorry. I will certainly look VERY closely at dates on posts in future especially as the point of the message was obscured by the "bumping". Typo again, no good on phone! [/quote] My M.O. is to bump threads anyway if I feel like it, then mock the people who are somehow disturbed by it.
Aloysius Posted March 18, 2012 Posted March 18, 2012 (edited) lol I think you just bumped this to get me some well-deserved props from 2005, back before propping existed lol. btw, creeping in ancient phatmass threads is totally razzle dazzle, and when you feel like responding to something you usually just do it, oftentimes forgetting that you're deep in the catacombs of ancient phatmass... one never knows how one stumbles into these things, it just happens lol. like when you accidently find yourself in "that" part of youtube and you just scratch your head wondering why. such is life on the interwebz. Edited March 18, 2012 by Aloysius
bernadette d Posted March 18, 2012 Posted March 18, 2012 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1332086254' post='2402979'] My M.O. is to bump threads anyway if I feel like it, then mock the people who are somehow disturbed by it. [/quote] I'll remember that! But never again will I do iot inadvertently,
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now