An Old School Catholic Message Board

community of st. john's

jezic

I just went to a retreat called Eagle Eye. It is ran by the community. I was really impressed with the brothers and was wondering if any of you had thoughts about them/knew anything.

[quote name='jezic' date='Jul 11 2005, 11:55 AM']I just went to a retreat called Eagle Eye.  It is ran by the community. I was really impressed with the brothers and was wondering if any of you had thoughts about them/knew anything.
[right][snapback]639472[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hi! The Community of St. John was founded by Father Philippe, a Dominican. They've grown quickly and are a good, orthodox community.
Right now they are going through "growing pains". In France, I heard that many are transferring over to the DOminicans and there are 1 or 2 who did this in the US. Part of the problem is that once formation is finished they go to compus ministry and live in very small communities and don't have the monatic observances they had in formation. So, I guess this is a problem that needs to be addressed.

that is a problem that they are facing now??

hmm interesting.

Yes the stuff of the monastic formation is interesting. i was wondering if they continued the same practices after formation.... Shoulnd't they be doing that?

I met a girl whose brother was a member of that Order and he left. She was SSPX (as was her whole family), so I assumed they were Tridentine only... Is that true?

Edited by Totus Tuus

Thy Kingdom Come!
Feast of St. Benedict, Founder of Western Monasticism

What I know is that they are cloistered (I think), and don't have a website, that help?

[i]Yours in Christ,[/i]

Eddie Lee

no they aren't cloistered.

There is one group of contemplative nuns but other than that they are apostalic. They live a fairly monastic life for the years of formation but after that the schedule does not always allow for the rigor of those early days.

Thy Kingdom Come!

I was going tos ee if I could get a priest or seminarian from their order to write for my website. Think you could help Jezic?

[i]Yours in Christ, [/i]

Eddie Lee

Thy Kingdom Come!

Thanks for that I will look at it tomorrow.

[i] Yours in Christ, [/i]

Eddie Lee

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Jul 11 2005, 02:03 PM']I met a girl whose brother was a member of that Order and he left. She was SSPX (as was her whole family), so I assumed they were Tridentine only... Is that true?
[right][snapback]639665[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

that is the Society of St. John...not the Community of St. John. the Society has been told by their Bishop and by Rome to no longer say they are in Communion with the Catholic Church. The Community of St. John on the other hand...they are very faithful to the Church. Their founder, Fr. Philippe O.P. was very close with our late Holy Father, JPII and is a very holy man, who i have no doubts about his great sanctity. My brother belongs to that Community. Birgitta Noel, another phatmasser is in their 3rd Order. Fr. Antoine Thomas and a few others have been on EWTN several times and he speaks at the Catholic Family Conferences leading children in Eucharistic Adoration.

from the beginning, the Community has believed the call to live an apostolic life is part of the charism. it is meant to be the fruit of their comtemplative prayer and to nourish their life of comtemplation as well. that is very much the Dominican influence...you can also see it in their intense life of prayer and study.

• 3 months later...
franciscanheart

ive been to the community of st john in laredo. we used to have church retreats there. they are an amazing community. i look up to them. they are the ones who first introduced us to 'desert day' and lemme tell ya... it changed my life!

the only community of St Joh i know is the one in Princeville ILL in teh Diocese of Peoria. Fr Antoine lives there in the monastery grounds with his fellow brothers and Sisters. The Sisters are all together but the brothers are their chaplins and so forth. they get together on tghe grounds all the time. Father Antoine is the bomb, he is so funny and crazya t times but i lve hime dearly!!!!! Wehn he was on EWTN tlaking about the Mountain retreat, i ended up seeing him a few days later, more like 2 days later and i jumped on him with exictement. father was dancing and acting like he was dancing with a girl but no girl, just him and his arms being held out as if hewas!!!!! He lves to give "kisses" and hugs as well!!!!!!!!!! if anyone is considering being apart of that community i would really advise it!!!!! The commmunity is sooooo upbeat and friendly and AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is the website, [url="http://www.communityofstjohn.com"]comunity of St. john website[/url]

franciscanheart

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Nov 15 2005, 04:03 PM']the only community of St Joh i know is the one in Princeville ILL in teh Diocese of Peoria. Fr Antoine lives there in the monastery grounds with his fellow brothers and Sisters. The Sisters are all together but the brothers are their chaplins and so forth. they get together on tghe grounds all the time. Father Antoine is the bomb, he is so funny and crazya t times but i lve hime dearly!!!!! Wehn he was on EWTN tlaking about the Mountain retreat, i ended up seeing him a few days later, more like 2 days later and i jumped on him with exictement. father was dancing and acting like he was dancing with a girl but no girl, just him and his arms being held out as if hewas!!!!! He lves to give "kisses" and hugs as well!!!!!!!!!! if anyone is considering being apart of that community i would really advise it!!!!! The commmunity is sooooo upbeat and friendly and AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
here is the website, [url="http://www.communityofstjohn.com"]comunity of St. john website[/url]
[right][snapback]790324[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
on the site it mentions up at the top: laredo :)
thats the one i was talking about :) cool site!!