An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sign of the Cross

|gnat|

First off, is it okay for me as a protestant to make the sign off the cross when attending mass?

When exactly do you do it? I know entering/exiting the church, but what else?

Is it the left or right side first?

Protestants agree with Catholic in recognizing the cross as the unique symbol of Christianity. Many place the symbol of the cross upon their Bibles, pulpits, steeples, and car bumpers

The sign of the cross reflects biblical reality. The cross of Christ is the crossroads of history and the central event of Scripture. Just as in the Church year Good Friday stands between Advent and Easter, so the Crucifixion stands between the Incarnation and the Resurrection.

Scripture teaches that the purpose of the birth of the Son of God was to die. He came to redeem, ransom, and restore a people--his church. We should place the cross on ourselves as a reminder of the reality of the Crucifixion.

John Chrysostom, bishop of Constantinople in the fourth century, recognized the biblical nature of the sign of the cross. He encouraged his flock, "When, therefore, you sign yourself, think of the purpose of the cross, and quench any anger and all other passions. Consider the price that has been paid for you."

Martin Luther urged his followers to use the sign. In his Catechism of 1529 he instructed fathers to teach their households the following: "In the morning, when you rise from bed, sign yourself with the holy cross and say, 'In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.'...At night, when you go to bed, sign yourself with the holy cross and say, 'In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen

So you can see it's OK for anyone to make the Sign of the Cross for reverent reasons,as it is a form of prayer.

At Mass the Sign of the Cross is made at the beginning with the priest and at the end when the priest blesses the congregation.

There is also a small sign with your thumb on your forehead, on your lips and over your heart at the reading of the Gospel. This reflects the prayer; God be in my head, and in my understanding, God be on my lips and in my speaking, God be in my heart and in my loving

In the Roman Catholic Church the Sign is made with your right hand from the forehead to the Brest or middle then to the left side sholder and then to the right

• 15 years later...
PaxCordisJesu

Yes, of course you can make the Sign of the Cross! In the Roman Rite (either form of the Mass) you touch forehead, chest, left shoulder, then right shoulder. (Always using your right hand)

In the Byzantine Rite you do the same, except you touch first your right shoulder, and then your left shoulder. (I think you still use your right hand, but I'm not sure)

Edited by PaxCordisJesu
Oops, duh. Didn't realize you asked when attending Mass. Byzantine liturgy is called the Divine Liturgy, not the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. In essence the same, but different names.