An Old School Catholic Message Board

Apologetics discussion

StColette

[quote name='StColette' date='Jul 15 2005, 01:57 PM']Well, here's something about a Spiral Argument and a little about a Circular one lol

This Catholic Church tells us the Bible is inspired, and we can take the Church’s word for it precisely because the Church is infallible. Only after having been told by a properly constituted authority—that is, one established by God to assure us of the truth concerning matters of faith—that the Bible is inspired can we reasonably begin to use it as an inspired book.

A Spiral Argument

Note that this is not a circular argument. We are not basing the inspiration of the Bible on the Church’s infallibility and the Church’s infallibility on the word of an inspired Bible. That indeed would be a circular argument! What we have is really a spiral argument. On the first level we argue to the reliability of the Bible insofar as it is history. From that we conclude that an infallible Church was founded. And then we take the word of that infallible Church that the Bible is inspired. This is not a circular argument because the final conclusion (the Bible is inspired) is not simply a restatement of its initial finding (the Bible is historically reliable), and its initial finding (the Bible is historically reliable) is in no way based on the final conclusion (the Bible is inspired). What we have demonstrated is that without the existence of the Church, we could never know whether the Bible is inspired.

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Proving_Inspiration.asp"]http://www.catholic.com/library/Proving_Inspiration.asp[/url]
[right][snapback]644590[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Read !!! lol

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Jul 15 2005, 03:10 PM']hey im a girl and i come in here
[right][snapback]644598[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
me too!

that makes 3 so far.

Noel's angel

i come in here-i don't post very often though 'cause I spend all my time reading and learning from everyone else

Laudate_Dominum

Noel's Angel! A chuisle mo chroi! (hehe j/k) Conas ata tu?

It has been a while.. Good to see you're still around on here.

Actually, I'm here plenty too. I just don't post much because it would take too much time, and I'd wander around the house muttering as I refine arguments to myself.

:)

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='StColette' date='Jul 16 2005, 08:12 PM']okay okay point taken lol

now on to the topic of Circular and Spiral Arguments lol
[right][snapback]645854[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
what about rectangular arguments and egg shaped arguments? :-(

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 16 2005, 07:22 PM']what about rectangular arguments and egg shaped arguments? :-(
[right][snapback]645868[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you still drinking? :cheers:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 16 2005, 08:22 PM']what about rectangular arguments and egg shaped arguments? :-(
[right][snapback]645868[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ROFL smart butt lol

never heard of those before lol please tell me about them !

Noel's angel

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 16 2005, 06:55 PM']Noel's Angel! A chuisle mo chroi!  (hehe j/k) Conas ata tu?

It has been a while.. Good to see you're still around on here.
[right][snapback]645796[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol:

I wonder how many people here know what 'A chuisle mo chroi means' lol

Ta ma go maith :)
le grá go deo :P

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Jul 17 2005, 08:11 AM']le grá go deo  :P
[right][snapback]646328[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ha! I knew it.. *sigh*

[drumroll] .....

Bean mo chroi, an bposfaidh tu me?

Ta gra agam duit..... beoir!

teeheehee!! :P (ta me are meisce)

:beer:

Noel's angel
:lol:

is ea
Gráim thú :blush:

Tá tart orm.......Pionta Guinness, le do thoil!

I think we should stop this soon in case the non-irish speakers get mad. Forgive me if my Irish is a bit rubbish, I'm kinda rusty

*is finding this rather interesting*

at least I know what "Gráim thú" means lol

Edited by StColette

If you give me a week, I might have something for you. A FOCUS missionary is giving a short class on Catholic Apologetics based on Scripture. I could've used it today. My friends and I were playing ultimate frisbee with some other guys and during halftime, the conversation turned towards faith. They were trying to say that salvation comes from faith alone, and that we as human beings do not have to go to the sacraments to receive grace. God forgive me for not having knowledge and for not making better use of the knowledge that I do have. Although, I think they were definitely confused about Catholic beliefs.