Theologian in Training Posted July 17, 2005 Author Posted July 17, 2005 [quote name='Carson Weber' date='Jul 16 2005, 09:40 PM']If you would like a commentary to help w/ the Gospel reading, check out my commentary, which I put up every week on our website at BrenhamCatholic.org - it's here: [url="http://www.brenhamcatholic.org/flashpaper/july_17_2005.swf"]http://www.brenhamcatholic.org/flashpaper/july_17_2005.swf[/url] [right][snapback]645829[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Thank you, but I am probably going to keep it as it is. I am just worried that my first sermon here won't go well, so I am beginning to think that no matter what I say, I will be unhappy with. I guess it is a lot of me wrestling with the Spirit, and the Spirit knocking me around a bit, to let me listen to what He is saying. I think we have come to a truce, and I am going to present what I posted here. If it bombs, there is always next weekend to do better. The bishop here told me that he preaches so well because he takes his words, aware that they are dry bones, and asks the Spirit to give them life. I plan on doing the same tomorrow.....hopefully they will breathe life to at least one person. God Bless
cmotherofpirl Posted July 17, 2005 Posted July 17, 2005 [quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Jul 15 2005, 11:30 PM'] My pastor told me this is probably one of the hardest assignments because we are ministering to the filthy rich, who are so self-sufficient they need nothing more. [right][snapback]644968[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Theo even the rich get sick, have kids in trouble, and fight with their inlaws. Money can distance you from some problems, but they never really go away, and still haunt you in the middle of the night. There are many kinds of poverty; and despair , sadness, drugs and alcohol are everywhere. Hearts are always need healing no matter what your bank account says. Always speak to peoples common pain.
Theologian in Training Posted July 17, 2005 Author Posted July 17, 2005 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 16 2005, 09:54 PM']Theo even the rich get sick, have kids in trouble, and fight with their inlaws. Money can distance you from some problems, but they never really go away, and still haunt you in the middle of the night. There are many kinds of poverty; and despair , sadness, drugs and alcohol are everywhere. Hearts are always need healing no matter what your bank account says. Always speak to peoples common pain. [right][snapback]645834[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I don't know the parishoners well enough to know their pains. I spoke to one woman who shares a similar heart ailment as myself, but that is not the majority. Like I told Carson, I will preach the second one I posted here and pray that it helps at least one person in that congregation. God Bless
cmotherofpirl Posted July 17, 2005 Posted July 17, 2005 [quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Jul 16 2005, 09:01 PM']I don't know the parishoners well enough to know their pains. I spoke to one woman who shares a similar heart ailment as myself, but that is not the majority. Like I told Carson, I will preach the second one I posted here and pray that it helps at least one person in that congregation. God Bless [right][snapback]645838[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You don't have to know each ones personal pain, to speak to everyones common pain. We all have it in one way or another.
Theologian in Training Posted July 17, 2005 Author Posted July 17, 2005 I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, but, like I said, what's done is done and I am going to leave it as it is. Probably not my best to date, but it is only my third time ever, I have time to refine. God Bless
Theologian in Training Posted July 17, 2005 Author Posted July 17, 2005 [quote name='Pontifex' date='Jul 16 2005, 10:46 PM']Prayers. I know you will preach well. Peace. [right][snapback]645894[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Thank you Fr., that means a lot. I pray that it is true. God Bless
Theologian in Training Posted July 17, 2005 Author Posted July 17, 2005 (edited) Good night all. Remember me in your prayers at either 7:00 AM or 9:00 AM because I will be preaching at either one or possibly both, depending on the priest. Thank you all God Bless Edited July 17, 2005 by Theologian in Training
Theologian in Training Posted July 17, 2005 Author Posted July 17, 2005 (edited) It went well. I will include my final draft at the end of this post. I, however, was a bit worried preaching the second time because someone actually collapsed and ultimately died during the profession of the Creed. What a way to start my time here at a new parish. Then after the second one, someone who said he taught homilitecs told me that I needed more verb, as it was too cerebral and I needed to look at the back of the congregation more. I will agree with him that I did not look up enough from what I was reading, but I wanted to give them something to think about.....who knows....my pastor and the assisting pastor thought it was good, and that is what really counts. Thank You again for your prayers and support. God Bless Today Jesus continues, by the means of parables, to explain to us what prayer is and what we must do to maintain an ongoing prayer life throughout our lives. Last week, as you recall, the problem was in finding fertile soil on which to let the seed sprout, that is, the seed of faith. Today, the problem is no longer the soil, but the seed itself. For, unbeknownst to the man who sowed the seed, an enemy came in and planted weeds along with the seed. Jesus is using this parable to teach us a very important lesson: even if we successfully plant our seed in the soil of our souls, to grow and flourish, the weeds are always right next to us, to remind us that we were not fully responsible for their growth, and that even the most fertile soil can be flawed. For, while the seed sprouts into the finest wheat, the weeds grow near that wheat, possibly choking some of it, because the weeds are our sins, and that sin always reminds us that while we strive for holiness, we can never forget where we have come from. In fact, without the weeds we might be tempted to falsely believe that it is by our own merits and strength alone that our prayers are effective. Yet, it is the result of those weeds that we know this not to be true. In fact, every Friday morning, in the Liturgy of the Hours, the prayer of the Church, clergy and laypersons alike will pray Psalm 51, where they echo with the Psalmist: “My offenses, truly I know them; my sin is always before me.” The same Psalm many saints memorized as a constant reminder that the growth of their spiritual life, that sprouting seed, always coexists with their own offenses, their own sins. A reality we might not think about: the greatest saint was also the greatest sinner and the greatest sinner has the potential of becoming a great saint. It is both a humbling and hopeful thought for us to ponder. No matter who we are, or where we have come from, we all share a common vocation, that of Christian holiness. Yet, this holiness does not come without a price, without sacrifice, we need to work at it, and the only way to do this is to pray. This prayer, however, has to be honest and has to be done in a spirit of humility. For, if we are honest with ourselves, truly honest, we know that when we kneel before the altar we are approaching our God, Redeemer, Creator and King and it is only by His merits and the result of His saving death that we can actually do so. Our second reading reminds us of this very clearly: “The Spirit comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes with inexpressible groanings.” In other words, even the act of prayer itself is a gift freely given of which we need God to pray for us. It is ironic, to be sure, and perhaps a bit circular, but our prayer, if even the simplest, is not just us talking to God, but God teaching us how to talk to Him. Although, this may be a bit hard to understand, it does makes sense, for how can it not, we didn’t create ourselves, nor did we create prayer, but each of these were freely given out of nothing more than love for us, and what a great love that is. To teach us how to kneel down, bow our heads and pray. Something we would never know how to do, in the capacity that we do it now, if it were not for Jesus. Granted, prayer did exist before Jesus, however, it was Jesus who taught us intimate prayer, prayer from the heart. In fact, it was He who taught us how to call His Father Our Father thereby giving us courage to pray to that same Father in Heaven. Therefore, I would encourage us all today, to take a few moments in prayer, if even right after this Mass to let the Spirit intercede on your behalf; kneeling before the altar and mindful that what you are doing has been given to you, a great and beautiful and holy gift. And though we are unworthy of such a gift know that your greatest and smallest prayer is never completely yours alone, but the Spirit making intercession for you with inexpressible groanings, teaching you the ways of Christian holiness, the way to become a saint. Edited July 17, 2005 by Theologian in Training
journeyman Posted July 18, 2005 Posted July 18, 2005 Theo . . . eye contact with the back row will come with time and practice . . . no more than one subject and verb per sentence . . . and except in extraordinary situations, no less. . . . or did your homiletic commentator say "verve" our visiting pastor confessed to not knowing anything about wheat, or mustard seeds . . . but yeast and baking bread took him back to his childhood . . . so that's what we heard about in our parish this morning
Theologian in Training Posted July 18, 2005 Author Posted July 18, 2005 [quote name='journeyman' date='Jul 17 2005, 11:24 PM']Theo . . . eye contact with the back row will come with time and practice . . . no more than one subject and verb per sentence . . . and except in extraordinary situations, no less. . . . or did your homiletic commentator say "verve" our visiting pastor confessed to not knowing anything about wheat, or mustard seeds . . . but yeast and baking bread took him back to his childhood . . . so that's what we heard about in our parish this morning [right][snapback]646936[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Perhaps it was verve. Hey, I am still new, and trying to find a style. I know people are not as patient, but if I am not patient in finding a style then I will be rushing to give out garbage. Granted, God does give the words to say, but I am still working on being the instrument through which He works. Ah well, I am not concerned...the pastor liked it as did the associate priest....they understand I am still working at it. God Bless
homeschoolmom Posted July 18, 2005 Posted July 18, 2005 a guy fainting during mass yesterday... Our new priest handled it pretty well... I always wondered what would happen in a situation like that.
Theologian in Training Posted July 18, 2005 Author Posted July 18, 2005 (edited) [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 18 2005, 12:09 PM']a guy fainting during mass yesterday... Our new priest handled it pretty well... I always wondered what would happen in a situation like that. [right][snapback]647913[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Thing is, you don't know how to handle that because you are not prepared. We actually "paused" Mass, and the priest went down and gave him general absolution. Then thinking things were OK, we continued with Mass as we waited for the ambulance. However, he was getting progressively worse, so we "paused" Mass again, and while the priest anointed him, I ran over to the rectory to get the pastor. I ran back and did the Prayers of The Faithful and Mass went on as usual....with the EMT's outside the door, so we would hear the defibrillator power-up and hear "clear".....definitely an experience I will not forget. However, at the same time, from the little bit of time that I knew the guy, I know if he were to have died, it definitely would have been after the Creed. In fact, we had just said "We believe in One God," and he dropped into the pew, sitting down, eyes closed, almost sounding as though he was snoring or gurgling....it was sad but definitely a holy death for a man who deserved it. God Bless Edited July 18, 2005 by Theologian in Training
homeschoolmom Posted July 18, 2005 Posted July 18, 2005 Wow! that's way more "exciting" than what happened in our parish yesterday. Our guy just passed out (i think from the heat). By the time Father got there, he was up and being helped out. He went back, we said a Hail Mary and he went on. It was right at the beginning.
Theologian in Training Posted July 18, 2005 Author Posted July 18, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 18 2005, 12:26 PM']Wow! that's way more "exciting" than what happened in our parish yesterday. Our guy just passed out (i think from the heat). By the time Father got there, he was up and being helped out. He went back, we said a Hail Mary and he went on. It was right at the beginning. [right][snapback]647940[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Not just exciting, but very scary as well. There is a sense of wanting to help, but feeling so helpless....
homeschoolmom Posted July 18, 2005 Posted July 18, 2005 Yeah, that's got to be a horrible, horrible feeling.
Theologian in Training Posted July 18, 2005 Author Posted July 18, 2005 I just realized my title for this thread....seems th transition is getting a bit bumpier....I best hold on either I am liable fall out....let the ride begin.... God Bless
Theologian in Training Posted July 19, 2005 Author Posted July 19, 2005 I must say that I am getting a little annoyed. First, I get here and need to create a username so I can access the Bulletin, Prayers of the Faithful, etc. I set up an account for myself on the server, but I cannot access the internet. Don't really think much of it and leave it at that. 10 minutes later the secretary is complaining she cannot access certain files, the internet is not working for her, and a whole slew of other problems. I am in a panic, so I restart the server, all is well. I give a sermon this past Sunday, and during the Creed someone actually dies. I just now set up my computer (Apple) to print to the network printer....it won't print out properly I think nothing of it, give it one more try....the paper jams and now keeps on jamming.....they need to get it repaired. It almost seems like anything I touch here breaks or dies..... </end rant> God Bless
homeschoolmom Posted July 19, 2005 Posted July 19, 2005 Um, well... think of it this way... Having someone die while you are celebrating mass is probably one of the worst things that can ever happen during mass... and well, what's the chance of it happening twice??
ofpheritup Posted July 20, 2005 Posted July 20, 2005 (edited) I am grateful that the weeds didn't get pulled up but were allowed to grow with the wheat. There have been times in my life where I HAVE BEEN MORE WEED THAN WHEAT. God was merciful to me and gave me an opportunity to change. I think it is called a second chance. To the issue that the rich have everything they need. My sister is rich and miserable, I am poor and happy. Which is very irritating to my sister. Homily for next week. DEATH, COFFIN, YOUR U-HAUL AND YOU. :bugeyes: Edited July 20, 2005 by ofpheritup
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now