Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

So Far Transition Has Been Smooth


Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Oct 30 2005, 04:49 PM']look at that, another idea for a homily ;)
[right][snapback]774230[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ROFL! hehe glad to be a source of inspiration lol

Theologian in Training
Posted

[quote name='StColette' date='Oct 30 2005, 06:54 PM']ROFL!  hehe glad to be a source of inspiration lol
[right][snapback]774237[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, I meant what you pointed out I said. However, I could use that for a homily as well...

BTW, it went well. One of the guys said he doesn't think he has seen someone so calm preaching about the cross.

I was a bundle of nerves both before and after I preached, but while I was preaching I felt very calm and comfortable.

Thanks all for the prayers

God Bless

Posted

[quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Oct 30 2005, 06:22 PM']Actually, I meant what you pointed out I said. However, I could use that for a homily as well...

BTW, it went well. One of the guys said he doesn't think he has seen someone so calm preaching about the cross.

I was a bundle of nerves both before and after I preached, but while I was preaching I felt very calm and comfortable.

Thanks all for the prayers

God Bless
[right][snapback]774316[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm sure you did a wonderful job :) The subject of Suffering is pretty interesting. I wrote a whole tract about it and have read it I don't know how many times. Great source of calm and peace.

Posted

[quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Oct 30 2005, 03:54 PM']Here are the two homilies I gave, one for the Sunday liturgy and the other for the Holy Hour. The one for the seminary is going to be another recycled version of the one on the cross. I will post that one as well.
[right][snapback]774187[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Thank you!

I only read the first one right now, because otherwise I'll get overloaded. :) It's beautiful, and I really appreciate it. For some reason, about 80% of the time, the Sunday masses I go to have homilies which do not relate to the readings! :(

(Today: heating bills. Really! Though a 100% ($6k) jump [i]is[/i] pretty horrible.)

Theologian in Training
Posted (edited)

I was, again, having difficulties discerning where the Spirit wanted to take me with this homily, so I wound up writing it at 5:00 AM this morning before 7:00 AM Mass. People seem to like it, I feel as though I really did not say anything. And yes, it really is that short. It was not even a full page with 16 font.

God Bless

Ten virgins anticipate the return of the bridegroom, and while they wait five are not ready. So, instead of continuing to wait, they go off to get ready, and when they finally ready themselves and return the bridegroom does not recognize them and as thus are not admitted to the wedding feast.

This is one of those parables that, before anything else, forces us to ask a very simple question. Why do we wait?

And the answer to this question sums up the entirety of what we believe.

We wait because we have hope, hope that not only will the bridegroom, Christ, return, but upon that return will raise up those who have died. As St. Paul so beautifully put it, in today’s second reading. “For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first.”

It is the Resurrection that gives us such great hope, because it is a testament that though we die, as Christ did, we will also rise as He did as well. His Resurrection is ours, and by that Resurrection He has destroyed death itself.

We also wait, because we want to see Christ, as He is, face to face. Granted, the His Second Coming will be different than the first, but if we are prepared to see Him we will have nothing to fear.

This is the point of the Gospel today, that our waiting precedes something greater, someone greater and if we wait, are prepared to wait, and want to wait, when someone cries, “Behold the bridegroom, come out to meet him,” we will be ready to be with Him, Christ, our bridegroom, at the wedding feast.

Edited by Theologian in Training
Theologian in Training
Posted

I need prayers real bad. I am having the hardest time writing any homilies. I mean the one I have for tomorrow is probably not going to be preached because the seminary has Candidacy on Christ The King, but I was curious to see how I would have preached, seeing as that is the name of the parish I have been assigned to.

I really need prayers. So, if you would not mind, I would appreciate it.

thanks

God Bless

Posted

Prayers. :sign:

Christ the King! :love: That's my favorite Sunday.

(Maybe I will even try some substantial prayer instead of my recent short, superficial, wussy stuff.... :ninja: Eep.)

Theologian in Training
Posted

[quote name='philothea' date='Nov 9 2005, 02:56 AM']Prayers.  :sign:

Christ the King! :love:  That's my favorite Sunday.

(Maybe I will even try some substantial prayer instead of my recent short, superficial, wussy stuff.... :ninja:  Eep.)
[right][snapback]783449[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]


That was awesome. I knew someone was praying for me, because I am pretty much done with this homily. I am not completely done, so I won't post it until I have edited it all. But for right now, because I need to sleep a bit, it is done.

Thank you....where were you last Saturday when I was up till all hours of the night cursing God and then forced to get up at 5:00AM to write something?

God Bless

Theologian in Training
Posted

Ah, the heck with it. I will post it anyway. I realize I did not mention the readings directly, but, like I said, I was having a hard time with this one, until you came along. Also, I have a serious "problem" (perhaps not) of getting shorter and shorter with my homilies, and I don't know why. I am still not sure it is done....

A great king became one of us for our sake.

We knelt before Him while He slept and when He grew older, watched, as He was clothed with royal garments, to be mocked and then crowned…with thorns.

That was the first time.

Yet, we believe He will come again, a second time, only this time He will come as a king, as a judge, and ruler.

We will again kneel before Him, and He will sit upon His throne and judge us accordingly, as King of Kings and Lords of Lords.

Yet, truth be told, we already acknowledge Him as a king, and worship Him as such. In fact, everytime we walk into this Church, we bow down on our right knee, as they traditionally did in the past before a king or queen.

The difference, however, is that, in the past, when someone would genuflect before a king, it could have been his last. For, on each side of the king a soldier would stand, and if the king was displeased with that person, for whatever reason, one of his soldiers would cut off the head of that person before the king. Granted, it is not as extreme with us, however, it serves as a very important reminder of what we do and why we do it.

Their genuflection was a total act of surrender before their king.

Our genuflection should be no different, because we too bow down before a king, and silently surrender ourselves as well.

The same king we know as child and judge, the same king we honor today.

Posted

[quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Nov 9 2005, 01:26 AM']That was awesome. I knew someone was praying for me, because I am pretty much done with this homily. I am not completely done, so I won't post it until I have edited it all. But for right now, because I need to sleep a bit, it is done.

Thank you....where were you last Saturday when I was up till all hours of the night cursing God and then forced to get up at 5:00AM to write something?
[right][snapback]783495[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Swoon. :love: Love the homily.

Sorry about last Saturday. I was hiding in a tornado shelter most of the night! :pinch:

Theologian in Training
Posted (edited)

[quote name='philothea' date='Nov 9 2005, 03:46 AM']Swoon. :love:  Love the homily. 

Sorry about last Saturday.  I was hiding in a tornado shelter most of the night!   :pinch:
[right][snapback]783537[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sorry to hear about that, and I am glad you are OK. Is everyone else OK, family friends?

As to the homily, do you think I can add something else, and if so what?

I am not sure I am completely happy with the homily.

Any help, much appreciated.

God Bless

Edited by Theologian in Training
Posted

[quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Nov 9 2005, 08:31 AM']Sorry to hear about that, and I am glad you are OK. Is everyone else OK, family friends?

As to the homily, do you think I can add something else, and if so what?

I am not sure I am completely happy with the homily.
[right][snapback]783610[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Everyone is fine. The bad storms passed over here, but they weren't tornadic yet. Not that it would have mattered. We added a purpose-built tornado shelter to the house a couple years ago, and my husband is paranoid about watching weather. It's just annoying to have to stay in the shelter for long periods of time. (If a tornado knocked my house down I'd be thrilled. :rolleyes: Stupid house.)

The homily ends a little abruptly, like you're missing a further conclusion?

I don't know; you're the expert here. I'll keep praying. :)

Theologian in Training
Posted

[quote name='philothea' date='Nov 9 2005, 01:39 PM']Everyone is fine.  The bad storms passed over here, but they weren't tornadic yet.  Not that it would have mattered.  We added a purpose-built tornado shelter to the house a couple years ago, and my husband is paranoid about watching weather.  It's just annoying to have to stay in the shelter for long periods of time.  (If a tornado knocked my house down I'd be thrilled. :rolleyes:  Stupid house.)

The homily ends a little abruptly, like you're missing a further conclusion?

I don't know; you're the expert here.  I'll keep praying. :)
[right][snapback]783821[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am on break right now, but I fixed it a bit, to deal with that exact issue. I felt the same way and am working on trying to make it flow a bit better.

thanks for the feedback

God Bless

Posted

Brother I love the way that you stick to one issue and make it really clear.

Maybe you should challenge yourself more...

...maybe write in Iambic Pentameter.

Posted

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Nov 9 2005, 03:58 PM']Brother I love the way that you stick to one issue and make it really clear.

Maybe you should challenge yourself more...

...maybe write in Iambic Pentameter.
[right][snapback]784086[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:rolling:

Bad idea! :getaclue:

Theologian in Training
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Nov 9 2005, 01:44 PM']I am on break right now, but I fixed it a bit, to deal with that exact issue. I felt the same way and am working on trying to make it flow a  bit better.

thanks for the feedback

God Bless
[right][snapback]783827[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

LOL.

Actually, someone in class today called me the "king of imagery." See, that is what happens when you make a poet preach, he cannot help doing both, or one more than the other.

The class did have a lot to say, including the professor, yet, at the same time, the professor told me not to come to his parish, because he was going to steal some of my ideas, especially, as he put it, the "seeds" of a Christmas homily.

I am beginning to find that, despite my own difficulties with my homilies people are actually getting a lot from them. I cannot tell you how many people in the parish have come up to me to tell me how much they like my homilies. They tell me my timing is great since I don't ramble and that I give them one thing to think about.

I guess I should just trust more in the Holy Spirit and not worry about where I go with it, and how long (or short) it turns out.

I know it's not about me, and I keep trying to step out of the way, and let the message speak for itself.

I pray that I may be able to continue to do so.

Thanks for the advice

God Bless

Edited by Theologian in Training
Posted

[quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Nov 9 2005, 06:28 PM']I guess I should just trust more in the Holy Spirit and not worry about where I go with it, and how long (or short) it turns out.

I know it's not about me, and I keep trying to step out of the way, and let the message speak for itself.

I pray that I may be able to continue to do so.
[right][snapback]784254[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I know you don't have much time to read all the topics here on PM nowadays, so you may not realize that I know this feeling all too well. I am glad that your parishoners and classmates give you some feedback.

One of my writing teachers said it was like shooting baskets in the dark...

Theologian in Training
Posted

I come before you guys again to ask for prayers. Hopefully, this will be the last time I preach for the practicum, which will be nice, since I have an MDiv and a couple other papers to finish.

Anyway, if you could offer a prayer or two on my behalf I would very much appreciate it.

I have to write a homily that I would have hypothetically preached on Thanksgiving if I were in the parish.

Thanks

God Bless

Posted
:sign: May the Holy Spirit guide you as you give this homily :sign:
Theologian in Training
Posted

I am really beginning to dislike writing homilies. Once again I cannot think of anything to say, so will wind up doing it two hours before...this time two hours before class.

I now understand why there are so many priests and deacons that are poor preachers. They would rather suffer in the pulpit then spending hours trying to write something that just won't come.

This is really annoying

I think I am going to prepare my homily for the Second Sunday of Advent soon...

:(

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...