An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Reference Section

StColette

[b][color=red]Attention !!![/color][/b]

:cheer: :clap: The New Reference Section Opens Soon :clap: :cheer:

According to my resources (Hugheyforlife) the brand New Reference Section will make it's first appearance later this evening.

The New Reference Section makes it easier to anyone to find information on a topic that they might be wondering about.

The Awesome New Reference Section has an incredible search feature that will make tracking down a specific topic a whole lot easier for everyone.

Categories in the New Ref. Section include:

The Bible
Church Authority. Apostolic Succession
Mary
Salvation, Justification, Predestination
Sacraments, Sacramentals
History of the Church
Faith and Science
Prayer, Devotion, Spirituality
Defending the Faith Online (Tracts by Phatmassers)
Sacred Tradition
Peter, the Papacy
Communion of Saints
Death, Judgment, Afterlife
Morality, Ethics, Truth
Early Church Fathers
Theology of the Body
Other Religions, Opposing Views
Tools for Apologetics

Believe me when I say if you can't find it in the Reference Section then it doesn't exist. With way over 6,000 sites and topics the New Reference Section will hold the answers to any questions that you might have.

Did yall also know that the Reference Section includes audio files on many different topics.

Seriously people how much better can this thing get?

The New Ref Section also gives you a chance to rate the different topics that are listed within it. So if you like a certain bit of info that you read be sure and rate it so others won't just look over and not realize that it's really something interesting and helpful to read.

The Ref Section also includes a Newest Link section. So if you happen to think you've read through every single site in one of the sections then be sure and keep a look out in the Newest Link section, you never know when new stuff will be added and if you don't check you could miss out.

The New Reference Section creative team has worked very hard in order to bring this to Phatmass. So let's show 'em that we appreciate what they do by using the New Reference Section.

Many thanks to the New Reference Section creative team :)

And Special thanks to Dust for allowing us to have this awesome new feature. Also Special thanks to Nick (Phatcatholic) for being crazy and sweet enough to put the reference section together and to maintain it for all of Phatmass.

God Bless,
Jennie

Fidei Defensor
YESSSSSSSSSSS!

Thank you all you guys and gals for all your hard work!

I cant wait! This will be awesome!

phatcatholic

a couple more things that make the new ref. section better than the old

--you will now be able to add your own links to the reference section. once you submit a link, it will go to the admins for approval. if its all good, it goes in :D

--you will also be able to report a link. if a link is broken, or if it goes to the wrong page, you can report it, and a notice will be sent to the admins.

--you can now link to subsections w/in an entry. for example, before, if you wanted someone to see the link about mary's assumption, you couldn't just link to the assumption section, you had to link to the entire mary entry. now you can link to each subsection.

--it already contains MUCH more links than the old. while i was transferring links to the new system, i also added many new ones.

--links are better organized, titles for subsections more accurately portray the links they contain, doubles have generally been deleted, some links that were in the wrong place have been re-located, all broken links have been fixed (as far as i know), old links have been updated

--entries are cross-referenced. for example, in the section on judaism, under non-christian religions, there's a note to also see the section on the church and the holocaust, under the history of the church entry.

--there's a popular links section, where you can see the links that people are utilizing the most.

--its independent of the forum. so, if the forum crashes, you can still access the reference section.

--new directory gives a constant count of the # of links and categories.

all in all, its pretty sweet. three people--hugheyforlife, Cure of Ars, and myself--have been working on it every day for a good month and a half. of course, i spent months before hand just getting the old reference section ready for the transfer to the new system (making sure the format for punctuation and spelling and wording of the titles is uniform and that the broken links are fixed). it is all very tedious work. just imagine submitting over 6,100 links one.........at...........a..............time. i guarantee you i spend more hours on this than i do at my real job.

i hope you like it

pax christi,
phatcatholic

phatcatholic

a note on the search feature.

if you do the basic search you'll come up pretty empty. that's b/c the vast majority of the links have no key words or underlying descriptors that the basic search looks for. so, you have to use the advanced search and search for words that would appear in the title of an article.

we may fix this in the future, but i'm not too worried about it right now. i think its pretty easy to find what you are looking for.

phatcatholic

also notice that every entry has subsections on scripture references, ECF testimony, catechism references, and audio downloads.

the audio in particular is an untapped resource. one could very well make several apologetics cd's from the audio we have compiled for each entry. we have audio from some of the most popular catholic apologists.................and its all free.

when the new reference section debuts, make sure you check that out (unless you were clever enough to find the new reference section yourself, in which case, ENJOY! :D)

Edited by phatcatholic

franciscanheart

phatty over there is the one to thank. without his hard work and obsessive compulsions we would not have this resource. cure and i helped enter some links, its true, but phatty is the one to thank.

so [b]thank you[/b] again phat.

Whenever I try to open the "Online Text and Documents" under Resources, it asks me if I want to save it as a file. I can access it from the homepage, or if I save it, I can access it from there is well. I don't have this problem with any of the other resource links.

[quote name='Old_Joe' date='Jul 19 2005, 12:28 AM']Whenever I try to open the "Online Text and Documents" under Resources, it asks me if I want to save it as a file.  I can access it from the homepage, or if I save it, I can access it from there is well.  I don't have this problem with any of the other resource links.
[right][snapback]649292[/snapback][/right][/quote]
Thx. Fixed.