Anastasia13 Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 (edited) [quote name='goldenchild17' date='Jul 24 2005, 02:53 AM']Yech, hate dealing with money. I think I'll just teach elementary or high school and get my Master's in Theology like I planned. [right][snapback]656592[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I wish I could double major in economics and theology. You can't get much of a job around my area with a degree in econ, especially if it is not a graduate degree and I would not know what to do with theology. Edited July 24, 2005 by Light and Truth
photosynthesis Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 there are no "good jobs" or "bad jobs." Whatever God has planned for you is going to be good.
Anastasia13 Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 24 2005, 03:12 AM']there are no "good jobs" or "bad jobs." Whatever God has planned for you is going to be good. [right][snapback]656600[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yes, but sadly neither of those seem like ones I would get a job in the area that would lead to what I want to do.
argent_paladin Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 It really doesn't matter too much what you get your bachelor's in (either science or humanities). A philosophy degree is useful for almost any pursuit, from law, to education, to business to medicine, etc. Especially if you want to get a masters in theology (or a Ph.D) I would recommend a BA in philosophy. I wish I had gotten one.
goldenchild17 Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 [quote name='argent_paladin' date='Jul 24 2005, 04:14 AM']Especially if you want to get a masters in theology (or a Ph.D) I would recommend a BA in philosophy. I wish I had gotten one. [right][snapback]656603[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I want to get my masters in Theology(and PhD) but realistically I probably won't be able to go directly from BA to Masters school right away. I'll need to probably take some time to work and stuff. How will I do that with a Philosophy bachelor degree?
photosynthesis Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 [quote name='Light and Truth' date='Jul 24 2005, 06:14 AM']Yes, but sadly neither of those seem like ones I would get a job in the area that would lead to what I want to do. [right][snapback]656602[/snapback][/right] [/quote] well, what do you want to do? there are some majors that really do call for grad school.. and that's fine, if you want to go to grad school. I knew I didn't want to go to grad school, so i was smart and majored in communications/media studies.
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 [quote name='goldenchild17' date='Jul 24 2005, 04:25 AM']I want to get my masters in Theology(and PhD) but realistically I probably won't be able to go directly from BA to Masters school right away. I'll need to probably take some time to work and stuff. How will I do that with a Philosophy bachelor degree? [right][snapback]656611[/snapback][/right] [/quote] A professor I recently spoke with said it is foolish to pay money for graduate school. I have a friend who, rather than paying for it, actually gets paid $25,000 a year to go to graduate school (I'm talking about philosophy and theology too). Another buddy of mine taught a couple classes while he was still finishing his master in philosophy. I imagine you can get hooked up somehow if your undergraduate history looks good.
photosynthesis Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 [quote name='goldenchild17' date='Jul 24 2005, 06:25 AM']I want to get my masters in Theology(and PhD) but realistically I probably won't be able to go directly from BA to Masters school right away. I'll need to probably take some time to work and stuff. How will I do that with a Philosophy bachelor degree? [right][snapback]656611[/snapback][/right] [/quote] well, with a B.A. in theology, you could probably do some sort of work in the Church...youth ministry, catechesis, etc? I don't know if/how much you'd get paid, but a lot of parishes are looking for good youth ministers. If you'd rather go to corporate route, philosophy is really good. After recent scandals such as Enron, companies are looking for people who have a strong sense of ethics, and a philosophy degree would suggest such a qualification.
goldenchild17 Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 What do you mean "if my history looks good"? Grades? Or the program I take, such as Philosophy?
photosynthesis Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 24 2005, 06:30 AM']I imagine you can get hooked up somehow if your undergraduate history looks good. [right][snapback]656615[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Plus, a lot of companies offer to pay some or all of grad school tuition as part of a salary/benefits package. I know my mom's company pays for up to three college courses per year. There is also the Graduate Assistantship, and you could also be a TA.
Anastasia13 Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 (edited) [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 24 2005, 03:27 AM']well, what do you want to do? there are some majors that really do call for grad school.. and that's fine, if you want to go to grad school. I knew I didn't want to go to grad school, so i was smart and majored in communications/media studies. [right][snapback]656613[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I'm going to be nearly 23 with an associates degree taking nearly every major required class for my degree one class at a time because of money and medical insurance. I don't expect to be done with my bachelors till I'm in my late 20s close to 30. That is why I started my first post in this thread the way I did. I was hoping for graduate school to do something like environmental studies I suppose. I am getting associates in office management because I need a good job with medical insurance sooner than I would finish a bachelors. I am going to be a finance major because most companies are looking for people with specifically a business background, not economics. What I would really like to do is major in economics (especially with classes in environmental economics or anything to do with policy from the view of economics), with minors in something environmental, maybe international studies, and for practicality business (at least at my old cal state, only two minors were possible) and I really want to study theology. My dream job is to work at the business or something with project development for a generally Christian organization that works on community or business development (in economically efficient and environmentally sound way) in poorer areas of the world and in a way that would offer me a chance to travel a little bit. Edited July 24, 2005 by Light and Truth
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 [quote name='goldenchild17' date='Jul 24 2005, 04:32 AM']What do you mean "if my history looks good"? Grades? Or the program I take, such as Philosophy? [right][snapback]656617[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I mean, if you have good grades and all that. I've heard lots of withdrawal can look bad too (of which I have many, I'd always bite off more than I could chew). But I've heard from professors that the level of assistance available for graduate students (at most schools anyway) far surpasses what is available for undergrad, and that it's not unreasonable to go through graduate school without paying a cent.
cappie Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 I have a degree in Religious Studies and a Masters in Theology. : Big deal. They will not get me into heaven and faster than anyone else To live your life keeping the commandments is far more important.
goldenchild17 Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 24 2005, 04:36 AM']I mean, if you have good grades and all that. I've heard lots of withdrawal can look bad too (of which I have many, I'd always bite off more than I could chew). But I've heard from professors that the level of assistance available for graduate students (at most schools anyway) far surpasses what is available for undergrad, and that it's not unreasonable to go through graduate school without paying a cent. [right][snapback]656621[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Hmm, maybe it's worth it to keep my 4.0 after all...
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 [quote name='goldenchild17' date='Jul 24 2005, 09:43 AM']Hmm, maybe it's worth it to keep my 4.0 after all... [right][snapback]656757[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Sweeeeet!!!!! This must be you..
qfnol31 Posted July 24, 2005 Author Posted July 24, 2005 (edited) [quote name='goldenchild17' date='Jul 24 2005, 03:46 AM']I study apologetics, that's as far as my knowledge goes. I would like to become a Theology Professor eventually though, so I will need more studies. I do have a question though. I initially(when I entered a local community college) declared my major as Philosophy. But now I am probably changing it to teaching or something because I can't figure out what the heck one could possibly do to make a living off of a bachelor's in Philosophy. I do need to eat and save money so I can get my Master's(and hopefully Doctorate) in Theology and maybe also Philosophy. But what does a person do for like a job with a bachelor in Philosophy? [right][snapback]656587[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Get a Masters in Theology. Actually, there are a few ways you can do this. 1) A little odd, but go to Rome. The school I want to attend would cost you $3,000 total. 2) Find scholarships, my school gives half off everything, which I believe is $700 a course, and it's a two year program I believe. Edited July 24, 2005 by qfnol31
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 I grew up in a Catholic home, went to Catholic school for a few years before being homeschooled (and religion was one of our top subjects lol)... then I went off to college and spent 3 years in Theology classes.
dspen2005 Posted July 24, 2005 Posted July 24, 2005 i will have more when I go to seminary in AUgust...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now