An Old School Catholic Message Board

"tasteless" humor

bx_racer

Guest Eremite

[quote]"An impure word spoken in jest may prove a scandal to others, and sometimes a word of double meaning, said in a witty way, does more harm than a word openly impure."

--St. Alphonsus Liguori[/quote]

Melchisedec

I guess a good rule of thumb would be , any content beyond pubescent should be avoided by catholics.

Edited by Melchisedec

The way I distinguish in this area is that if a joke offends someone, it also offends God.

I always try to stear away potentially offesive jokes - however I take the side that god also has a sense of humour, and I must agree that some people will unjustly find offense in the smallest of things. So it always remains a certain gray area, and you have to use common sense.

If in doubt, I usually try to keep my trap shut.
(notice I said 'try', not 'always'... hey, how often have I said that I wasn't a Saint?)

well i mean like joking about private parts or like with a broom happy gilmore style lol, and like calling each other gay and stuff ( with respect to homosexuals)

toledo_jesus

well, if you have to ask you obviously know that you shouldn't say such things.
Whatever, guys rip on each other and as long as it's understood there are no malicious feelings then it's alright. Of course, sacred material is off limits. Jokes about having sex or your genitals should be kept to a minimum, and at a minimal level. Insinuation is better than blunt speech, and it tends to be more impressive.

If you have a doubt about what you're saying, then don't say it and you won't be any worse off. :disguise:

[quote name='bx_racer' date='Jul 25 2005, 02:09 PM']is it ok to be funny in an indecent way like, well you know what i mean.
[right][snapback]658430[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

NO. Indecent and funny don't go together. At least not where I am going.

For clarification you may want to read the book of James.

I hate to be a wet blanket (no I don't) but I care about you. And I don't want to see you make the same mistakes I have. I have had to repent for alot of things I have said that I thought were funny.

Once you say it you can't take it back.

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Jul 26 2005, 10:48 AM']well, if you have to ask you obviously know that you shouldn't say such things. 
Whatever, guys rip on each other and as long as it's understood there are no malicious feelings then it's alright.  Of course, sacred material is off limits.  Jokes about having sex or your genitals should be kept to a minimum, and at a minimal level.  Insinuation is better than blunt speech, and it tends to be more impressive. 

If you have a doubt about what you're saying, then don't say it and you won't be any worse off.  :disguise:
[right][snapback]659542[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

"Jokes about having sex or your genitals should be kept to a minimum."

No jokes like that should JUST BE KEPT, please to yourself.

"and it tends to be more impressive." To whom? To Jesus?

Guest Eremite

More from St. Alphonsus Liguori:

[quote]"The misfortune is, that those mouths of hell that frequently utter immodest words, regard them as trifles, and are careless about confessing them: and when rebuked for them, they answer: 'I say these words in jest, without malice'. In jest! Unhappy man, these jests make the Devil laugh, and shall make you weep for eternity in hell. In the first place, it is useless to say that you utter such words without malice; for, when you use such expressions, it is very difficult for you to abstain from acts against purity...utter a single obscene word and you shall bring into sin all that listen to you."
[/quote]

I think there's a difference between mere vulgarity and indecency. Indecent tends to refer to something offensively vulgar, whereas vulgarity in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean offending, just crude. Indencency also tends to imply a sexual vulgarity.

For instance, "redneck" humor is typically vulgar, but not always indecent.

Ex. (vulgar but not necessarily indecent; feel free to disagree) You know you're staying in a redneck motel, when you call up the front desk to say you gotta leak in the sink, and the guy says, "Go ahead."

i've been thinking about this, especially with respect to the documentary/movie coming out, featuring comedians telling a very nasty joke. ("The Aristocrats")

infinitelord1

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Jul 25 2005, 02:20 PM']I guess a good rule of thumb would be , any content beyond pubescent should be avoided by catholics.
[right][snapback]658450[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
what do you thinik mel?

voiciblanche

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jul 26 2005, 04:27 PM']I personally prefer odorless humor.
[right][snapback]660107[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:hehe: