cmotherofpirl Posted November 20, 2003 Posted November 20, 2003 http://www.nationalreview.com/derbyshire/d...00311170917.asp
nikkan_hanil Posted November 20, 2003 Posted November 20, 2003 ...and I don't even like America that much...
hyperdulia again Posted November 20, 2003 Posted November 20, 2003 i don't think there is a christian/catholic nation left on this planet, americans and brits just go to church more than anyone else.
God Conquers Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 ahem. Vatican City anyone? Sovereign Nation.
Ellenita Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 Interesting article - is that how most Americans view us? I believe Peter Hitchens is an English writer though I may be wrong, but his views quoted in the article about the UK becoming a muslim country are really interesting - I was reading in the paper yesterday that there are 600,000 muslims living in London and over half of them are under the age of 25. Of course if this is the case it will mean dismantling our constitution since the Church and the state at the moment are completely interlinked. If Charles ever becomes king, then it may be a possibility since he is known to be very sympathetic towards islamic beliefs. I wonder what the statistics were in relation to Ireland - I bet most people there would identify theselves as Christian! I'm really offended by the writers assertion that the US stands alone against terrorism - British soldiers (and other nationalities) have died alongside Americans in Afganistan and Iraq, and I might add there have been many British non military lives lost in acts of terrorism over the past 30 years. It is true that there has been some consderable opposition to the war in Iraq here, however I believe the same is true in the US, it just hasn't received the same kind of media coverage.
cmotherofpirl Posted November 21, 2003 Author Posted November 21, 2003 Interesting article - is that how most Americans view us? I believe Peter Hitchens is an English writer though I may be wrong, but his views quoted in the article about the UK becoming a muslim country are really interesting - I was reading in the paper yesterday that there are 600,000 muslims living in London and over half of them are under the age of 25. Of course if this is the case it will mean dismantling our constitution since the Church and the state at the moment are completely interlinked. If Charles ever becomes king, then it may be a possibility since he is known to be very sympathetic towards islamic beliefs. I wonder what the statistics were in relation to Ireland - I bet most people there would identify theselves as Christian! I'm really offended by the writers assertion that the US stands alone against terrorism - British soldiers (and other nationalities) have died alongside Americans in Afganistan and Iraq, and I might add there have been many British non military lives lost in acts of terrorism over the past 30 years. It is true that there has been some consderable opposition to the war in Iraq here, however I believe the same is true in the US, it just hasn't received the same kind of media coverage. Last I checked the news, there where going to be 100,000 Londoners protesting. Protests don't make the news here, because they are not happening here in any such numbers. Europe is becoming an Islamic territory: what they couldn't do in the past by force, they do now by sheer numbers and birth rate.
Paladin D Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 Europe is becoming an Islamic territory: what they couldn't do in the past by force, they do now by sheer numbers and birth rate. Exactly. I wouldn't be suprised if another Crusade is started in the future...
Ellenita Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 last I checked the news there were going to be 100,000 Londoners protesting I don't think the figures have been as high as that and not all of them are Londoners - Michael Moore has been one of them for example! However as President Bush said himself in the speech earlier today - that is what freedom and democracy are all about, being able to express your opinion. The protestors have been against the war in Iraq, not the war against terrorism, and the problem for Bush and more importantly in the UK for Blair has been that there is no evidence linking Saddam Hussein with al-Qaeda and no weapons of mass destruction have yet been found. And I make the point again - British lives have also been lost to terrorism, including three today in Turkey.
Ellenita Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 Sorry, cmotherofpirl, I'm a bit raw at the moment - please forgive my tone in my last post. I have to travel on public transport from one side of London to the other to get to work and it's not been fun this week with all the security and the city being on high alert - I think the tense atmosphere is having a very negative effect on me but that's no reason to take it out on you! Apologies.
cmotherofpirl Posted November 21, 2003 Author Posted November 21, 2003 THats ok, I am not offended. Historically our nations have been friends. Its hard to see the protests from a country we consider cousins.
Ellenita Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 He seemed to talk alot of sense when he was interviewed on TV over here a couple of days ago! He said he thought the war in Iraq was diverting attention away from the real war against terrorism and al-Qaeda. The interviewer asked him a question which began 'now that we've won the war in Iraq...' to which he replied 'have we won? Saddam hasn't been captured!' I thought Bowling for Columbine was a very good film.... *Helen dives for cover....* :ph34r:
God Conquers Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 I don't mind Michael Moore either. He babbles alot and is frequently stretching his ideas and conspiracies a little too far, but he makes some excellent points.
Paladin D Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 Michael Moore may have some points that are correct, but he's a Liberal. Not saying all Liberals are like this, but he's just an arse portal. He stated that President Bush is like Adolf Hitler in his early days. The Bush Administration has asked (I think they got it, I can't remember lol) $87 Billion dollars to help with Iraq. Right now, we're trying to quickly get things settled. The President stated that he wants the power to be shifted to the people of Iraq ASAP, hopefully this'll start to happen sometime in 2004. I think we should start focusing on North Korea, though we already have some troops there. Who knows though, maybe our government (no doubt) is focusing on North Korea as well, they're just keeping it away from the media? As soon as the power is transfered to the Iraqi people, the sooner we can fully focus on North Korea. Note: I have mix feelings on the War of Iraq, I don't have any clear position unfortunately.
Seatbelt Blue Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 Europe is becoming an Islamic territory: what they couldn't do in the past by force, they do now by sheer numbers and birth rate. I've been saying such for a while; I think we need a new religious order dedicated to the reconversion of Europe.
God Conquers Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 You can "focus" on North Korea? OK boys, move the gunsights over to Asia. It's more populous, so we'll kill more people with one bomb! North Korea is on the verge of economic collapse. They haven't tested a nuclear weapon and aren't likely to. China won't allow them to go crazy. I think the US needs to start using it's peaceful avenues a bit more thoroughly.
hyperdulia again Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 this war was/is evil and praise almighty God taht people somewhere have the courage to stand-up and call mr. bush what he is--namely a rcist war-mongerer.
Seatbelt Blue Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 this war was/is evil and praise almighty God taht people somewhere have the courage to stand-up and call mr. bush what he is--namely a rcist war-mongerer. I disagree; you'll notice that the Iraqis are generally happy we came, and I doubt Bush was motivated by racial hatred.
hyperdulia again Posted November 21, 2003 Posted November 21, 2003 LOL..i'd be "generally happy" too if my town was full of invading troops...you couldn't pay me to do more than smile for than smile for fox news.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now