An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It God's Will For Everyone To Be Healed?

Paladin D

Just curious.

I mean, my little bro asked "Why hasn't the Pope been healed yet?"

Some Protestant ministers proclaim that sickness and disease is demonic, and everyone can get healed from it. Though aren't there certain cases where God allows it?

it depends on God's will for you. God protected this pope to live this long, and God continues to bless Him with suffering that continues to make Him more Holy. If the suffering is too much to bear, asking God to realieve it isn't wrong. it's following in the footsteps of the savior when He said if it be possible let this cup pass from me.

therefore, it's always, if it is possible take the affliction away.

but never forget the finale... however NOT MY WILL, BUT THINE BE DONE.

this is the question i raised in the "health and wealth" thread that Muschi started. and i'll say again what i said there: i think it is awfully arrogant and audacious to:

1. assert that God will heal a person EVERY time a minister tries to heal that person

2. claim--when it doesn't work--that it is because the "sick person" lacked the proper degree of faith or devotion.

i have personally seen the damaging effects this can have on a person. one has to allow for the possibility that it is not God's will that a person be cured of a particular malady. God is not to blame for the sickness and death that is in this world--man is. But, He does provide for us a way to see the good in every situation, to turn every evil into good. unfortunately, we always assume that "good" means "healed."

just think of all the people who have used their particular sickness or handicap to be an inspiration to others. Paul even boasted in his afflictions and persecutions, b/c they humbled him and allowed him to serve his Lord.

for further articulation on why i disagree w/ this "healing craze" see my post in Muschi's thread.

pax christi,

nick

how does suffering glorify God? hmmmm, let's see:

Romans 8:18- I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

1 Peter 2:22, 23- He committed no sin, and no deciet was found in his mouth." When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.

Acts 5:40, 41- They [the Sanhedrin] called the apostles in and had them folgged. Then they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. The apostles left the Sanhedrin, Rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name.

2 Timothy 3:12- In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus wil be persecuted.

James 1:2-4, 12- Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith devolops perseverance. Perseverance must finish it's work so that you will be mature and complete, not lacking anything. Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will recieve the crown of life that God has pormised to those who love him.

Mathew 5:11,12- "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all knids of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Romans 5:3-5- Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Philippians 1:29- For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him.

1 Peter 3:14- But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear what they fear, do not be frightened. But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord.

1 Peter 4:12-14, 16, 19- Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. So then, those who suffer accordintg to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

Luke 21:19- By standing firm you will gain life.

Acts 14:22- "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God."

--------------------------------------

now, i will agree that not all of these verses specifically partain to bearing a particular malady, but they all apply to some degree if you extend "suffering" to the idea of being "persecuted."

pax christi,

nick

Even Our Lord Jesus said, "If you love me, deny your very self, pick up your cross each day, and come follow Me."

Crosses aren't generally pleasant.

He suffered for us.

He invites us to share in that act in our small, insignificant, imperfect human way. So, somehow, through our willingness to endure sufferings united to Christ's suffering, it does glorify God and benefit mankind.

St. Paul tells that he suffered a thorn in the flesh which he asked God to remove three times, but it was the Lord's will that he should endure it and persevere through this affliction.

In my mind, it is he who trusts God's will completely, even in times of suffering, who has deeper faith.

Anyone who receives a healing would have faith, but the one who suffers willingly with Christ---now there's a true follower!

Suffering is such a gift. We all have to carry our cross and we do not choose our cross, God gives it to us. Yes, some sicknesses could be cured by prayer/fasting/exorcism. But if you are strong in your faith you will embrace the gifts God has given you, even sickness. I am sure the Pope does not hate his sickness, I am sure he loves the gift. and when you hear him talk, he is still a genius and sharp as a tack. Our body means nothing, it is our mind and our spirit. We must embrace our sufferings and connect them to Christ's.

Plus, think of the stigmata, that is a totally amesome gift, which would hurt like carp and is a sickness, but who wouldn't love it!

Oh, while we're on it.

Two questions regarding Stigmata...

1) Does it hurt? Like, as in a real wound?

2) My little bro asked me this out of curiousity "Why?"