An Old School Catholic Message Board

High School Prom

the_rev

Did you/do you plan on going your high school prom?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

FlyLikeABird

I went to mine. If I hadn't it would have been highly noticable as there were only 90 people in my grad class. I didn't go with a date and I had a great time!

Well, this year will be my first time I can go to prom, but I have gone to several other formal dances. I have a lot of fun with my friends, and I go to make sure they're alright. At our dances, there are always a few people who show up drunk :thumbdown:, so I want to make sure everyone has a designated driver.

i did not go, but i went to an all girls school and i didn't know any guys to even go as friends. i also wasn't into dances, so i figured there was no point.

just because you are considering consecrated life is no reason to not go to the prom. there is nothing wrong with going with friends and just having fun.

I went to Spring Formal my freshman year of college (I was discerning then, but not SO seriously), and then this past year, I didn't go, but it had nothing to do with my discernment. I have lots of good guy friends with whom I would have been more than happy to go, but I opted out in order to spend time with my roommate and best friend. :)

[quote name='Andrea348' date='Aug 13 2005, 11:05 AM']just because you are considering consecrated life is no reason to not go to the prom.  there is nothing wrong with going with friends and just having fun.
[right][snapback]684076[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I second that. I went to both of my proms, and I even went to my senior prom with a date despite seriously discerning! I went to spring formal at Steubenville my first and last year (the first because I wanted to reuse my expensive prom dress and the last because I really wanted to prove to my mom that one could design a formal dress out of toile).

When I didn't go to the dances, it wasn't because I was discerning. I spent time with my friends instead. One year, two of my household sisters and I went to hard rock cafe in Pitt with some of the pre-thes (because they can't go to formal).

Well, I'm home-schooled, but I swing dance. I went to the "formal" dance last October when I was pretty sure I'd be entering with the PCPA's. I don't think I'd go to a prom, though, unless the dancing was very innocent and there were a lot of good Catholics (or at least Christians) that I could hang out with. In other words, I wouldn't go to a prom at a public school or a private school (our private schools are really secular in this area), but I'd probably go to a home-school prom.

Edited by Totus Tuus

All For Jesus

I didn't go...but I agree with the others, there is nothing wrong with going to dances, as long as we remember that we are expected to live out our faith everywhere we go.

I went to my Junior Prom, and I'm planning on attending my Senior Homecoming and Senior Prom this year as well. I didn't go with a date last time, and I don't intend on going with anyone this year, but I did dance. There's nothing wrong with dancing as long as it's clean and not inappropriate. It's human recreation, and God wants us to relax and have fun sometimes. After all, I'm sure Our Lord danced. It's a cultural thing. Also, I think it's a good idea to go and set a good Catholic/Christian example to others. There was drinking going on while I was there, and I could have joined in, but I respectfully declined.

inthelight009

I plan on going to my prom...
I know it isn't the ideal thing to go to... but most people I know went their prom and have some sort of story to go with it... good or bad

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I went to my senior prom, only because I was asked by a friend of mine who was looking for a date so he could go. Otherwise I wasn't planning on going. I'd had enough of all the dancing and immodesty from previous dances... but it was quite nice... I'm just a laid back kind of person, more interested in the joys of heaven than the pleasures of earth...

I went to my 'prom'. Then I went again twice with girls who asked me to go with them at their respective proms, two years in a row.

In total I went to four proms... the last one being asked to go by my girlfirend who ended up being my wife. It was not that she was so much younger than me, but she missed a year in her schooling becasue she had switched province.

So in total, at my high-school, I went to four proms in a row 9has to be somekind of record or something). The teachers where getting tired of seeing me each year! lol It was fun...