CrossCuT Posted August 30, 2005 Posted August 30, 2005 [color=330000]Hey everyone! I just thought I open this up to anyone who wanted to chat about their experiences with WYD! I know one funny thing that happend to me was in the Cathedral's square...One of those people who dress up as statues was there and I got to take a picture with him and my friend Kyleen! He was soo funny! [/color]
Proud2BCatholic139 Posted August 30, 2005 Posted August 30, 2005 Yep, hey, I know you! Haha, anyway, I know one of my favorite experiences of W.Y.D. Cologne was going on the pilgrimage from Colonge to Marionfield, 20 miles there...sleeping on the ground, no food, almost having hypothermia, being dirty, and having section A2 for the pope....want to see where I was??? As the theme was "We have come to worship him", I honestly felt like I was one of the three Magi, (Whom, their relics are at the Cathedrial in Cologne.) As I strived to reach Cologne, like the Magi were walking to seek Baby Jesus in Bethlehem. On the way back home, the transit was booked, so, we booked it for 30 miles again on foot. As people were complaining, I was walking on a twisted/bruised ankle, I was hungry, and tired, but I still had a smile on my face because I know my Best Friend, Jesus Christ, was right there next to me. I saw that pilgrimage as my penance. For all of the sin I have committed in the past. I came home a changed person. I loved every minute of my trip. If anyone would like to know more, send me a message, and I"ll be happy to tell you. -Jen Psalm 139:14! YAY! : Oh, well, I'll post my picture later.
CrossCuT Posted August 30, 2005 Author Posted August 30, 2005 [color=330000]Thats soo cool you walked all the way there and back from the Marionfield!! Thats awsome!! I, however, got to see the Pope on one of those jumbo screens from all the way back in B22, JOY! Lol Yes, the walking, no sleep, and lack of food was hard on us all, but I dont regret any of it!! [/color]
lifeteenchick527 Posted August 30, 2005 Posted August 30, 2005 i was soooo there... i was with philippe... where his thread is... i did all of that lol God Bless LTC
lifeteenchick527 Posted August 30, 2005 Posted August 30, 2005 heres the thread >>>>>> [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=37959&hl="]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=37959&hl=[/url] <<<<<<
Catholictothecore Posted August 30, 2005 Posted August 30, 2005 Watch, the Sydney pilgrimage is into the desert! (Didn't go to Cologne, but couldn't help interjecting.)
CrossCuT Posted August 30, 2005 Author Posted August 30, 2005 [color=330000]Thats cool! I wasnt prepaired for Colonge at all, but I loved it none the less! [/color]
lifeteenchick527 Posted August 30, 2005 Posted August 30, 2005 neither was i... it was realllllllllllyyyyyyyy ccccccooooolllldddd God Bless LTC
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted August 30, 2005 Posted August 30, 2005 I didn't see the Pope at all aside from the screens and TV and I think I saw him through binoculars, but I loved the walking part of the pilgrimage, but we had some people in our group who were not ready for it at all... but I just prayed my Rosary and I even got a little message from God! It was the best...
CrossCuT Posted August 30, 2005 Author Posted August 30, 2005 [color=330000]When the Pope first came to Colonge, my group (In the beautiful macaroni-yellow shirts) were about 30 feet away from the side. I STILL COULDNT SEE! Lol, I was too short, I couldnt see over all the people's heads! I moved and went to the side of the stage the pope was on along a ledge where some other people were but I found that was no better. But I made a friend there, her name was Laura, she was from Cali!! She was awsome, we screamed together! Haha [/color]
shelly_freak Posted August 30, 2005 Posted August 30, 2005 [quote name='CrossCuT' date='Aug 30 2005, 09:39 AM'][color=330000] But I made a friend there, her name was Laura, she was from Cali!! She was awsome, we screamed together! Haha [/color] [right][snapback]704980[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Did she have brownish hair and braces?
CrossCuT Posted August 31, 2005 Author Posted August 31, 2005 [color=330000]No, she didnt, but here is a picture of us with her. She is the one in the greenish shirt! [/color] [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Pink_Citronnade/germany4.jpg[/img] [color=330000]Here are some more pictures from germany!! [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Pink_Citronnade/germany2.jpg[/img] This is a pic of the cathedral the day the Pope came! (Wednesday) [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Pink_Citronnade/germany1.jpg[/img] Me and my friend Kyleen! [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Pink_Citronnade/germany3.jpg[/img] Us at Marionfield after the long journal was over! WE MADE IT! [/color] [color=330000]Just a few, I would blow up my scanner if I scanned them all! Haha! [/color]
shelly_freak Posted August 31, 2005 Posted August 31, 2005 Oh I know, I took 373 pics and I've edited and deleted and I've still got 245. This is gonna be one expensive set of photos.
BurkeFan Posted August 31, 2005 Posted August 31, 2005 I was in B17, on the corner with B18, B20, and B21, right near the speaker setup thingy. I stayed in Wittlaer, just north of Dusseldorf, with St. Regimus. My group (Crusade for Life) had catechesis at St. Rocco's. I have about 20 rolls of film... (I did other travelling in Europe too)
Dudette Posted August 31, 2005 Posted August 31, 2005 I was in B7 overnight then I went to E15 for Mass.
Maria Posted September 11, 2005 Posted September 11, 2005 Since I went and I've only joined today, I'm resurrecting this thread. For me, it was very different from what I had previously associated with WYD. For one thing, in Toronto everything was centred on Exhibition Place, and all we had to do was wander around and go to whatever we wanted. In Köln there was the Dom, but there weren’t any activities around there (aside from Vocation.com, which was always crowded). This and the fact that we were in a small group of a very different character (my sister and I were our own group, but we went with a francophone group from Montreal, very different… spirituality from anglophones) made the character of interactions with other people we met very different. In Toronto people were wandering around, celebrating, starting impromptu parties, etc. In Köln, everyone was going somewhere, unless they already were somewhere. So in Toronto there was more of an encounter with different cultures, and a celebration of it and our common faith. The encounters I had in Köln were different. They tended to be a bit more personal, as they would be conversations while we were walking somewhere. And, naturally, they were people we could have conversations with. The ones that made the most impact on my memory were ones with Aussies, and one with some Toronto seminarians we met during the opening Mass for Köln (as opposed to Düsseldorf or Bonn) while we were outside watching it on a screen because they weren’t letting anyone else in. Another factor in the sense of it being very different was that it was very cold and that we got sick. As well, the organisation seemed to only be on paper, and combined with the fact that they wanted to make us walk so that it would be a pilgrimage, we ended up walking A LOT. I think a fair summary of the differences would be to say that Toronto was a celebration, whereas Köln was a pilgrimage.
stargirl3:16 Posted September 11, 2005 Posted September 11, 2005 I didn't go... Sydney for sure, though.
Maria Posted September 11, 2005 Posted September 11, 2005 That's going to be crazy expensive, though. Well, I don't know where you're from, but it'll be from Montreal.
stargirl3:16 Posted September 11, 2005 Posted September 11, 2005 Well, if I book a flight and a hotel through expedia, it's just over $2200...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now