Paladin D Posted November 25, 2003 Posted November 25, 2003 I'm not refering to modern parishes, with cheap looking design and such (not to offend, but which is found in many Protestant churches I've walked into). But such as good looking modern parishes. Of course, we aren't used to such architecture, but if it's nicely done and not so... weird... do you think these may be the parishes of the future? European style parishes were quite "modern" when they were first made, why not "modern" style parishes? I think what most modern parishes are missing, is "detail". Would you enjoy a modern parish, if it had a lot more detail to it and not so plain?
L5 Posted November 25, 2003 Posted November 25, 2003 I just went to Our Lady of Angels Cathedral in LA last Sunday for a Regnum Christi event....I'm very mixed about it. I can see the beauty in it. There's a certain grandeur about it even though it is large and boxy. I'm gonna put up some photos later. One of the biggest criticisms was how the statue of Mary made her look like a boy. But when you look at it from the side she's unmistakably a woman. Her samurai suit is still questionable, though. In general, I'm disappointed by the modern churches that put the blessed sacrament chapel out of sight. ""They have taken my Lord, and I don't know where they laid him." Jn 20:13
Paladin D Posted November 26, 2003 Author Posted November 26, 2003 I just went to Our Lady of Angels Cathedral in LA last Sunday for a Regnum Christi event....I'm very mixed about it. I can see the beauty in it. There's a certain grandeur about it even though it is large and boxy. I'm gonna put up some photos later. One of the biggest criticisms was how the statue of Mary made her look like a boy. But when you look at it from the side she's unmistakably a woman. Her samurai suit is still questionable, though. In general, I'm disappointed by the modern churches that put the blessed sacrament chapel out of sight. ""They have taken my Lord, and I don't know where they laid him." Jn 20:13 Well from what I've seen concerning that particular parish, that seems a little "over-the-top".
M.SIGGA Posted November 26, 2003 Posted November 26, 2003 I Modern churches alot as long as the altar and the tabernacle are at the center of the church and it remains a sacred area of the church / not a place where everyone in the parish can stomp around like it's a playground. If traditional statues and imagery are out of style I wish they would just leave the church empty like a protestant one b/c The L.A. cathedral is unaccceptable w/ the Science Fiction looking BVM and the pagan stuff on the doors. That is more of a distraction if anything. I like modern art, but some of those new crucifixes are a little bit scary too. Those cheap imitation candles w/ the electric switches need to go b/c that's just tacky and asking people to pay 25 cents for a light bulb is just plain wrong. That's my two cents...
Paladin D Posted November 26, 2003 Author Posted November 26, 2003 A modern parish can have traditional statues, and candles. Mainly the structure of the Church being more of an "elegant" modern, but the items within remaining mainly traditional. Such as the statues and such.
Thomas Michael Posted November 26, 2003 Posted November 26, 2003 Modern churches can be quite lovely if they're not too minimalist, like some new church buildings tend to get. Prince of Peace in Plano ( http://www.popplano.org ) is one example of a minimalist design. Not much color, no set crucifix, and everything is simple and unassuming. One of my favorite church designs from the 70's is St. Monica in Dallas ( http://www.stmonicachurch.org ). From the outside it looks like a miniature arena. But inside is red carpet and dark finished wood, with a nice mosaic of Jesus as the centerpiece. A typical Seventies look, but it still looks lovely. St. Elizabeth Ann Seton in Keller ( http://www.seascc.org ) is a good example of a modern-traditional hybrid. It was built in 2000, and features elegant stained-glass windows and painted Latin inscriptions on the walls.
FX2 Posted November 26, 2003 Posted November 26, 2003 im more of a Traditionalist....i like the traditional gothlic looking ones. The worst churhces are the 50's style...those are just cheesy.
Paladin D Posted November 26, 2003 Author Posted November 26, 2003 I used to go to a Parish that was built in the 70's, and it was rather nice compared to many of the Catholic parishes I went. Unfortunately I don't got any images of it. Note: I like many different style churches, including the Gothic type. But I wish someday...since we are heading more into the future, they'll be able to make good looking modern-like parishes.
L5 Posted November 26, 2003 Posted November 26, 2003 I'm gonna put up my own tour of the LA Cathedral on my website so y'all can check it out. I'm so fascinated by it...call it the fascination of the abomination.
cmotherofpirl Posted November 26, 2003 Posted November 26, 2003 I wish I had some pix of St Paul Cathedral in Pgh, Pa. Other than another altar added toward the front of the sanctuary, it is unchanged. It is gloriously un-renovated!!!!
L5 Posted November 26, 2003 Posted November 26, 2003 I'm gonna put up my own tour of the LA Cathedral on my website so y'all can check it out. I'm so fascinated by it...call it the fascination of the abomination. Here's my personal tour of OLA Cathedral! L5 takes you on a guided tour of the Cathedral in Los Angeles
Hermione Posted November 26, 2003 Posted November 26, 2003 No... Absolutely not... No modern churches.. Modern churches bad... Ok, seriously now, I'm saying this out of experience... Architecture plays a very big role in providing the atmosphere for worship and modern structures are not as respected as traditional churches are... For instance, if St. Peter's looked like a giant Wall-Mart, would people look at it the same way? Singapore's churches are mostly modern ones... Funny zen-like interiors; several floors with the main hall being on the top... it's not the same.. I've been to these modern churches and people just don't respect them like they would an old church.. Somehow, it makes them dress in bermudas, shorts, flip-flops, t-shirts and tanks... Kids come in, and thinking it's something like a mall, run amok about wide open spaces (they exist because sometimes the church gets crowded--they'd rather people stand than waste space on pews).. scream... play with trucks, doodle in colouring books; mothers prepare milk bottles for their screaming kids....... However, if they were in a traditional church, the architecture alone makes people shut up... Traditional spaces demand respect, and people obey... Malls are made to make people feel at ease... At ease in the sense that they'll feel free enough to do whatever they want... It should not be allowed in churches... You're in the House of God for crying out loud... Show some respect!! :D
sista2b Posted November 26, 2003 Posted November 26, 2003 i don't know, i usually don't like them, but when i came back from a month in europe all i wanted was just a nice plain church with the tabrinacle where it should be, and quiet, no tourists. I went w/ a public school, so of course we didn't go to just ne church, but the famous ones, which had all this wonderful artwork, but it kinda sucked cause it was impossible to find Jesus. So somethimes its nice to have a plane church to keep from distraction, but i'm from an older parish, and i love the detail.
Paladin D Posted November 27, 2003 Author Posted November 27, 2003 Nice responses! Here's the big question... "Will they ever find a way to make fantastic modern-like parishes in the future?" Ones which they won't seem weird...
L5 Posted November 27, 2003 Posted November 27, 2003 Wihtout a doubt. Modern materials, modern engineering techniques. For example, one weakness of gothic cathedrals is that columns get in the way so if you get a bad seat you can't see anything that's going on. Also better acoustics would be good. One thing you can't knock about the LA Cathedral is the acoustics are amesome! A while ago I started 3D modelling my ideal cathedral. It would be modern in the sense that it is new, but it still observes the traditional designs in terms of an emphasis on the vertical, a focus on a centrally located tabernacle, ALTAR RAILS!, etc. We need orthodox catholics to design these churches, not "liturgists" or people who took some course in the "Spirit of Vatican II". So say yes to modern churches, but say no to mondernIST churches.
Joyful Posted November 27, 2003 Posted November 27, 2003 I'm not gonna lie.... I like Our Lady of Angels Cathedral in LA.
Paladin D Posted November 29, 2003 Author Posted November 29, 2003 I'm not gonna lie.... I like Our Lady of Angels Cathedral in LA. After looking over the photos again, I pretty much like it myself. It looks pretty good for a modern parish, just looks a tiny bit too wide open though. B) Just wish they had a different statue of Mary, and different doors.
FaustinaVianney Posted November 30, 2003 Posted November 30, 2003 I like the old traditional parishes even the big ones where the columns are in the way. I love going into an old parish and feeling the faith that built it. Not that the new parishes don't have that, but my home parish is like 100 years old and you can feel that it was built by people that had nothing but faith. The parish where I attend school is very modern looking and I don't really like the modernness of it 'cept for the crucifix, but everything is where it is supposed to be (the tabernacle, priest's chair, etc), so it doesn't bother me. I think it all depends on the people. Veritatem dare summa caritas *HUGS-n-PEACE* :)
Confessionator741 Posted December 1, 2003 Posted December 1, 2003 ill have to hook ya'll up with some pics of my church, really new, and really nice.... another really nice church that was built just before i moved was Corpus Christi in Phoenix, AZ.... ill have to get pics... B o and Cmom...St. Pauls in Pitt...ya, thats my turff, baby.... ill have to get pics for you.... B
M.SIGGA Posted December 1, 2003 Posted December 1, 2003 I have to appologize, the L.A. Cathedral isn't as bad as I originallly thought. I can't help think that churches, if they are going to be decked out with art, should be built as a place where the faithful can feel like they are standing before Christ on the altar in the midst of of the angels and saints. This is a little bit VI, but overall I would like parishes to still look like this (St. Mary's Assumption, New Orleans): This other pic is my parish at home, and you can't see it in this pic below, but all the stations of the cross and statues are outside the windows in front of walled flower gardens - really pretty. They recently got rid of the altar rail, but it is a modern parish and I think was tastfully done, but big difference from the previous pic, huh? (St. Maria Goretti, New Orleans):
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now