An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kanye West's Torrent of Criticism

Lil Red

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Sep 3 2005, 07:17 PM']he's a publicists nightmare

(an amazing rapper tho)
[right][snapback]710061[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
agreed

don't really like his lyrics too much

but yes he is an awesome rapper

u see how Mike Meyers looked at him right when he said that and how Christ tucker looked? Kayne West was just angry and had no idea what he was talking about..

In a city where something like 67% of the people are African-American and a good 30% of the population is below poverty level everyone should have figured out that they'd feel that the government didn't care. I'm not saying it's a race issue, and I'm not saying the government did it intentionally but when you're sitting in nasty garbage filled water with no food or water for 5 days you start to wonder why, in the most powerful nation in the world how this could have happened. It's a failure of the government and probably the biggest one we've seen.

[quote name='SarahB' date='Sep 4 2005, 11:52 AM']In a city where something like 67% of the people are African-American and a good 30% of the population is below poverty level everyone should have figured out that they'd feel that the government didn't care. I'm not saying it's a race issue, and I'm not saying the government did it intentionally but when you're sitting in nasty garbage filled water with no food or water for 5 days you start to wonder why, in the most powerful nation in the world how this could have happened. It's a failure of the government and probably the biggest one we've seen.
[right][snapback]710177[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Speaking as an outsider I cannot understand how the richest most powerful country on earth can end up like this. :idontknow:

We had a hurricane called Cyclone Tracey which no body expected it wiped out the city of Darwin on Christmas Day 1974 yet the Federal Government was able to evacuate a population the size of the ones left in N.O in three days using the army and air force. And that's from a small country. What we see on our TV is like watching some disaster in Hati or Bangladesh not in the richest most powerful country in the world

The people being stuck there isn't a race thing, it is a proverty thing. Those that could afford to leave, did. I doubt the gov't's respone to this was racially based, but that did drop the ball really bad. It shouldn't have taken this long, but nobody was writing off the people for racial factors (I never even thought of them as anything beyond the term "human" I didn't think, poor or rich, white or black, good or bad, or anything, to my mind they were humans that needed to be helped). And about the "racism" in the media, I don't doubt some reporters hold racial feelings, but something put out by the BBC or the AP or something is not going to go on the wire if it is overly racial. Most the "racial" things I have heard have compered two stories, from two reports from two services. If one reporter from one service does it repeatedly, then maybe they have a case.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Sep 3 2005, 04:12 PM']I saw the video of it. Kanye should join [url="http://www.toastmasters.org"]Toastmasters[/url] and learn a little more about the power of public presentation and articulate speaking. I actually felt bad for Mike Meyers. He looked like a deer in the headlights.[right][snapback]709896[/snapback][/right][/quote]

too funny! i agree!

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Sep 3 2005, 05:01 PM']Well said.

I think Bill Cosby said it best:

[b][i]"I can't even talk the way these people talk.  'Why you ain't, where you is.'  ......You can't land a plane
with 'why you ain't.'  You can't be a doctor with that kind of carp coming out of your mouth."[/i][/b][right][snapback]709960[/snapback][/right][/quote]

ash, i think i love you (in a girlie-crush kind of way)

[quote name='SarahB' date='Sep 3 2005, 07:52 PM']In a city where something like 67% of the people are African-American and a good 30% of the population is below poverty level everyone should have figured out that they'd feel that the government didn't care. I'm not saying it's a race issue, and I'm not saying the government did it intentionally but when you're sitting in nasty garbage filled water with no food or water for 5 days you start to wonder why, in the most powerful nation in the world how this could have happened. It's a failure of the government and probably the biggest one we've seen.[right][snapback]710177[/snapback][/right][/quote]

i don't think this is a race issue but a [b]class[/b] issue. the poor people were the people who couldn't get out.

Ash Wednesday

Never mind. Don't feel like saying more right now.

Lil Red: :D:

[img]http://www.thisispunkrock.btinternet.co.uk/ps/us/1/partridge.jpg[/img]

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Sep 3 2005, 06:01 PM']Well said.

I think Bill Cosby said it best:

[b][i]"I can't even talk the way these people talk.  'Why you ain't, where you is.'  ......You can't land a plane
with 'why you ain't.'  You can't be a doctor with that kind of carp coming out of your mouth."[/i][/b]
[right][snapback]709960[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I"m still mad at Bill about that. It still burns my skin.

[quote name='desertwoman' date='Sep 4 2005, 04:33 PM']I"m still mad at Bill about that.  It still burns my skin.
[right][snapback]710841[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why's that? I'm glad Bill Cosby is finally taking a stand, trying to change the black community for the better. No one can play the "racist" card on him, since he's black. :lol: